*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935285-Rusty
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1935285
A tragic misunderstanding leads to the end of a friendship.
         Theo was watching from his mom’s arms when the man took Rusty away in a cage.

         I remember Rusty looking so sad inside that cage it broke my heart, but what could I do? Mom had made up her mind, and when she does that, nobody can change it. She says they are taking Rusty away to the pound, which is like a dog jail.

         The man put Rusty into the back of the truck, where I saw Rusty one last time before the door slammed shut. On the back I saw the words,”ANIMAL CONTROL.” I guess that’s the guys who run the pound.

         I don’t remember when Theo’s mom brought home a black schnauzer puppy, but I remember that me, Theo and my little sister, Sarah, had grown up with Rusty. He was the friendliest dog I had ever met, and would bring the Frisbee back every time we threw it. He never got tired of it. Once I lost my favorite sweater while we were playing out in the woods and Rusty found it! I thought my mom was going to kill me, but she never found out.

         But that day, Rusty bit me in the leg. Me and Theo were wrestling, like they do on the television. We didn’t have any masks, or chairs to hit each other with, but we were trying to copy the wrestling moves they used as closely as possible. I accidently hurt Theo when I tried to do an arm bar, and he started screaming because he was in pain. That’s when Rusty bit my leg.

         When Mom came out of the house I was crying and my shoe was soaked in blood. She was frantic, and called the ambulance. The ambulance came and the woman inside looked at it and told me it wasn’t so bad. She cleaned it with some stuff that made it sting, then wrapped it up in white bandages. She smiled at me and told me I was very brave. I didn’t feel brave. I cried like a little baby when Rusty bit me.

         After that, Mom was furious and shouted at Theo’s mom, and she even used some bad words. Then she called the Animal Control. I wanted to tell her it was my fault, that Rusty was just protecting Theo because he thought I was hurting him, but I was too scared to because Mom was so angry.

         Theo came over to me while I was peeking under the bandage at the bite marks.

         “Are you going to miss him?” he asked.

         I wasn’t sure how to feel about it. My leg still hurt where Rusty had bitten it. Maybe I didn’t feel like it at that moment, but later I probably would miss him.

         “Yah,” I said.

         I don’t think Theo believed me, and I also think he blames me for what happened. He wouldn’t say that to me, but I know it’s true.

         “My mom says the pound’s gonna put Rusty to sleep. That’s what they do to dogs that bite people.”

         I was really unhappy about that. I didn’t want Rusty to die, especially since it was my fault.

         “Maybe they won’t!” I said, eager to make Theo feel better. “Maybe Rusty will do time, or something.”

         I don’t think I convinced him because he turned away.

         “Hey, Theo. I’ll talk to my mom. Maybe I can change her mind before the pound does anything!”

         We both looked at my mom standing there. She had her arms folded and was watching the Animal Control truck drive away. She had the same look on her face that she got whenever Dad wanted to have me and Sarah stay with her for an extra weekend so he could go somewhere with his girlfriend.

         I looked at Theo and but he didn’t look back. He knew I was lying, and that I wasn’t going to say anything to my mom.

         “Whatever,” he said. He started walking back to his house, where his mom was waiting.

         “Hey Theo! I’ll see you tomorrow?”

         He didn’t answer, but just walked away.

         I’m so sorry for what happened to Rusty. If I could take it back, I would. I hope I see Theo again tomorrow.
© Copyright 2013 Graham Muad'dib (tvelocity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935285-Rusty