*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935551-The-Playoff-Game-Player
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by upper2
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #1935551
Softball game from the player's perspective.
The Playoff Game: Player

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 The Frewsburg Bears Varsity Girls Softball team had a playoff game with the Chautauqua Lake Thunderbirds. The Bears hosted the semi-final game for the Section VI Championship. I arrived late to the game. It was the bottom of the seventh inning and Sam Mott assumed her position as pitcher for the Bears. The Score was Bears: 6, Thunderbirds 1. The first batter was retired on a swung on 3rd strike. The second batter made it to first on a walk. The third batter flied out to the Bears shortstop. The fourth batter hit a double to left field. The runner on first advanced to third, and the batter hustled to second base.



I’m thinking a normal pitcher would be scared. “Am I losing my control? I’ve got two on base in scoring position”. The first pitch was a ball low and outside. The second pitch was a strike. It’s now a 1 and 1 count with two outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Just a bit scary – as a single would bring in two runs. The third pitch was low and inside. Worst still it was a past ball. The runner on third scored and the runner on second base advanced to third base. Now the score is 6 to 2; with two outs and a runner in scoring position. The count is now two and one. Is Sam Mott rattled? The crowd is focused as the pitch comes in. It’s a hit oh no; oh yes the ball is hit to the second base player who makes an easy throw to first for the out. Sam was not scared. She was confident in her pitching and in the defense behind her. The Bears are heading to the Section Championship Game with hopes of advancing to the Far Western Regional Game.



 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1935553 by Not Available.


"The Playoff: Watcher
© Copyright 2013 upper2 (green5.5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935551-The-Playoff-Game-Player