*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935882-Rib-eye-redone
by Parker
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1935882
A simple steak dinner has higher stakes.
The gentle piano notes of Clair de Lune floated over the patrons seated at white damask covered tables. Crystals in the dimmed chandeliers reflected a twinkle from the low candles on each table. Tucked into an alcove between the bar and dining room a couple waited while the server placed their plates. Picking up their cutlery they began to dine.

As her knife sliced into the perfect rib-eye the juices flowed toward the mound of garlic mashed potatoes. The slender woman lifted the fork full of steak to her mouth and sighed in satisfaction. Leaning toward her dining companion she said, "It’s everything I heard it would be. What flavor!"

"Well Laura," her companion answered, "It is supposed to be the best steakhouse in the city."

Gently swirling the Cabernet around in her glass, Laura said, "Dan, I know I’m taking a big risk being here, but I can’t help it." "I’ve wanted to eat here for years and years, long before..."

"Yes, I know the before," he replied. Settling more comfortably into the leather club chair, he joked, "You know, I could get rich blackmailing you."

Slicing the tender meat, she looked up, dark eyes intent. "If you ever tell anyone about this, I’ll divorce you in a minute." Then a smile changed her fierce expression to one of a mischievous girl.

"Your secret is safe with me," he solemnly replied poking his fork around his salad plate, separating arugula and baby spinach, looking for the last grilled shrimp.

As her steak disappeared bite by delicious bite she again became serious. "Where do we go from here?" she asked.

"Well, it’s five thirty now, by seven we need to be at the book store setting up. The signing begins at seven-thirty."

"I hope it’s a good one" she said, as she forked the last bite of rib eye.

"I think it will be. Portland has a huge vegan/vegetarian community, and after all, your book Victimless Vegetarian is number one on the nonfiction best seller list."

"So it is," she replied as she placed her steak knife on the plate.
© Copyright 2013 Parker (portlandparker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935882-Rib-eye-redone