*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936856-Assignment-Three
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jordi
Rated: E · Assignment · Fantasy · #1936856
Dramatic premise vignette
“Tia said that I’d find you out here.”

Ryder stiffened at the familiar footsteps as they walked along the old wooden bridge towards him. He said nothing, waiting for the other man to reach him whilst he watched the river water flow beneath the bridge. The gurgle of the water across the stones a soothing balm to the tension within him.

Kyr came to a halt beside him on the bridge. Broad forearms rested lightly on the worn, faded wooden rail as he looked out across the path of the river towards the town of Kirenze far to the north. An uneasy silence hung between the two men like a low mist undecided as to whether to fade away in the sunlight or develop into a storm cloud,  angry and tempestuous.

“This is where I like to come when I want to be alone,” Ryder replied with a none too subtle dig at Kyr.

If Kyr was aware of the jibe he gave no sign. He was aware of Ryder’s preference for being alone with his thoughts. At any other time he would have respected this but the time for being alone was past. Action was required if both men were to achieve their goals and now was the time to press for that action.

“Tia said that you were thinking of moving out tomorrow, heading out to Kirenze.”

“That was my intention. I have business in Kirenze.”

“The business of tracking down Razu and Belan?”

Ryder said nothing. He wondered how Kyr had known about the two men he had been tracking. He never mentioned what his business in Kirenze was nor had he ever said aloud the names of the men he was looking for.

“I know that you have been searching for them for quite a while. I also know that you intend to quiz them for the name of the man who ordered the raid on your adoptive family.” Kyr looked across at Ryder, trying to gauge his feelings but Ryder’s face was impassive. The stern features revealed nothing of the inner tension that Kyr knew Ryder was feeling.

“You seem to know a lot about my business.”

“We’ve been following you for years. Watching, waiting.”

“Why?”

“Because you, Ryder, are the saviour of our people.”

This did catch Ryder’s attention. He turned and looked long and hard at Kyr, the pale blue eyes probing the other man’s defences. “I think you are mistaken.” He turned back to the river, staring without seeing ahead.

“I think not. Your birth parents were Ithcar and Nuri, were-dragons and king and queen of the were-nation of Zartori. When you were four years old, raiders came to your home and slaughtered all those within. Your nanny, severely injured by the raiders, managed to smuggle you out of the house and away from the attackers. She succumbed to her injuries and you were left by the roadside where you were found by Leon and Louise who took you home with them and raised you as one of their own children. When you were nine, raiders came again to your home and killed your parents and two of your sisters. You were badly injured in the raid and did not know that one of your sisters had escaped. A group of Saron warriors found you and raised you within their travelling troop. You stayed with them until leaving the army to pursue your quest of finding out who was responsible for the death of Leon and Louise.”

“Impressive, but I am not the man you want. I may be the son of Ithcar and Nuri but I have very little memories of them. I am no prince or saviour of a nation. I seek only justice for the murder of an innocent family.” He pushed himself upright and looked at Kyr, his face revealing nothing of what he was feeling. “Good luck with your quest for a saviour.”

Kyr watched him start to walk away. He had taken a risk in revealing what he knew about Ryder’s past but had been prepared to take a gamble on what his reaction would be. “What if I told you that the person who ordered the death of Leon and Louise is the same person who ordered the death of Ithcar and Nuri?”

Ryder came to an abrupt halt, his body rigid as he considered what Kyr had told him. He had often wondered if the two attacks were linked but he had never managed to uncover anything definite to confirm his suspicions. He turned and looked back at the other warrior. “What makes you believe that?”

“My parents head the Were Council. After Ithcar and Nuri were murdered the Were Council was created out of the vacuum of confusion their death’s left behind. They carried out their own investigations and were able to find one of the attackers. After a little persuasion he gave up a name which they then pursued.”

“This attacker, what did he tell you?” Ryder walked towards Kyr, his movements slow and precise as though exercising a great deal of self-control.

“He told us who ordered the attack and we were able to discover that this man ordered the second attack. You are a threat to him, Ryder. As long as you are alive, his position is vulnerable. The people will not succumb fully to his control.”

“Who. Is. He?” Ryder bit the words out, his blue eyes flashing with an angry flame as his fists clenched by his sides.

“His name is Lemos. He is the Emperor of the Were-nation.” Kyr watched as Ryder spun around, his intention clear to see. “Wait, Ryder. I know what you’re planning but it won’t work. Trust me, we’ve tried, many times.”

“What makes you think that I will fail as well? I trained with some of the finest warriors, learned techniques no one has ever seen before until it is too late. He will not know I am coming.”

“Your fighting skills are legendary but Lemos is not like others you have fought. He follows the path of the Dark Arts and that is what makes him undefeatable.”

“So far. Even the most formidable enemies have their weaknesses.”

Kyr hid a smile at Ryder’s refusal to accept what they had known for years. “Perhaps he has but we have yet to discover it. Our only hope is to unite the people against him and hope we have enough power to break his hold over Zartori. If you stand before them, it will give them hope, give them something to fight for. Your parents were the greatest rulers of Zartori. All weres respected them for their wisdom and leadership. To have you at our head would be an enormous blow to Lemos and his forces.”

Ryder shook his head. “You expect too much from just one person, Kyr. I do not have that level of influence. Nor do I have the patience to wait for them to follow. Now I know who is responsible I shall gain my revenge.”

“You would put your desire for revenge over setting your people free?” Kyr could feel his temper starting to spark to life. He was not a man easily angered yet Ryder’s rejection of a people who needed him to set them free was starting to raise his ire.

“They are not my people!” Ryder countered. “I left them when I was a small child. I was raised by another family and now you tell me that my survival signed their death warrant. I cannot let that go unanswered.”

“I am not asking you to. All I want is for you to combine your need for revenge with the fight to free the people of Zartori.”

Ryder swallowed and looked away for a second before turning back to face Kyr. Control had once more been regained. “You ask too much, Kyr. I cannot abandon my quest. I made a vow to them to avenge their deaths and I will not break that vow.”

“Ryder, you can keep your vow, just go about it a different way!” Kyr growled with frustration.

“No! Your family still lives, correct? You do not know what it feels like to see their bodies butchered, lying on the ground. To find your sisters with their throats slit from ear to ear, their eyes looking up at you but not seeing. When you experience that then you will understand why I must keep my vow!”

Kyr’s temper exploded and he grabbed the other man’s arm as he turned to leave once more. “I may not have seen my family slain like you have but I have watched close friends, fellow soldiers, innocent civilians slain in this war that rages in Zartori. I have shed tears with those left behind who have buried their families. Don’t tell me that I don’t know what it feels like!”

Ryder’s pale blue eyes met Kyr’s flashing emerald eyes, his entire body rigid as he slowly removed Kyr’s hand from his arm. In his mind he could see all of the memories Kyr had experienced, the pain and anguish he had felt each time he had buried someone. Whilst he may not have felt the sharp, tearing pain that Ryder had experienced he had known his own pain. “I apologise for my comments but I do not see how I can help you.”

Kyr relaxed, a rueful smile crossing his chiselled features. “As separate forces we are nothing more than a nuisance to Lemos but together… Together we can be something more. The people need someone to follow, someone to inspire them, give them the courage to defeat Lemos. We can give them that.”

Ryder crossed over to the side of the bridge and looked out once more at the direction of Kirenze. “I still want Razu and Belan.”

“Of course. I have some questions of my own for that pair. They are believed to be quite high within Lemos’ organisation so they may be able to give us some valuable information.” Kyr held out his hand towards Ryder. “If we help you, will you help us?”

Ryder looked down at Kyr’s hand before raising his head and meeting the vivid green eyes staring at him. “The only thing I have to lose is time by joining with you but I could also gain time and therefore lose nothing.” He grasped Kyr’s hand in a firm grip. “I’ll help you but it had better be worth my time.”

“It will be,” Kyr promised as he returned the handshake. “Lemos won’t know what hit him.”

© Copyright 2013 Jordi (jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936856-Assignment-Three