*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936987-Do-Unto-Others
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Joe
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1936987
A pupil of a dark Goddess seeking one from the light.
Word count: 1421
Do Onto Others Before They Do Unto You.


        I work my way through the cave-like alleyways, keeping to the comfortable shadows of the lower terrace of Falenthor. Within the confines of the shadowy darkness I felt at home. This magical black cloak I held draped around my body made me indiscernible from the dismal surroundings. My eyes quickly adjused to the darkness, as they always do. My steps become purposeful, my concentration, keen senses, and reflexes always alert. The three onyx stones in my hand silently rotated around my fingers.
I think Falenthor is such a place of misfortune.

        I am Talmilosa, Hooded Pupil of the Dark Goddess Lilith, and I seek the one called the Light of Rhea, also known as Valshanna. My mission, one of those deep dark thoughts, the blackest of which I enjoy, is to kill her. I will then receive a more venerated gift from the Dark Lady.

        I first thought this light to be a gem or magical stone, not a person such as a follower of Rhea; this Light is special. The beauty the followers of Rhea so typically radiate; the neat and fulsome appearance they keep, the fragile confidence they hide, the grand titles they possess.
Do they lose their identity to their chosen God, I wonder?

        Out from around a corner, a lone merchant appears, a look of surprise on his face as he runs into me. This was all I needed to help him meet my Goddess. Before his narrow face could change into a look of shock; he met Lilith’s embrace. I bathed in his sweet, fear-ridden blood as flesh and muscle were ripped from his neck.

        Whenever I drenched myself in blood I felt justified and my pain goes away for a moment, but it always comes back with senseless wrath. I can remember what that rush feels like, although those memories are faint; indistinct blurs and delusions really. They call me a fiendish abomination, but the next time I pierce my claws into their flesh it will feel so good and my senses will soar. I was fueled by the gift of the Dark Goddess and was once again pursuing this breathing, walking, Light of Rhea.
I think sometimes they make it so easy, traveling without servants or guards.
I will get close, because I like it that way; I prefer to feel the pain I inflict, smell the blood so fresh, hear the sounds of rapture, see the tortured soul embraced, and then taste the flesh upon my lips. That’s Lilith’s embrace.


        I, Talmilosa, could smell the goodness coming from her as I drew closer to her presence, and it reeked. Valshanna stood there with sword and shield embossed with the symbol of her faith, a tantalum-armored breast plate, the color of the setting sun, accentuating her bust-line, with matching engraved vambrace and greaves; all trimmed out with white chainmail skirting. She looked as gaudy as one would expect from a follower of Rhea. Valshanna turned to the shadows of the courtyard, steel true, and blade straight, she cast a focused eye on her new acquaintance, me.

        “So you’re one of Rhea’s pleasure maiden’s?” I said.

        Valshanna could see the storm in my dark green eyes. My icy stare a void of foreboding. Hair black as coal, blackish-grey patchwork strips wrapped my body. Lattice worked leather pants gave way to bare feet. My voice dead as the graveyard yet silky smooth like the lining of a coffin.

        “You think me a mere acolyte?” I challenged.

        “You received your gifts and blessings, so have I. What shall I call you, Pupil of the Darkness?” Valshanna asked.

        “Talmilosa is the name they all fear,” I proclaimed.

        Never once did Valshanna acknowledge my hideous form. The ugly visage before her did not make her cringe in fear like so many others. Her unblemished yellow- orange eyes peered through my large, repugnant, green, blood-shot globes. A thin, double-edged blade of burnt orange stretched out and met my wavy, broad blade, the color of rancid flesh. The ringing of steel echoed across the courtyard; contained within by divine magiks previously cast. A circle of light encompassed Valshanna illuminating ten feet around her. Not even the shadows of Lilith could penetrate’ but then again neither could the light of Rhea penetrate the protective shadow around me.

        Our swords clash as we circle each other, testing skill levels. A parry, a feint, a dodge, a riposte, a reverse stroke each measured and countered. My weapon however was lighter than normal, faster to maneuver; most were enchanted to slice through steel like candle wax. I managed to deflect her blade then, shaving a thin sliver off in the process. Pain I saw on her pretty face as my blades tip found a portion of the Light’s thigh.

        “You bleed like all the rest. Does it hurt you, flawless one?”

        “Not as much as the hurt within you. It must be unbearable. Tell me about your painful past.”

        “Not pain, but life, for life is pain and to cause pain is to awaken the life within, allow me to show you yours.”

        A surprise look in my eyes and a memory is revisited. Crippled, Lilith came to me; I laid there on the make-shift log raft, in the middle of the small lake. Villagers, among them those who raised me, tossing me and another tied up child onto the rough wooden surface. Neither of us functional members of society; no skills, no social worth, no…., but that was a long time ago. Flames overtook me and I was transformed, as the ropes burned through and I sank into the water I was changed. I remember that it was soothing at first, as the flames were quenched, but then my lungs yearned for air. Somehow I made it to the shore and crawled into the woods and passed out. I finally thought myself dead, but I was twisted.

          Swirling moves, blades dancing, and another swing hits its mark close to the first as I come out of my memory and tend to the business at hand.

        “Enough of this dark one,” Valshanna yelled out, “perhaps you will listen to this.” Valshanna’s sword bursts into brilliance as she struck back at my repugnant flesh.

        “The rejection, the feelings of hopelessness, everyone and everything against you, but you survived the fire and water; didn’t you?” Valshanna said, continuing to taunt as she urged the combat.

        A fleeting memory and I retreat and try to shake off this righteousness. The memory included life after the lake shore. It started as an indentured servant, and then the path led me to being a faithful follower of the one called Lilith. I was rewarded for my loyal service with blessings and gifts, which included magnificent powers and beneficial skills.

        “How do you know what I have survived? You should be more concerned if you will survive this encounter, dragon dung,” I said dodging and blocking her lunges and swings.

        I regrouped, then; swoosh from a sword tip as it passes my head. With quick reflexes I duck and spin, swinging my sword in a low yet wide arc pulling my dagger free from its scabbard. I regain focus and stand ready.

        “You have quizzed me long enough one of Rhea, for every time I look at you I get a fierce desire to let you go.”

        “You say that like you truly mean it, but I think not,” Valshanna replies.

        “I’ve heard enough priestess. Please no more. You have made your point,” And I bow my head slowly in feigned defeat.

        Valshanna turns to leave, confident she got through. “The rest is up to you now,” she said. “Repent and life shall forgive you.”

        With a rehearsed motion, I released a bolt of glistening ebony, hidden within the confines of my cloak, finding and burying itself, through plate mail and into the flesh of Valshanna.
The bolt was recognized as one of slaying which meant the magic, divine or arcane, could not be hindered.

        “You think you have completed your task Talmilosa, perhaps you have, but I shall ascend higher as that little girl beside you so long ago,” Valshanna said.

        The darkness wrapped its arms around me and I smiled, twisting the bolt inside her, toying with her pain.

        “Can you feel the last bit of life in you? I can.”

        After Lilith’s embrace, I worked my way through the cave-like alleyways of Falenthor refueled; my task complete.
© Copyright 2013 Joe (mysticmage1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936987-Do-Unto-Others