*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936989-One-to-Many-Heroic-Deeds
by Joe
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1936989
An ageing knight and his age old nemisis.
Word count: 938

One Too Many Heroic Deeds

        “I’m only going to tell you this once, so pay attention and listen up. I don’t save damsels in distress, you can go and see Jarrid he’ll gladly rescue a fair-skinned, long-haired princess for you. If you have a handsome prince locked in a tower or in a dungeon in the middle of nowhere that’s a different story, you’ll have to see Saundra, for that. Me, my main skill is monsters; monsters that are terrorizing hamlets or principalities, maybe even fire breathing dragons that are eating herds or burning crops.”

        Bertram nodded in agreement as he was nudging Alex, “Yes, yes. That’s what we need.”

        “We want you to save our village from a two-headed dragon that’s eating our people and burning crops,” confirmed Alex.

        “Then I’m the one for you,” replied Sir Rathburne, “He does breathe fire right? Because those are my favorites to slay, they provide me with more of a challenge that a normal monster don’t.”

        Alex scratched his head, “Normal monster, sir?”

        “Why just the other day,” Sir Rathburne continued, “I pulled a blue-scaled beast from his slumber and warned him that if he didn’t stop chasing sheep all over the hills, I would have to skin him. As I understand it, that particular creature has taken up a new hobby; chasing cows.” He winked at Alex before proceeding. “If you doubt my skills and need to see if I’m up to what you need, you can trail behind and watch the action.”

        “Thank you good sir, we would like that,” replied Bertram.

        “Okay, just so long as you stay hidden. I don’t want to have to save you too.”

        “Understood Sir Rathburne, but can we leave at once?” asked Alex.

        “Let me get my gear together, will you?” Sir Rathburne replied, digging through his scattered about equipment.
“This silver sword, it was coated in magic by one of my dear friends. A king gave it to me after I saved him from a three-headed hydra. This shield, it’s from a far off place. I think it was an island. It too was given a special paint by my mage friend. It's fireproof you know.”

        Bertram watched closely as Sir Rathburne was selecting pieces and discarding others. Sir Rathburne flung the shield in Bertram’s location and said, “Don’t worry about the dried blood. The dragon won’t mistake me for you or a tasty morsel.”

        They finally finished up and left Sir Rathburne’s homestead ready for the confrontation.

        “Where was this dragon last seen?”

        “It was flying over the pastures by the southern end of the village with about two to five people in its sight,” replied Alex, placing his hat over his heart as he spoke.

        “Please, he has to be taught a lesson,” begged Bertram his voice beginning to quiver.
        “How big is this one?” Sir Rathburne asked, as they walked over a bridge.

        “It’s only about thirty feet from head to tail,” Alex said, following behind.

        “Oh, just a little guy really. He’s hardly worth the trouble,” Sir Rathburne said, “Well then, it’s a pity he wasn’t smart enough to leave your town.”

        “Look there! You can see him as we pass this last building,” Bertram said while pointing in the direction of a nearby hill.

        The two villagers were afraid and losing their nerve so they stopped, not willing to get any closer. Sir Rathburne had to nudge them along.

        “You both can wait here or go down by that stand of trees and hide in the shade. I’ll give you a few moments to think about it while I check my armor."

        “We think we’ll go down by the trees,” replied Alex as he and Bertram scrambled for cover.

        “That’s a good choice. You can get a better view from there. I have to go to the middle of the field. I’ll be right back.”

        The dragon went down after only three slashes and three stabs to the body from Sir Rathburnes’s sword. Finally dying as the Knight drove his sword into the dragon’s chest puncturing its heart. Afterward Sir Rathburne went over to collect his reward from Alex and Bertram.
“The dragon was indeed easy for him. Wouldn’t you say Alex?"

        "I guess so, I have never really seen one in a battle before."

        “That was great sir, I have never seen such bravery, such presence of mind,” said Bertram.

        “With the larger ones I have to chop off their head,” Interrupted Sir Rathburne, “You see how I did it, cleanly. So many other so called heroes or dragon slayers make them suffer. Cutting off a foot, then a tail, then another foot, and then they kill them only after they hobble around. I like to get right to it.”

        “You're hurt Sir Rathburne,” Alex said with a surprised look on his face.

        “I’m okay. It’s only a scratch, the spike at the end of its tail found a weak spot in my armor. I will have to remedy that later.”

          "It’s seems like a lot of blood sir,” Alex said looking at the blood dripping from the armor.

        “You worry too much; I’ve bled like this before.” Sir Rathburne replied.

        Sir Rathburne took another look as Bertram kept staring at him, “Well maybe not that much, but I can take It." he continued, his voice sounding distant. "On second thought, can you carry me back to my..., It’s suddenly getting dark and I can’t see the way.”

        “Sir Rathburne,” Bertram said trying to roust him after he fell to the ground, but a response was not forth coming.                          (Sir Rathburne 17, Dragons 1)
© Copyright 2013 Joe (mysticmage1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936989-One-to-Many-Heroic-Deeds