*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937926-Waiting
by Shaara
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1937926
While her husband struggles, she waits patiently.
A Writer's Cramp story: Prompt:

Write a story 1000 words or less or a poem 40 lines or less with the following sentence:

"This is easier than it looks!"



Waiting





"This is easier than it looks," my husband said.

I believed him, sat down at the kitchen table to watch. After ten minutes, I got up and poured a cup of coffee, added milk and sweetener.

I offered Steve some, but he said, "Not til I finish this. I'll be done in a minute."

My coffee finished as well as the slice of toast with marmalade I'd fixed myself for breakfast, I sighed, got up and found one of my magazines. I'd been wanting to read it, but hadn't had time. I returned to the kitchen table, waited patiently for Steve to finish.

I flipped pages, eyed a recipe, read something about taxes, then checked my empty coffee cup. Should I pour another? No, I'd had enough. I stood up, poured water into a glass.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like that cup of coffee before we leave?" I said.

"Nah, I've almost got this. One more minute."

I opened the magazine again, read a movie star's advice about playing the stock market. I'd never heard of the company the woman professed to admire. Some tech firm with a new device that did something with cell phones.

I flipped to another page, admired a smart green jacket – the latest shade for fall. Non-washable? Forget that.

Ah, a piece of fiction. I sipped my water, slurped up a piece of ice, and started reading.

A counterfeit fifty dollar bill, a meeting with an agent from the FBI. Tall, dark-haired, chocolate eyes, muscles . . .

"How's it going, honey?" I asked my husband, feeling guilty because this wasn't the sort of story one should read while her husband was in the room.

Steve was panting with the effort of his labors. "I've almost got it this time," he said.

Jared Storm, the federal agent, handed a hankie to the young woman. "Dry your eyes, my sweet. This kind of thing happens all the time."

"It does?" the woman sobbed, tears softening her blue-gray eyes until they reminded Jared of lake water.

The agent's eyes moved on, skimmed the woman's loveliness. She's one sweet package wrapped up in a form-fitting sexy red dress, he sighed to himself. And with that thought, he turned away so Ms. Turner, Josette, wouldn't notice the hunger in his eyes.

"But I . . ." Josette said, wiping at a tear.

Jared turned back, admired the way the overhead light cast streaks of gold across her soft brown hair.

"Yep, here it goes. This should do it," my husband said, jerking me out of the scene. I looked up. The red and blue pieces of the Rubik's Cube looked right, but the yellow still didn't fit.

"I've got it . . . almost," he said with a loud groan.

I went back to my reading.

Jared Storm seemed utterly captivated by Josette Turner. I wanted to scream at the man not to trust her. A woman like that wouldn't cry if she'd been swindled out fifty bucks. Her Couch bag dangled over her right shoulder, the Ferragamo black leather pumps Jared had noticed were scratch-free.

"Oh, darn it," Steve said. "Look, give me another minute. I know I can do this. I've done it before. Lots of times."

"Okay. You know, we don't have to include that in the stuff going to the Goodwill, Steve. You could keep it, play with it all you like."

"Nah. Give me five."

Ms. Ferragamo Josette fit right into Jared's arms.

"Your kisses taste of cinnamon," Jared said. "I can't get enough of you. Kiss me again, my darling."

Geez, what kind of lipstick was the woman wearing? I sighed and closed the magazine. It was already ten o'clock. I had errands to run, couldn't wait any longer.

I stood up, set my dishes in the dishwasher, then turned to look at my husband. He was still bent over that silly plastic cube. Sweat had gathered on his forehead, his tongue peeked through his lips. I doubted Steve even heard my "goodbye," still too fixated on that silly Rubik's Cube.

Oh, well. A little rest and relaxation would be good for him. Hopefully he'd conquer the thing by the time I returned.

Meanwhile, soon as I dropped off the box of children's toys, I'd do some shopping. I'd decided that I definitely needed some of that cinnamon flavored lipstick.



728 words

© Copyright 2013 Shaara (shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937926-Waiting