*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1938355-New-Dawn
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Dark · #1938355
When a sister returns home her worst fears are met.
The Sun's Ray's
6 Years ago



Aurora had spent the day in school listening to her teacher whom sang miracles to her ears as she read the brilliance of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare’s view was captivating and Aurora only wished that she could be as radiant as him one day. For now, she could only be the best that she could be and use Shakespeare as an idol guide.



“O Hazela, Hazela! Wherefore art thou Hazela?”



Aurora’s gleaming voice soon cracked full of nervous as she peered up the stairs. The house’s lights were all turned off leaving a murky shadow that lounged around the house. Aurora felt cold on a summer’s day as she closed the door and shut out the fading sun. She hated the dark.



“Hazel?”



She didn’t much like being on her own either. Hazel was Aurora’s older sister. She had left school early today. Aurora wanted to go with her, but she was a good girl who didn’t skip school to follow her sister and she knew her sister would be ok. So she hoped. Only now she had a different feeling. Her sister would have come home wouldn’t she? The door was left unlocked so she must have been here.



“Hazel. Are you home?”



She moved forwards instead of standing in the doorway and thought to put her bag down in her room. The stairs rasped as she climbed them and approached the first door to the right. Hazel’s room.



“You better not try and jump out at me again Hazel. I mean it. You’re not going to scare me.”



Her voice shivered as she said the words. When Aurora placed her bag on her bed, she checked her room to see if Hazel was going to jump out of her wardrob at her. Or if she was under the bed. When nothing happened she moved to Hazel’s door placing a light knock on the door, but there was no answer. Just silence.



“Hazel. Are you in there?”



Aurora knew it was rude to enter a room without permission, but she slipped it open a little to just have a peck to see if her sister was there. She looked and she saw her sister’s figure facing the setting sun. At least she thought it was her sister. Aurora opened the door further until she could see what Hazel was messing with.



“Hazel! What are you doing?”



No answer. Just a step up onto her window ledge as if she was in a trance. Aurora followed the long knotted rope of old curtains from the loft with darting eyes to see it was tightly attached to Hazel’s bed. She was shocked taking in the scene before her with feelings overwhelmed her and she could think of nothing more than to get that rope off from around Hazel’s neck.



“Hazel, No!”



Dashing towards her, thrusting her arms around her waist, and then pulling Hazel down to the ground as hard as she could.



“No Hazel! Don’t do it! Nooo! Please don’t do it! Please! Don’t do it!”



Shouting through tires and almost breaking her lungs, Aurora’s screams at her sister were trying to break her out of the hazarders trance-like state. Her voice came out scraggy sore and broken, but she didn’t care as long as Hazel wouldn’t jump. As long as she was safe. And alive.



Only Hazel was convinced. She didn’t belong on this world. She was a waste of space and air. She was nothing. She pushed forward, feeling the wind pulling her away from the window. Away from the world and all its torments and pain.



Please take me she thought to herself. Please I don’t wanna live. My life is not worth living. What have I got to live for? Who cares about me? No one. Nobody cares. Nobody understand. Nobody . No one. Why? Why do they hate me? Why couldn’t they just leave me alone? I want to die! Why’m I not hitting the ground? Or chocking? Why aren’t I feeling whip-lash in the back of my neck? What would hanging feel like anyway?



All these thoughts went through Hazel’s head as she tried to push forwards. She tried and tired, but it was almost as if bumping into a brick wall. When she opened her eyes to see what was stopping her,



“Rora? What the...?”



“Please don’t! Don’t do it Hazel! Please don’t do it! Please!”



She saw a horrific sight of her little sister red eyed and wet in the face with her arms in a death lock grip around her waist. No! It was one of the worst sights Hazel had ever seen. Her sister in a much deeper place than pain. Dealing with the death notes and the ghastly pranks wasn’t easy, but she could never see her sister like this. It destroyed her. Crushed her. Sweet, insistent little sister that didn’t disserve any of this oh how sorry Hazel was. Oh Rora. What was she doing? Hazel thought to herself.



Hazel fell backwards after letting her guard down and flopped perfeticly on top of her sister who never let go of her waste. Crying and begging, Hazel was moved by Aurora and felt guilty and selfish for not thinking about her sister. But how could she be good to her?



“Rora.”



Aurora’s grip increased. Hazel tried a softer voice. A voice that came out hurt. Washed and broken. It was the only voice she could form.



“Hay. Rora. It’s OK. Shhhhhhh. It’s OK.”



Hazel stroked through the knots of her hair. It had come out of her bobble and was now all over the place. Hazel envied her sister’s red hair. It was beautiful and fiery. It made her smile. Hazel loved how bright it was and it just reminded her of the glorious life that Aurora had inside of her. The fiery life of joy and delight she had inside her. Aurora was a kindred spirit that Hazel loved for her beautiful grace and desired for her red hair that was so eye-catching next to Hazel’s dark rag of hair.



“Why Haz-zel? Why-y why are you...?”



She couldn’t complete a simple sentences she was so upset. It caused Hazel to tighten her grip and pulled her closer to her chest. At this rate the girls were going to choke themselves both to death. Hazel tried to rock and smooth her. Aurora soon got her breath back, but still felt uncomfortable with the rope around Hazel’s neck. She reached up and took the rope off from around her neck.



They pulled closer together. The sisters sat arms in arms with the rope lying still besides them and the curtains hanging from the window blowing gently from the late breezes that came in thought the window. Hazel and Aurora had met one of their worst fears that late afternoon and each made a promise as the light faded and the darkness took over. The girls stayed and slept where they were and didn’t rise up until the dawn of another day.







*****








Hazel awoke first to the sunrise through her window. She shucked her sister awake as she knew she loved watching the swirls of another day taking flight, pushing away the faint clouds to one side to clear way for the mighty sun’s light and warmth.



“I love how fiery the sun is.”



Aurora would always say. Another reason for why the sisters liked to watch the sunrise was to them it was energy; a source of power and beauty which inspired them to go out and try to meet the sun’s joy. It gave them hope of more as the sun settled out in the dark zones of space, yet still shined and thought against the abyss.



That star that shined brighter than others always reminded Hazel of Aurora. Not just because her name meant dawn or because her hair held the same overwhelming power as the sun, but because her little sister Aurora was her saviour. Her light. Her sun that nourished her world.



She moaned as Hazel nudged her. Soon that frown turned upside down as she saw the passionate symbol that she and her sister shared. The sun. Quiet literally too. Both of the sisters’s had a birth mark by coincidence in the shape of a sun.



As the sisters stood tall by the window that had held the greatest fears the other night, the meaning of the night before had been lost and swept away by the raises of the sun. By the new hope that Hazel had from its beauty and power. From the new hope of Aurora. Her sun. Her light. Her miracle.
© Copyright 2013 KiraLocket (kiralocket at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1938355-New-Dawn