*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940206-Conners-Hunt
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1940206
Conner gets a strange text at work, and then a string of other strange things happen.
          I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I wasn't a big fan of these weekly staff meetings. What do I care about what is going on over in radiology. I needed to be back at my desk trying to get the budget ready for the next quarter. Suddenly my phone started to chirp, loudly. I had forgot to switch it to vibrate...again. I quickly took my phone and shut it off. The hospital president glared at me, "If there will be no more further interruptions, I think we need to make room in our budget for a new MRI machine. Will that be a problem Conner?"
          "Uh, well, I'll have to take a look at the numbers and get back to you on that Mr. Allen," I replied, trying not to turn red with embarrassment.
          "Good, we'll talk about that later. If no one else has any other business, I think we can end our meeting here. And please remember to turn your phones off during staff meetings." Mr. Allen said, looking straight at me.
          I walked to my office and closed the door. I pulled out my cell and turned it back on. One new text message, and I didn't recognize the number at all. I opened the text and read, Meet me at 4 PM in Hannigan's Pub. Your life depends on it. Hannigan's? I thought, I haven't been there in ages. Not since Sean left for Iraq. That was our stomping ground before he signed up with the Army.
          I tried calling the number back, but it just went to voicemail. I didn't have time for this I needed to get to work, I somehow needed to figure out how to squeeze a MRI machine into an already tight budget.
          After a few hours, I needed a break and some aspirin. I walked down to the cafeteria for lunch. When I came back Theresa stopped me in the hallway.
          "While you were gone, someone came and left a package for you. I put it on your desk. I hope everything is okay." she said.
          "Yeah, everything is fine. Probably just the new software the hospital ordered," I replied. Theresa gave me a strange look and then walked off.
          I returned to my office and found the package on my desk. Well, it certainly wasn't the software, It was a jar full of black jellybeans. I hate black jellybeans. There was a note attached. I opened the note, it read. 'Hannigan's Pub. 4 PM'. This was getting crazy. I don't know who this was, but they were starting to annoy me.
          I tried to start working again. Someone knocked on my door.
          "Come in!" I yelled, without looking up from my computer screen.
          "Conner Mulloy?" asked the young man
          "Yes. That's me." I said, looking up from my screen. There was young delivery guy with what looked like a dozen black roses in a vase.
          "Sign here, please. Where do you want these?" He said.
          "Just put them on my desk." I said. I signed his paper and he left.
          There was a card with the flowers. I took it out of the envelope and quickly dropped it. It read 'Hannigan's at 4. Your life depends on it.' and it looked like it was written in blood. This wasn't annoying anymore, now I was scared.
          I looked at my watch, it was just barely 2. I had to get out of there. Grabbing my keys and phone I shut my office door and ran to the garage to get my car, but then remembered that I had taken the bus this morning because my car was in the shop. I cursed underneath my breath. I ran to the closest bus stop. Next bus wasn't due for 10 minutes. I sat down on the bench and rubbed my temples. That aspirin was not helping at all.
          "Hey! Conner! What's going on, dude?" said a familiar voice.
          "Oh, hi, James. Just getting some fresh air." I replied. James was an old friend of mine, known him since the 5th grade. He worked in the hospital as a computer programmer.
          "It's been one weird day." I continued. My cell phone chirps again. I looked at the screen. It was from that same number as this morning. Chills ran down my back. My finger trembled as I opened the message. 'Do not tell anyone! We are watching. Your life depends on it!' was on the screen.
          I looked back up at James and quickly put my phone in my pocket.
          "Dude! Are you okay? You look like you seen a ghost or something!" James exclaimed.
          Just then the bus pulled up. I got up and started towards the bus.
          "Yeah, I just need to go and get some rest. I think I ate some bad sushi or something" I said and got on the bus.
          I quickly sat down and started looking out the window trying to figure out where I was being watched from. I scanned the crowd for anyone looking out of place. Then I spotted someone, wearing an old fishing hat and sunglasses. Something about him looked familiar. I tried to get up and off the bus, but the driver just yelled at me to sit back down and the bus started moving. I got off at the next stop and started heading back towards where I saw the fishing hat guy. I scanned the crowded sidewalk as I ran down. There he is! I quickly stepped into the next doorway, waiting to pounce on this guy when he walked by. I heard a scream behind me. I turned and looked, there was an old lady yelling at me in some foreign language. I heard an unmistakable click of a gun to my right. I slowly turned my head. There was her husband aiming an old rifle at me and yelling at her.
          "Whoa! Don't shoot!" I yelled.
          "You leave! We closed! Leave! Leave now!" the old man demanded.
          I rushed out the door and into the crowd. I looked everywhere for Fishing Hat Guy, but I couldn't find him. My phone chirped again, another message from the same number. 'One hour left! You better hurry! Your life depends on it!' I ran over to the nearest bus stop. I was trying to figure out which connection to make to get to Hannigan's Pub when I reached into my pocket and cursed as I realized I was out of money for the bus. I was going to have to hoof it. I wasn't annoyed or scared of whoever was sending me these messages. I was mad. I wanted to go and give them a piece of my mind and my fists. I ran across the street as cars slammed on their brakes and drivers yelled at me. I ran about another 3 blocks before I had to stop and get some air. I still had another 8 blocks to go. I started walking towards Hannigan's when I spotted Fishing Hat Guy ahead of me. I followed him right to Hannigan's. I watched him sit down at the bar through the window. I went inside and walked up behind him.
         "I don't know who you are or what you want, but here I am!" I said in a low whisper.
          "Ahhh! That's no way to treat your little brother!" as Fishing Hat guy turned around and removed his hat and sunglasses. It was Sean! Home from Iraq!
© Copyright 2013 MsKelli (kellilvn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940206-Conners-Hunt