*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942039-Crossing-Over
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1942039
Logan gave Alisa a second chance at life but it's behind enemy lines.
Being a young woman of only twenty, Alisa Wright was one of the most powerful Witches of her generation. Her intent blue eyes scanned the rocky terrain around her searching for the Hunter who stalked her and waited to pounce from the shadows. The black of her hair blended in with the twilight since the moon was beginning its climb into the sky and the last traces of the sun vanished. Alisa could just make out the crashing of waves against the cliffs that made up the entire area. She crept along one of these cliffs to cut off a point of attack.

“Logan!” she called. “We've been playing this game for… what… almost three years now? I think we both know by now how this is going to go. I blow up your hiding spot, you attack me, I dodge, and so forth until one of us disappears only to meet again and start where we left off.” She soundlessly took a step forward as she listened for a response. But, just as she had said, they knew each other enough that he wouldn't respond because she would then know his precise location. He had also mastered control of his breathing so she could no longer pick it up with her sensitive hearing.

Alisa had enough of this game of cat and mouse and took delicate steps levitating into the air like she was climbing an invisible staircase. Now able to see around any obstacle, she searched for the Hunter. Urgency made her eyes buzz every way since Logan was nowhere in sight. A small rock moved over her making her jerk her head back just as Logan leapt off a previously unknown ledge above her. His two blades, each almost as long as her forearm, were pointed down aiming for her chest and throat. His brown hair, never longer then his ears, trailed behind him.

Alisa couldn't dodge but she positioned herself to grab his wrists and avoid the sharp edges. She fell with him no longer supported by her levitation spell. She had to think fast to get out of the situation or gravity would cause her death. She just needed to get out from under the blades.

Winds from the Ocean, come to me”, she spoke in the old language used for spells by Witches. Logan prepared for a spell but did not expect the freezing wind blasted in his face. The force of the wind slowed their falling speed just enough for Alisa to kick Logan over her head.

They both hit the ground on their backs, Logan holding his weapons, now pointed in the air, and Alisa holding his wrists. Their reactions were delayed by a few seconds while they regained their senses and their breath. Logan crossed his blades and rolled over taking Alisa along with him. He didn't have the proper hold on the handles to attack her directly from the position. His hazel eyes were set on killing her today and ending it once and for all.

He coughed out a laugh, “Ah, I almost had you.”

“Almost doesn't count.” She twisted her hands over forcing him to turn his blades out.

“It’s all about the element of surprise.” He yelled as the handles of his weapons grew into full length staffs. Hunter’s weapons always had special properties that were said to come from them being embodied with the spirit of a previous Hunter and the power of all the Witches they killed. The sudden force ripped Logan’s wrists free from her hold as he jumped to his feet. Alisa was not as fast this time.

She was on her knees with the blades of his staff crossed over her neck. Any magic she was still able to manage would result with her head on the ground before she could start. She let go of her tension, closed her eyes, and longed to see her mother and siblings one last time while she waited for the metal to do its job and send her into darkness.

"Aren't you afraid to die?"

She opened her eyes and stared into his. "Fearing death would only shame my family more. A Witch must accept their fate. Those are the words my mother taught me every day.”

“Do you always do as your mother says?”

“Of course.”

He muttered softly almost as a prayer, “Show no mercy for the fearless Witch.”

“I fear losing my family”, she suddenly confessed.

The tension on his weapons faltered. “What?”

“You said, ‘the fearless Witch’.” She saw a light through her darkness and clung to it. “I don’t fear death but I do have fears. I fear the affects of my death.”

He partially lowered his weapons. “I thought you were just a heartless Witch.”

“Being my enemy, I could see how you think that but a Witch is hardly heartless. Friendship, trust, and loyalty are Witches best qualities. You wouldn't know that since our usual conversations are curses and about killing each other.”

She could tell he was making the best out of this situation just as she was. “I have a proposition for you.” He fully lowered his weapons as a truce. “How would you feel about coming back with me to the Hunter Academy? You can call it research or infiltration, I don’t care, but I think we can both learn a lot about each other. What do you say?”

She thought carefully about what he was offering her. She didn't fully grasp it until he reduced his weapons to the size of a pen and tucked them in his shirt. Then, he held his hand out to her. There were many consequences and problems that she knew would arise very quickly but currently she was more focused on the fact that she could keep on living, even if it was among Hunters. She was being offered individuality, independence, a choice. She blinked and wondered why he was looking at her in shock. Then, she realized she was crying. She felt her cheeks and laughed, slowly growing louder. When her side started hurting, she wiped her face and ended her laughter.

“Thank you.” She smiled at him. He had lowered his hand during her hysteria and offered it to her again. She firmly grasped his hand and he helped her to her feet. She used the momentum to step right up to him and put her arms around him. She felt him tense but kept her hold. “Thank you”, she repeated again.

He relaxed and hugged her back. No matter what happened to her after this, she did not care. She just knew that she owed Logan Mitchell her life.

Three weeks had passed since that time. After their fight, Logan had taken her directly to the Hunter Academy and the headmaster. The headmaster was intrigued by her pitch and agreed to let her stay on certain conditions. He would arrange a private room for her in the dorms but until then she would have to stay with Logan who would also be her escort and guide. She could attend classes if she chose to at the start of the next term. She would be restricted in using magic.

The first bell of the day rang at the start of the new term. Alisa and Logan walked down the hall together to their class. After much coaxing from Logan, she had agreed to at least observe classes. Logan wanted Alisa to be comfortable in the school and attend classes but that was impossible with the attitude of the other students. As she walked down the halls, conversations paused and people jumped out of the way and stared as she passed. Logan looked up at her to see her eyes were straight ahead and her face was expressionless.

“Alisa, would you please come out of your room today and eat lunch with me in the cafeteria?” Logan pleaded.

She sighed, “You know you can’t protect me forever. Everyone hates me and I’m the one that has to live with it.”

He frowned and muttered, “Do you regret your decision?”

She smiled weakly. “I made the decision knowing the consequences. You can’t blame yourself for my choice.” He pulled open the door to their classroom for her. “And, no, I don’t regret it. Yet.”

He chuckled. He never thought he would get to know so much about her in the short amount of time they had spent together, then he ever had from the years of fighting her. Alisa pulled a chair into the back corner of the room and sat in quiet. Most of the classes were basic subjects such as math, science, literature, and language. The more specific subjects were Witch studies, history of Hunters, and, of course, training. At the age of twenty, Logan’s training would now consist of only planned fights daily. Logan and Alisa had two classes that morning, a class in the afternoon, and training in the evening. That was the schedule for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday and Thursday consisted of a class in the morning, training in the evening, and another class at night. The morning classes were the same. The students avoided her and the masters ignored her.

When the noon bell finished its final ring, a knock sounded on Alisa’s door. Just as she expected, Logan stood on the other side of the door. She sighed and rested against the door. “You really didn't believe that I was going to join you for lunch, did you?” She held up her newly issued academy id. “You’re pulling me to classes for the week so I might as well let you take me to lunch as well.”

While Alisa could tolerate the stares in the hallway, the cafeteria was a different matter. She got more looks in the cafeteria then in the hallway. The hallways she used only had the upper level students who were sixteen or older while the cafeteria was for all students. Alisa hid slightly behind Logan while they got in line. They sat at a vacant table. With the high traffic, Alisa was sure the table was vacated so no one else would have to sit near her. Logan tried to tell jokes about the classes they just had but she laughed at his expressions more than his words.

A girl approached them as they finished their meal. She was Jayna Mitchell, Logan’s fifteen year old sister. The resemblance between the siblings was all too obvious. They were just about the same except for the slightest variations. Jayna was the same build as Logan but her brown hair had a slight reddish tint and her hazel eyes held more green then brown. Alisa couldn't compare their personalities since she had only met Jayna once before and Jayna barely spoke to her then.

Jayna peeked over at Alisa, longer than the other students, before directing her question to Logan. “I hope you remembered that my birthday is coming up this term and you said you’d help me study for my Hunter’s test so I can advance next semester.” Students at the Academy could only become an official Hunter once they turned sixteen and pass the test. Hunters were still required to take classes but at an advanced level until the end of the school year when they turned twenty.

“Don’t worry. I won’t forget your birthday or to help you study. It’s only the first day of the term. Let me get use to my own classes and then I’ll help you.” He glanced at Alisa. “Or, if you feel brave enough, I think Alisa might be willing to help you as well.”

Alisa and Jayna exchanged looks before Jayna responded to her brother. “I’ll consider it.” Alisa smiled at the comment. It wasn't an outright no.

Jayna said her goodbyes and left. Logan and Alisa got up as well to dump their trays and head to their next class. Just like with the morning classes, Logan sat on a stool at a table while Alisa sat in the back of the room. As the one o’clock bell sounded, the master entered.

The master strolled up to the middle of the board and wrote his name. “I’m Master Mason Desrosiers. You may call me Master or Mr. Desrosiers or Des. I will be your teacher for advanced chemistry.” He took out the roster and called out attendance. Alisa shifted to get comfortable in her spot until she heard her name. “Alisa Wright?” She raised her hand timidly. Master Desrosiers raised an eyebrow at her position. “Alisa, I know you wish to observe but, for this class, I would like you to actually sit with the rest of the class. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can partner with Logan.”

She blinked a few times at him unsure if she had heard correctly. He waited quietly watching her until she picked up her bag and walked over to the empty seat at the end of the table next to Logan. When she was seated, Master Desrosiers called off the last two names on the roster. He then handed out the class syllabus and explained in precise detail to rules to prevent any accidents from happening during the term. After that, he began quizzing random students about basic chemistry knowledge they should have learned in previous courses. Once again, Alisa was not exempt from class participation.

At ten minutes to two, Master Desrosiers reminded the students of the reading required for the next class time before dismissing everyone. Logan and Alisa were the last to leave.

“Alisa”, Master Desrosiers called. Logan waited in the doorway while she went back into the classroom. “I hope you don’t take offence to me asking you to participate when you are only here to observe for now.”

She already knew she was going to like him and his class. “No, I actually appreciate it. It’s kind of nice to have someone other than Logan actually speak to me.”

He scratched his head. His dusty blonde hair, the same color as his eyes, seemed like it could never be tamed to lay flat. “If you ever want to talk about anything, I am usually available in my office or lab. Stop by anytime.”

She couldn't help but smile at his generosity. “Thank you. I think I will.” She went over to Logan who was still waiting. “I guess you aren't the only one here who isn't afraid to talk to me.”
© Copyright 2013 Ayame Karisuma (nursejoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942039-Crossing-Over