*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942890-Morning-Kiss
by Orphan
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1942890
Mornings will never be the same again.
The warmth from the sun hits my face as I wake up and realise it's morning. She's already getting dressed and drinking her coffee. She would always get up before me and spend a little more time getting ready. She started work earlier than me so I got to sleep a little extra each morning. Lying in bed with the sound of her shuffling around the room, trying not to wake me, is one of the coziest, comfiest times I can remember. Every now and then I would open my eyes and catch a glimpse of her squirming in front of the mirror, changing her clothes over and over before decided on the right outfit.

I always knew it was time for me to get up when she would lean down and kiss me goodbye for the day. Leaving the room and out the front door. We would meet again when the work day was done.

After contemplating whether or not I could call in to my manager, quit my job, run away and lie in the grass of some sunny meadow for the rest of my life, I'd throw back the covers and rise from my grave.

Her sweet, candy scented perfume would be lingering around the room as I pulled on my clothes and packed my bag for the day. Gym clothes, packed lunch, keys, wallet. Everything was with me and I'd be heading out the door to catch my bus for the commute.

The day would drag by and I'd go into a daze until my lunch was upon me and I'd hit the break room for some food. I'd give her a call and see how her day's going. We'd talk for a while and I'd tell her I loved her. She's tell me the same and we'd part ways again.

With ten minutes to go I'd start to get excited. Work was nearly over and I'd be home within the hour. We'd make our tea together and cuddle on the couch watching television. Before long we;d both start to yawn and head upstairs to bed. A goodnight kiss sometimes led to more. If we had the energy then we'd make love. It was perfect. The kind of love you make when you're truly in love with each other.

Being together was never hard for us. We had found each other early in life and we knew we had been lucky. At those moments we both knew it was a forever kind of thing. We'd grow old together and face all the problems of the world side by side.We saw the flaws in other couples lives and we found it difficult to understand how things could fall apart when you're in love.

If I've learned anything from life though, it's that things can change. It doesn't matter how much you might want them not to, sometimes, they just do. We live our lives as individuals and we can never know fully how another person perceives the world.

Now I wake up today and the sun doesn't shine. If it does I don't see it. My room looks different and empty. There's nobody shuffling besides the mirror and there's no smell of coffee invading my senses. The time doesn't matter as I have nothing to wake for. I rise up, I live a meaningless day and I fall back to my grave. It's a terrible time in life when you've been forced to be alone. When one card falls the rest come tumbling down after it, one by one.

It can only last so long though, this nightmare I'm in. I can't see it now but I've been told about this light at the end of the tunnel. I'll get there, eventually, if it's what I really want. I can make a new schedule that's all my own.

The thing I miss most though, is the morning kiss. It was honest and true. She did it not for my sake as she thought I was sleeping. She did it for herself, because she loved me. I loved her too. I'll never forget her.
© Copyright 2013 Orphan (orphan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942890-Morning-Kiss