*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943807-The-Fools
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1943807
A tale of two would-be lovers
It was the magic hour he thought. Just before dusk, enough light for the camera in her hand, just enough darkness that the occasional brush could be accidental. None were. Each touch thrilled him, bolstered his confidence. Perhaps tonight he would say something.

They walked along the river, the remaining light reflecting off its surface. From time to time they would pause, the camera would come up, a quick click then they would continue their stroll. When they were together the world would drift away for them. The road, a busy four lane road, was only yards away, yet the sounds of traffic faded into the background.

She stopped as the camera came up again, he didn’t see the object she aimed the camera at, but she stopped so short that he again brushed up against her. The touch of her body made him think of tenderly caressing it. He wanted to reach out and take her hand…
…in his, she wished. A stroll hand in hand would be so wonderful. It was really too dark for more pictures, but she would pretend just to spend more time with him. Those touches of his sent an electric pulse through her body, the hardening of her nipples wasn’t from the chill Autumn air. Her concentration lapsed as her breathing quickened. She couldn’t tell you if the pictures were in focus, right now she couldn’t even say what she had captured on the film.

Too soon it was too dark to even pretend and they turned, retracing their steps. They stopped at the diner, neither was hungry and drinks could be had at her house. They sat and talked over their teas. Each wanting to speak what they felt, both too shy and remembering past hurts.

Before long it was time to leave. They walked to her home in silence. Fifteen blocks walked lost in their own thoughts.  He was so engrossed with his own thoughts that he didn’t feel the tremor in her hands as she unlocked her door. Though he wasn’t so lost that he didn’t enjoy the sight following her up the stairs always provided.

Locking the door behind him he followed her into the living room, sitting at one end of her couch as she sat at the other. They had so much to say to each other, so much to reveal, secrets to be told. So, of course, they chit chatted of inconsequential things. He could have spoken of his heart to discover the echo in hers.

Yet they were silent. The fools.

She walked to the kitchen.

He stepped into the bathroom.

Each thinking.

“She might say no. But tonight I tell…”

“…him how I feel. It’s time. Past time.”

Two promises made, like so many times before. Until tonight promises never kept.

He returned to the couch and found her sitting, two cups of tea sitting on the coffee table. A few minutes more talk as they drank their tea.

As he took their empty cups to the kitchen he called to her.

“Anytime you’re ready.”

“Just a few minutes,” and she closed the bathroom door behind her.

Entering her bedroom he placed the oils handily on her nightstand, everything in easy reach, and lit the candles. As the fragrance of sandalwood filled the room he watched the door, thinking of what he wanted to say to her.

The door slowly swung open and she walked out, as always a towel wrapped around her. A shy smile played along her lips as she looked into his eyes. He heard her say.

“I’ve wanted this since the first night you came over.”

And the towel dropped to the floor.

He looked at her, taking in every detail. The fair skin contrasting with her dark hair. Her pert perky breasts, her hardened nipples centered exactly centered in her areolae’s as he had pictured them in his mind those long months ago after finding her again. His eyes flowed down her body, across her flat stomach. The shape of her hips he knew so well now bare. Then as his eyes drifted lower to the dark patch between her legs, neatly trimmed pubic hair appearing and disappearing with each stride as she approached him.

His eyes returned to her face as she stopped an arm’s length away. A smile still upon her lips and reflected in her eyes along with fear or worry. He knew what worried her, the same worry he felt each time he thought of telling her. As a smile spread across his face the look in her eyes changed to relief and desire.

A single step separated him from his heart’s desire. Without hesitation he lifted his foot and took the largest step in his life, right into her waiting arms. His hand rose, his fingers resting along her jawline, his thumb caressing her cheek as he lowered his head placing his lips to her in their first kiss. His lips parted slightly and his tongue slit into her mouth to dance with hers.

The door swung slowly open and she timidly walked out, as always a towel wrapped around her body. As the scent of sandalwood drifted to her she saw the room lit by only candles placed around the room.  She smiled as she looked into his eyes. There was a smile in his eyes that was so infrequently reflected upon his lips. This was where her fear of his rejection came from. He was such a solitary man, keeping his emotions hid so that she didn’t know how he felt. She heard her voice speak her thoughts aloud.

“I’ve wanted this since the first night you came over.”

And she let the towel drop to the floor.

She watched his eyes drift along her body, looking first as her breasts and nipples which she knew were hard by the ache, then down across her belly and focus between her legs. She walked toward him, stopping just out of reach. She feared he would step the other way, running out the door but prayed he would take her into his arms. The worry and tension in her nerve wracked body as his eyes returned to hers suddenly rushed away as a smile spread across his face.

As he took the final step toward her she put her arms around him. As his lips lowered to hers she finally kissed the one that lived in her heart.

The door slowly swung open and she walked out, as always a towel wrapped around her. He smiled as she entered the bedroom, always loving the sight of her then slowly turning away so she could lay on the bed and cover herself with the sheet.

The door swung slowly open and she walked out, as always a towel wrapped around her. She looked into his eyes and saw him smile, the smile she loved to see on his face. Then he turned as she walked to the bed, laid face-down and pulled the sheet over her.

“I’m ready,” she whispered. Cursing herself for her weakness and fear.

He turned and approached the bed, leaning over her and pulling the sheet down to her waist. He poured the oil onto his hands to warm them before placing his hands on her back and giving her the weekly massage. Cursing himself for his weakness and fear.
© Copyright 2013 tblaine (tblaine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943807-The-Fools