*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944321-Beautiful-Blue-Flowers
Rated: E · Short Story · Gothic · #1944321
When Kat and Shane go to the woods they see something they wish they had never seen
It was a late spring evening. The sky was filled with soft grey mist that swept our faces as the gentle breeze drifted by. Up above was the beautiful glow of the full moon. My brother, Shane, and I were out picking flowers for our mother.
"Kat!" Shane called "look at these flowers, they're blue!" Our mother loved blue, especially the ocean, so she would love these supposedly blue flowers. I rolled my eyes at how enthusiastic he was being but went over to him anyway. The flowers were very blue and beautiful. I bent down and picked some leaving the roots so they could grow back.
Suddenly I heard the creak of a dry twig snapping close by.
My body froze as fear crept through me. I tried to keep calm, but panic was already controlling me. My hands started to shake. This felt like the start of a horror story. As a rabbit ran past me I threw the flowers into the air in panic. I laughed at how ridiculous I was being. I bent down to pick up the flowers I had stupidly dropped, that's when I knew something wasn't right. As I stood up, I noticed Shane was being oddly quiet, staring at something in the distance. The way it had him so entranced put me on edge. I looked to where he was staring.
Then I saw it. A shadow in the distance. A man. He stood between trees up ahead. There had to have been something wrong with him, his body posture was wrong and distorted. Unlike anything I had seen before.
"Kat?" My seven year old brother asked, his voice shaking. "Who is that?" He moved closer to me and held onto my arm, which I wrapped around him for comfort.
"I don't know, probably just someone out here for a walk" I was expecting a dog to run past us to him and to have to laugh at ourselves for being stupid again. Deep down I knew that wasn't true.
Suddenly,the shadow spun around sprinting towards us letting out a viscous snarl.
I grabbed Shane and ran. Ran until my chest was on fire then carried on running. Footsteps were pounding behind us; not one pair of feet but two. I didn't dare look behind to see what was there, I just ran, dragging Shane with me, trying to make sense of what was happening. Shane fell gasping for breath. We didn't have time to stop, we needed shelter, and quick he/it was gaining on us quick, inhumanly quick.
It dropped onto all fours, quickening its pace. All fours? What? I dragged Shane to stop him from stopping, if we did we won't be giving mother the flowers. Jumping over branches and fallen trees, we ran further into the eerie wood, that no longer felt safe like when I hang out here with my friends, but a wilderness of creatures all reaching down to hold me back and tear at my face. Quickly we scrambled behind the nearest tree. I held my hand over Shane's mouth to stop his heavy breathing giving us away. My heart was pounding.
The snarling had stopped.
So had the footsteps.The woods had returned to its earlier tranquility, the vibrant green grass swaying gently in the breeze, the place was silent. Too silent. Horribly silent.
I didn't have time to start running or scream.
Mother was never getting those beautiful blue flowers.
© Copyright 2013 TheNotebook (thenotebook at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944321-Beautiful-Blue-Flowers