*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944514-Teddies-in-Trouble
Rated: E · Fiction · Community · #1944514
A fictional story about the care and rehabilitation of stuffed animals
CHAPTER ONE: Mrs. Honeywell deftly plied her embroidery needle, taking extra care to fluff the acrylic fur of her current patient. On occasion, she would hold the plush bear up to examine her handiwork. When Morris's eyes had been reattached, the kindly widow fluffed up his fur once again, then sat him in a small rocking chair while she brewed herself a cup of tea. With thick curls the color of ginger, Beatrice almost resembled a teddy bear herself! Years of pastries baked and shared with her family and community had contributed to her round figure, but she felt it suited her. And now that her children had grown and relocated with their families, Beatrice knew it was wise to keep busy, lest loneliness creep in. The reality was, jobs were scarce in the small Midwestern town. If you wanted to provide for your family, you sometimes had to pack up and move to a larger city. Beatrice understood that. Besides, they kept in touch as much as possible. The advent of computer technology and social networking sites made it easier. Despite her age, Mrs. Honeywell was becoming quite computer savvy. In fact, that was how she had found this job. While perusing a blog on childrens' advocacy, she became aware of the need for stuffed animals for abuse victims. Police carried them in their vehicles to give to traumatized children. That's when the idea popped into her mind: "Every child deserves a teddy bear." Beatrice supported herself on a fixed income, but decided she would find a way to do her part in making this happen, so she founded "Teddies in Trouble", a nonprofit agency dedicated to rehabilitating used (and sometimes abused) bears into new friends for youngsters in need. But that was just the beginning.....
© Copyright 2013 Simpfan (simpfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944514-Teddies-in-Trouble