*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944974-A-Call-To-Bible-Study-Leaders
by Fancy
Rated: E · Article · Religious · #1944974
An article about starting bible studies for the elderly.
A CALL TO BIBLE STUDY LEADERS

Leviticus 19: 32 says, “You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Thank you for calling. How may I direct your call?” the voice on the other end of the line said.

“Can I speak to your activities director?” I asked.

“Please hold.”

A different woman picked up the line, “How can I help you?”

“I am calling to find out if your residents are in need of a bible study.” I replied.

One call. That is all it took.

Nursing home and assisted living facility residents are an admirable people. However, they are a forgotten people as well. There are 3.3 million residents living in the nearly 16,000 nursing homes in the United States. 3.3 million! Less than ten years ago, per the 2004 National Nurses Survey there were only 1.5 million residents.

Sonshine Society states on their webpage, “If we are to dream of an outreach to the “four corners of the earth” we must not and cannot neglect our very own at our very door in their hour of greatest need.”

These residents are from the age of The Depression. They lived in a time before televisions, computers, and cell phones. They are filled with interesting histories. History waiting to be told.

Psalm 92:14 says, “They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing.”

Just like any other bible study group, these seniors are still very much capable of serving the church. The residents can send emails, make phone calls or mail letters and cards just to name a few. Because they are in a home does not make them ill-equipped to serve the Lord.

Some residents are left alone, lonely and depressed. Their children have passed away or live in a different state. They have no help connecting to God. Imagine how many people can be brought to their salvation.

When I was twelve I volunteered at the Animal Shelter on Mojave Road. Each week we would take dogs and cats to local nursing homes to visit the residents. I will never forget the experience.

The residents enjoyed the interaction with the animals. But most of all they loved the interaction with the volunteers. The residents talked to the volunteers sharing wonderfully interesting stories of their past. The influence the residents had on me at such a young age is unsurpassed.

Proverbs 11: 25 says, "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

I challenge all bible study leaders and all Christians. Get involved. There are many souls to save. There is a need for bible studies in nursing and assisted living homes in the Las Vegas area. Step up. Become a change maker. Make a difference. Fill a need.

We are all called to serve. Do you realize what it means to save someone in his or her last season of life? There is great importance in that.

It is time to spread the message of Jesus Christ. Spread the Good News! And do it for the growing number of residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. It is our obligation to help our elderly find Jesus Christ.
© Copyright 2013 Fancy (fancy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944974-A-Call-To-Bible-Study-Leaders