*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945992-Who-Doesnt-Like-Harold-Smith
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1945992
A must-read for perfectionists/pleasers. A boy finds that his views are twisted around.
Who Doesn't Like Harold Smith?

By Marcus Osmond


Harold finally crashed through his thin, glass window of sleep. His alarm pounded his eardrums like sirens. Harold patted areas on his end table until he finally landed on the spot that held the snooze button. Soon after, he slowly sat up in his bed and scratched his curly hair. His eyes sharply widened as he jerked his head back toward his alarm. "Crap, I have 15 minutes." He muttered to himself as he shuffled out of bed. After a handful of raisins and a cheese stick, Harold swiped his hand over his hair a couple times in the mirror. "Ah, whatever," he exclaimed as he threw his hand down. Harold grabbed his old backpack as he stumbled on some clothes on his floor. Harold's mother could barely fit a whole sentence into Harold's ears before Harold dashed out the front door. "Bye, honey, I hope you have a good day-" Harold quickly responded as he shut the door, "Yeah, you too."

"Alright everyone, I hope you studied for today's test!" Mrs. Chops said as she clasped her middle-aged hands together. Grumbles immediately surged from every corner of the classroom. "I'm going to give you ten minutes to review the material. Then, I'll pass out the test. Good luck!" Mrs. Chops responded as though she didn't hear the unenthusiastic response from the classroom. Three minutes later, a squeak and the moving of wood stole the attention of half the class and Mrs. Chops. The seemingly ancient door popped open halfway as 16 year-old Harold stumbled in. "They've gotta uh.. gotta get a new door," Harold mumbled in embarrassed. The front half of the class giggled. Mrs. Chops rose her arm up with a stone face. "Harold, we're studying for the test today." Harold walked over to her metal desk. "We have about six more minutes before we take it. You're tardy by the way," she continued. Harold scratched his head and mumbled, "Yeah, sorry. It was a rough night." Harold quickly turned his head back to her. "umm.. I didn't really get time to study. Do you think I can come in another time and take it?" Mrs. Chops tightened her lips and shrugged. "I don't know what to tell ya? Just try your best." Harold gave an insincere smile of faint hope and tried to laugh. "Okay." Harold started toward the back row of the class. A paper hornet nailed him in the chest. Harold smiled and moved on. Alex, an old friend from sixth grade, reached out his arm and gave Harold a high five as Harold crashed into his seat. Alex turned around from the seat in front of Harold. "Hey, Harold, my birthday party's tonight at five. You're comin', right?" Harold paused for a moment and remembered the history test that he had to study for that night. "Uh yeah," he blurted with a fake smile." As soon as Alex turned back around, Harold sat blankly for the remainder of study time. He daydreamed about him saving the world and having a secret mission.

"So, technically, we can make a circuit board with what we have, but it's really difficult." Some nerds were debating across from Harold at the lunch table. Harold was only half interested. He really just sat by them because they were the only one's in the lunchroom he felt comfortable sitting next to. He spent a third of lunch time eating, a third pretending to listen, and a third staring at some popular loudmouths at another table. Harold longed to be surrounded by people. Right as harold threw a french fry in his mouth, a brunette named Eliza, dropped a book next to where he was sitting. Harold lunged out and picked it up for her. "Thanks," she called back as she started toward the group of popular kids. Harold lost his smile in disappointment as he watched this pretty girl poke a blockhead in the side. He narrowed his eyes in disgust as the blockhead turned around and hugged her. "Does it ever bother you guys that you're not surrounded by girls all the time?" Harold decided to change the subject. One nerd said, "well, I have better things to do." Another spoke up, "What are you talking about? I'm covered in girls!" Harold gave a pity smile, "uh huh."

Harold trodded into the counseling office. "Hey, Mrs. Fox, how are ya?" Mrs. Fox smiled and nodded. "I'm good Harold, how are you?" Harold put his elbow on the desk and leaned up against it. "Oh, I'm swell, thanks. Hey I was wondering if I can see my grades again real quick?" Mrs. Fox raised a brow as she moved her mouse around on her computer. "Harold, you're a straight A and B student, why would you want to see it so badly? This is the fourth time this week!" She chuckled. Harold slowly smiled. "Oh, ya know. Just checking." Mrs. Fox folded the freshly printed paper in half and placed it in Harold's shaky hand. "Thanks," he said, lifting the paper up and nodding. Harold anxiously opened the paper as he slowly walked out of the counseling office. "C minus!?" He mouthed to himself. "What the crap?! I know I did better than that!" Harold eyeballed the rest of his grades. He saw one A, one A-, one B, two B-'s, two C's, and even a D+. This was nothing like his last report card.

Harold speed walked to Leadership class -fourth period. "I cannot be late again, or Mr. Eckles will shoot me!" Harold thought to himself. Mr. Eckles was a loud, agressive, and strong meathead with a goatee in his 30's. You were foolish if you ever messed with him. Harold arrived in a classroom loaded with standing students. The chatter was so noisy that one could barely hear his or her self talking. "Alright! Listen up!" Mr. Eckles shouted, which immediately grabbed everyone's attention. "We're gonna go into the auditorium and sit quietly!" He slowly emphasized the word, quietly. "Let's go!" All students in the class submissively followed Mr. Eckles out the classroom door. "Holy cow!" Harold thought. "I barely wrote a sentence!"

"Thank you all for coming," Principal Clements spoke into the microphone. Most everyone quieted down. "We're first going to hear from our leadership students-" Applause started (Mr. Eckles leadership class was famous in the school). "Thank you, yes, thank you." The applause quieted. "We'd like to start with Harold Smith-" Applause erupted, and a whistle came from the back. "Yes, his speech last year was amazing. This is a boy with amazing leadership potential. Harold, come on up here!" Applause continued. However, Harold almost wet his pants as he bashfully came out of the audience with a loose leaf paper. Harold adjusted the microphone. "Uhh, thank you, thank you." The applause started to fade. "I uh.." Microphone feedback rang through for a bit. "I just wanna say.." Harold felt the sweat trickle down his face and back as he tapped his foot. "I uhh, I wanna say something, obviously!" Some people laughed. Harold started to lose it. "Well, I don't really know what to say. I never really know what to say." Harold started stuttering and getting choked up. Everyone began to grow a worried look on their faces. "I've had a lot going on lately, oh." He dropped his paper and began to tremble and shake. "I just wish I could do or be something!" He stammered in frustration. He stayed still for a second and speed walked off the stage towards the bathroom. The crowd was stunned. Harold, bolted toward the sink and splashed water on his face. He stared at the mirror in astonishment. Principal Clements finally came back to the podium. "Well, uh, I hope he's okay. Let's move on to our next speaker. Give it up for Brad Rogers!" Brad was a rather popular and surprisingly well-mannered jock. He was a linebacker on the school's football team. "Thank you," he interjected. Brad paused for a moment in deep thought. "Ya know, I really feel for the guy. I mean, some of you may not believe me, but, I was really nervous for this speech too." The rest of the crowd started smiling in liberation. "Do you guys like Harold?" The crowd screamed and applauded. "I know, right? Who doesn't like Harold Smith?" The crowd nodded, applauded, and mumbled in agreement. "I honestly think everyone should be more like him. In fact, I'll tell you what: Tomorrow, lets all throw a surprise party at his house. You know.. to show how much we appreciate him." The crowd stood up in applause. Even the faculty nodded their heads in agreement.

The next day, Harold walked home by himself in shame. "I can't believe I did that!" Harold thought. He couldn't seem to let this go. "They all probably think I'm so weird now." Eventually, when sweaty Harold reached his middle-class home. He jingled with his keys and pried open his front door. Harold nearly jumped out of his skin as a house full of kids shouted: "We love you, Harold!" Harold stood in his foyer with an expression of excited, puzzled, awe. "W...What? Hey everyone!?" Above him was a big, yellow, spray painted banner that read: "We love Harold Smith!"

When everyone was almost gone that night, after tables full of junk food, a messy house, and people praising Harold, Harold's spirit's couldn't have been higher. However, his smile faded as he watched Eliza, his crush, exit the door without a word. Harold looked worried. Eliza stopped in her tracks and turned around towards Harold. She slowly started toward him. "Harold." Harold quickly perked up and muttered, "Hey, thanks for coming!" Eliza gave a peaceful smile and said, "Harold, thank you for being you. You're so kind and thoughtful. I've wanted to come sit by you at lunch, but I was afraid of what you might think of me." Harold widened his eyes and gaped. He tried to talk, but he could only make out noises instead of words. Eliza continued. "You're a sweetheart. Don't ever change." She kissed him on the cheek and headed out the door. Harold stood in that spot for five minutes in awe. He was almost certain that this was a dream.

Harold was a changed man. He knew that he had been prideful. Luckily, that night, he came to an important conclusion: It's not about being popular, it's about being full of love for everyone. Two days later in Biology class, another childhood friend whispered over to Harold. "Hey, Harold, are you coming to my party tonight." Harold, now remembering the Biology test the next day, smiled and responded confidently. "Hey man, I'd love to, but I've got some stuff to do tonight. I'll have to take a raincheck, but thanks!" His friend replied, "Alright, cool." Harold was surprised at how easy that was, and his friend wasn't even offended! During the next few weeks, Harold's grades rose all the way up to A's and A-'s, and guess what? People still liked him just as well if not more.
© Copyright 2013 Multiman (mookanator88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945992-Who-Doesnt-Like-Harold-Smith