*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1948441-A-few-causes-and-risks-of-breast-cancer
Rated: E · Article · Health · #1948441
Breast cancer is the most dreadful disease in women of all the diseases they encounter.
Breast cancer is seen in women as well as men. Among all the breast cancers, that which affects males is grouped as one percent of all types of breast cancers. It is estimated that nearly 2, 29, 000 breast cancer cases are observed in women in the United States per one year while 2200 breast cancer cases are observed in men. Unlike all other cancers, the main reason for breast cancer is not known. If the breast cancer is in advanced stage there is no cure as such and there is no definite way of preventing it.


Introduction

The development of breast cancer and its knowledge will expand quickly. There are a few medications developed which help in reducing the risk of breast cancer in people who are at higher risk of surrendering to this disease. In most of the women factors such as weight reduction, alterations in lifestyle, exercise and diet help in decreasing the development of breast cancer. The advanced method of maintenance of survival rate in breast cancer patients is screening and detection in the early stages. The second major cause of death due to cancer in the United States among women is breast cancer. The first cause is observed as lung cancer. It is assessed that one out of eight women come across breast cancer in the United States. The people who have first degree relatives with breast cancer are at higher risk of contracting this disease as there are fair chances of the          cancer genes to get inherited to the progeny.

Causes

Defects in DNA

The cells bearing the defects in the genetic material or DNA are characterized to be cancer cells and breast cancer cells will possess defects associated with the DNA of the given cells. If the DNA strand has defects in its genes, then it will result in gene coding errors which result in diseases. When the genes that are responsible for the control of the growth of the cell are found defective, the cells tend to multiply without any restriction. If the cells grow without any restriction, they form a tumor and will attack tissues and organs of the neighboring areas. The tumor cells will get separated later and spread to the other parts of the body known as metastasis. The defects in the DNA leading to cancers might be present from birth or might develop at the time of adult life.
Nearly, five percent to ten percent of breast cancers are caused due to the defects present in the BRCA genes like BRCA1 and BRCA2. These breast cancer genes in their normal state will avoid the abnormal growth of the cell causing cancer.

Risk factors

Family history of breast cancer

The risk of breast cancer will increase when the mother or sister or daughter of the patient is detected with breast cancer at a earlier age. But, there might be breast cancer patients who do not have any family history of this disease.

Women with breast cancer previously

If the women had breast cancer in one breast previously, she might have higher chances of developing cancer in the other breast.

Radiation exposure

Those who have undergone radiation treatment in the chest region as a child or as an adult, then the breast cancer risk is enhanced.

Age

The breast cancer risk is increased as the age progresses. Women who have a menstrual period started before the age of 12 years are at higher risk of developing breast cancer.

Menopause delay

Women who had menopause after 55 years of age also are higher risk of developing breast cancer.
Having a first child at an older age

Women who became pregnant after 35 years of age are at higher risk of breast cancer.

No pregnancy

Women who were never pregnant are observed to develop breast cancer than those who had one or more pregnancies. 

Habitual reasons

Alcohol intake, intake of diet with high fat content and cigarette smoking are some of the habits that might lead to the development of breast cancer.
© Copyright 2013 Hareepriyaw alias Haripriya (jahnaviabhi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1948441-A-few-causes-and-risks-of-breast-cancer