*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1948526-Absolution
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1948526
Absolution Chapter 1 The Journey Begins
Absolution


Intro
Every animal has a heart, a central driving force. Blood flows, a soul inside.
So does every nation, a capital city. A seat of government, trade and people.
Is England any different? Like a castle it has its own moat, an island in Northern Europe.
The six ravens of the Tower of London are said to keep the balance of the Kingdom of England.
So long as they are healthy, alive and well, the kingdom will prosper.
But if they fall into despair, the land will suffer.

Those that believe this legend will be locked in a battle against nature, as such a mighty nation owes its existence to something as frail as six little birds.
But who would be so ignorant to turn their back on such a legend.
Certainly not its own king!
King Richard the Lionheart, crusader and king of England dismisses the idea.
He along with many others don’t believe the legend.
Is it their undoing?

Ch-1
There was clanking down the halls of the White Tower as a guard rushed in to the king’s dimly lit chamber frantically exclaiming “The ravens are gone!”
King Richard responded calmly without alarm “You’re awfully troubled by this.”
The guard in a small voice asked “You don't believe the legend, sire?”
“Why would I bother myself with pagan nonsense” The king said as he scratched his beard.
“But you aren't afraid of the end times?”
“With God at my side, I shall fear no evil.”
A pause and the king asked “Now is that all?”
The guard regaining his nerves responded “Yes M’lord”
As the guard began to walk out, but then the king announced
“We still are at war with the French and Scots as well, the Pope has called for another crusade. We have greater threats other than the serf’s superstition”
The guard mumbled “You fight for the Pope but not your own people”
But no one heard him

Following days King Richard called for expansion to the castle’s defences. In paranoia?
A week later Pestilence broke out, latter famine, order was collapsing.
The bishop soon called for the King exclaiming “The end of time is upon us! This is a punishment by God just like the Pharaoh, you must act!”
The king looked out one of the windows to see fires in the city, he took a while to respond and said “I will go to Jerusalem and free the Holy Land from the Saracens”
Another pause and then he painfully said “Call for a hero to find these ravens.”
The bishop bowed and left to carry the news
Meanwhile the king leaned against the window peering out and sighed “ What curse has been set on us”
The weeks pass before a lone hero came to the tower, their savior.
He wore a chain mail shirt with a leather cuirass over it and had a fur cloak draped over his shoulders along with wolf’s head as a helmet. He was armed with a bow and short sword. He smelled and looked like he’d been living in the woods for a while. He had a short scraggly beard and almost shoulder long unkempt brown hair.
Passing through the town he passed a street urchin a very malnourished child who asked “Are you an Angel?” He responded “Not quite” and gave the boy a piece of bread and proceeded.
He crossed the Thames and came to the castle, a 100ft tall square tower in the centre with barracks and a surrounding wall as tall as the tower itself.
The Guards watched him closely as he approached.
He came to the gatehouse and was stopped by a guard weapon drawn shouted “Halt! Who goes there!”
He retorted “I’m here to answer the king’s call!”
The guard backed down and motioned him to enter.
All the guards all watched him closely giving him a cold stare.
The man was escorted by 7 men, 3 flanking him on each side and one behind him.
He looked around, from the walls to the barracks, all eyes were on him.
Mixed emotions on their faces, wonder, joy, worry, fear and hope struck them all.

The king’s steward came ahead of them to tell the king of his arrival.
“Did you say that Beowulf is here?” He asked
“No, the man is wearing a wolf’s head.”
Hmm he mused as he slumped into his throne, deep in thought.
The man now entered the chamber.
All eyes turned onto him, even the king woke from his trance.
“So this is the wolf man.”
The king’s voice echoed throughout the chamber.
All was silent other than the crackle of the hearth.
The guards backed off and the man approached the king.
He bowed respectfully and answered “My name is Freyr.”
“Welcome Freyr!” Boomed the king and then the Guard began chanting it.
King Richard then raised his hand and the room became silent.
“Do you realize the task before you?”
“I do sir, thats why I am here.”
“I like the enthusiasm, reminds me of someone else...”

One of the guards stepped forward.
It was the guard from before!
“This lad brought this to my attention, he was even the first to volunteer. Michael, will you and Freyr take upon you this monumental task, to return the Ravens and stand against all evils that fall on England”
“I will my King! In the name of God, King and country!”
“Then in the name of God, Saint George and on the behalf of the Crown of England I make you my knight. My personal retainer, defender of my honor and that of all England!”
The Guard was chanting “Huzzar!” and “Long live the King!” as they paraded the two out of the castle through the streets of London.
Joy was all that was on Michael’s mind, although the grim reality was still...real
The look on Freyr’s face showed it. Yet he was calm and composed.
The two were given luxuries that they couldn't imagine.
A bed fit for a king, robes of the finest furs.
Men would take off their hats as they walked by.
Freyr, however refused the gifts and spent his nights in a humble tavern, sleeping on a bed made of hay with sack cloth blankets.

One day Freyr meet with Michael at the Tower of London.
“How are you holding up?” asked Freyr as they walked around the castle
“What do you mean?”
“You’re still doing this, right?”
“Yes, of course. Its just that, I never really had.... anything.”
“No possessions.”
“Yeah, not much food either.”
They continued to walk in silence, as they passed soldiers would stop talking stay all silent. Just watching them in wonder or respect.
Michael broke the silence “Don’t you think it’s odd that this all happened now.”
“Now what do you mean?”
“We have taken to calling the king the Absent King.”
“Why?”
“He spends his time in France! He had only recently came to London and its only to gather men for the Crusade.”
Freyr didn't answer, so they continued the rest of their walk in silence.

The following day a messenger approached the two.
He gave a slight bow and said “His majesty, King Richard, requests your presence.”
“And what would his majesty require?” responded Freyr
“He did not say, only that he requires your assistance.”
Freyr began to open his mouth when Michael blurted “It would be our honor.”
Freyr looked at Michael and motioned his hand for the messenger to lead the way.
When they arrived they passed two knights with red crosses on their armor, leaving the king’s court. When they entered the king was slumped in his chair with his fist pressed under his chin. They slowly bowed and waited for the king to speak.
“I’m sure you are aware of the state of my kingdom?”
“Yes, sire!” said Michael very energetically. “Damn shame.”
“Pestilence roams and unrest follows.” Each word he said almost pained him “I have been damned.”
Silence
“I need you to find the source of the plague.”
“Sire, I thought that was why we were searching for the ravens.” Said Michael “To end the curse?”
“There is no such thing as a curse!” Snapped King Richard “The serfs fill your head with pagan nonsense!”
Freyr attempting to get back on point said “Your Majesty, I'm not sure what we should believe in, but we still have the plague to deal with.”
The king laughed “Strait to the point, eh? Well then, you're dismissed. I hope to watch your progress closely.”
The two bowed and exited the room quietly. Meanwhile the king watched Freyr with a curious gaze. Who is this guy, why is he here and why help us? He walked like a king, without a worry in the world. Where other men would stride, he would glide, it was graceful and silent, yet proud.

“So, where should we start?” Said Michael
Without hesitating Freyr responded “We’ll speak with the afflicted.”
The two traveled to the lower quarter of London. It was a place of filth, people would defecate in all corners of the street, threw their food scraps into the alleyways. Many mangy stray dogs roamed the street picking for any scraps of food that the rats hadn’t taken already. The buildings were two or three stories, typically with a shop on the bottom floor, but many were boarded up as many citizens were migrating in search of greener pastures. The houses were in disrepair and the wooden structures were heavily rotted out.
“This is the kind of place where any guard hates to be assigned.” grumbled Michael “Look! Over there, even in broad daylight!” He said pointing towards an alley where a man, likely a merchant from out of town, was whisked into the shadows.

“What are you staring at you wanker!” Snapped a belligerent drunk
“Some sort of animal, I suppose.” Retorted Michael.
“Why I oughta!” The man stumbled to his feet and put his hands up for a fight looking like popeye the sailor, one of his eyes closed and the other slightly bulging from his head.
“Do you know who I am!”
“I know i’m... ’hic’... a fairy princess!”
Michael gave him an angry glare.
“Oh, i'm so sorry you royal majesty, I won’t cause no more trouble.”
“Thats much better...”
“Bloody hell can’t a bloke drink in peace.” the man said with a sigh
“Well that was quite a show.” Joked Freyr
Michael blushed, a bit embarrassed “Lets get going...”

Trudging through the slums, Freyr pointed out a crowd agglomerated around a house. “What do you think thats about?”
“Only one way to find out.”
Michael approached one of the men, he was a large man, he wore an apron covered with blood, likely a butcher just trying to scrap his way through life.
“Goodman, what is the meaning for this?”
“The priest and doctor went into that house, we’re all fighting so that he may visit our families next. Although nothing either of them has done has even helped!”
Someone from the crowd overheard the conversation and said “I hear its the Jews, they caused this!” “How might that be?” asked Michael
“They isolated themselves in their own little communities, they speak strange words in hushed tones, they write evil symbols! They are practicing magic I tell you, they all want to destroy us! I can prove it. They poisoned the wells!”
Another from the crowd “No you bloody fool, its the curse! The ravens must return to their proper place.”
A third man “Damn that heresy! God has condemned us for believing such! Lest the heavens open up and destroy us like Sodom and Gomorrah!”
The crowd erupted into a frenzy of curses and shouting.
Michael looked over to Freyr, who just stood back passive like the audience to a play.
“SILENCE! All of you! You are Englishmen, subjects of King Richard the Lionheart! Britannia is your home, England is your country! London is bleeding and you bicker and fight with each other like children! Men fight and die selflessly for your sins, they fight so that our enemies don’t pile over the walls and rape, pillage, murder and burn our towns and villages! What do you have to show for it!”
The mob was awestruck. Michael took another glance at Freyr, who gave him a nod of approval.
“You’re that new knight? The one the king is sending to retrieve the ravens?”
There was whispering in the crowd.
“What, do you think you’re some sort of hero?”
Michael didn’t respond. The idea hadn’t crossed his mind, to him he was defending his lord’s honor.
He humbly walked away followed by Freyr “Do you realize what you did?”
“That speech? Its not like I’d make an impact on them. I’m no hero, I’m nobody, just another town guard, a kid without a family, no one.”
“You are someone, you are your own man, you spoke from your heart, that was your own belief and you fought for it. You have your own identity, thats the first step to becoming wise.”
Michael looked back towards the house where the crowd was, which had now dispersed. “Maybe they just needed some real hope.” he said to himself
“Come on we still have a plague to end.” Said Freyr encouragingly
“Where should we start?”
“The jewish community is a start, then there is a chapel serving as a hospital here too.”
Walking through the slums Michael asks “How do you know where this place is, I have never even been there?”
“Well good it will be a learning experience.” He said with a grin
“What's wrong with the signs!? What are those... symbols?”
“Its hebrew, its their writing, also very ancient.”
Freyr put his arm up in front of Michael, which he bumped into. “Hey! What are you doing!”
Freyr pointed to an alley, where two men were kicking a man on the ground. Freyr waved for Michael to follow.
Freyr grabbed one of the men by the shoulders and threw him back and fell. Michael gave the other man a sucker punch to the face. The first man threw some dirt up, Freyr covered his face to find a wild swing coming for his head. He ducked and tackled the man. Meanwhile Michael was blocking some angry punches, when he spotted a wagon in the alley, he throws some jabs out to get the man to back up, then when he was close enough he gave him a strong kick sending him stumbling back and falling over into the wagon.
“Well that was fun.” Said Michael
“Sir, are you alright?” Asked Freyr
“I...arghh, I'm alright.”
“You sure, you’re all purple.”
“I’m just happy to see someone in this town thats kind to a Jew.”
“AAH, you bloody kike!” grumbled one of the men holding his bruised face.
Freyr pounded his fist on the cart. The two men backed away and vanished amidst the crowds of people.
“What was that about?”
“What wasn’t it about, they blame us for everything, you name it, a bad crop, family member died, their investments failed, really anything to hate us.”
“Can you show us to the rabbi?”
“Of course, we are close friends. Perhaps thats one good thing out of all this.”
“Wait, what do you mean?” Asked Michael
“It brings us closer together, we look out for each other, stand together against our enemies.”
“Well it didn't look like that for you.” Said Michael with a chuckle
“They snuck up on me!”
“How about we get going, alright...” Freyr interjected

The man lead them to one of the more ornate buildings in the area.
“Where are my manners. My name is David care to share yours?”
“I’m Michael, that ball of fur is Freyr.” Freyr was scowling at Michael
“Well I’d say you lost your battle against Goliath back there.” Michael joked
David completely dismissed Michael’s comment and beckoned for them to enter.
When they arrived the Rabbi was just finishing a prayer in what appeared to be an alien language.
“Shabbat Shalom.” Said the Rabbi and with that people began to leave the temple.
After he finished, he pulled a white sheet from his head and left it draping over his shoulders. David walked up to the Rabbi and the two kissed each other on both of their cheeks.
This idea was repulsive to Michael, two men should not kiss!
“Rabbi Gabriel, meet Freyr and Michael.”
“Gut Shabbes!”
Michael scowled at the sound of these words
“I see this one doesn't like me.”
“He is only wishing you a good sabbath.” said David
“Oh, well, um my bad. Please, accept my apologies.”
“Its quite alright.” Gabriel said with a chuckle “So David, who are these men you bring before me?”
“These men saved me from two street thugs, they are those holy knights sent by the King!”
“Mazel Tov!”
“B'karov etzlecha!” said Freyr
“Soooo, what exactly are you Rabbi?” Said Michael, walking around the Rabbi as if he was a thoroughbred horse he was inspecting.
“Well, I am like the priests or clergy in your churches.”
“You don’t speak latin.”
“I’m not Catholic.”
“Touché” Said Michael very sly
“Excuse me?”
“So what exactly... happens here?”
David exchanged glances with Gabriel and then looked at Freyr whom appeared entertained by Michael’s little show.
With a slight chuckle the Rabbi said “Well I was just conducting the Sabbath, the last day of God’s creation of the world.”
“Well now its starting to sound familiar!”
“Mazel Tov!”
“Whatever he said earlier.” Michael said with a chuckle
“So Michael, tell me something about yourself.”
“It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.”
“Ah, Samuel 22:33 good one, but me, I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.”
“Isaiah 42:16, befits your trade.”
“You see we are all just people of the book. The hate we see around the city is only caused by their own ignorance. We’re all branches of the same tree, descendants of Abraham, we should all stand together as one family, united in the good fight.”
“Now do you see why I brought you here Michael?” Asked Freyr
“It has been mind opening, I thank you Gabriel.”
“It is my pleasure to help those who listen. Now I believe you have a quest?”
“Oh yes, you’re right! Freyr, where to?” said Michael jokingly
“Hmph, already forgot did you.”
“Fine, geas, the Church, right?”
Walking out of the temple David announced “Good luck!”

“So... You knew that they had nothing to do with it, yet we went anyway.”
“I told you, it would be a learning experience.”
Michael gave Freyr a kind of angry glare, yet sort of knew he was right.
“YOUR ROYAL MAJESTY!” It was the drunk from before. He gave a low bow and spilt his mead all over himself doing so.
“Yes, my loyal subject.” Said Michael going along with his charade.
“What's a bloke like you doing hanging around with people like those jews?”
“I’m just doing my job. Liberating this land from the plague.”
“Oh, well I am GLAD that this city is finally giving back to its citizens. *hic* Now you see I’m hurting for some money could you. Spare some coin good sir?” He tried to give a smile showing his mangled teeth and leaving the smell of alcohol in the air.
“Depends?”
“On what? Your highness.”
“A bargain, I need information. Gen up!.”
“Oh anything lord!”
“Find the areas of the most afflicted people, then report back to me.”
The drunk snapped to attention, beat his fist on his chest and exclaimed “You can count on me m’lord”
Tossing a few coins to the man Michael retorted “Well thats good to hear.”
The drunk frantically scrambled around in the dirt for the coins, mumbling “Goodie goodie money!”

“The people here are like animals.” Michael stated
“That hardly even comes to explain it.” Freyr said with a chuckle “Do you really think that he will hold his word?”
“I have a few more coins here and I think I haves some wine back at the Tower...”
“A bit of a cloak and dagger work, you are cunning like Loki.”
“Who?”
“Forget it.”

Arriving at the church on a very broad street, dozens of people were waiting in line in hopes of being admitted.
“I didn’t think there were so many!” Michael exclaimed
“We’re not getting stage fright are we!” Said Freyr chuckleing
“What are you laughing about. Why do you jest? There’s nothing to laugh about here!”
“Whether it was ten or a hundred, why do the numbers matter? We should help them all.”
“But that was just my concern. How are we supposed to do it!”
“There is source and we’ll find it.”
“How!?”
“Michael, don’t fret over the details.”
“???”
“Lets go talk to one of the doctors.”

Inside, the building was packed from wall to wall with people. Few could even be laid on the church benches, the many others were simply lain on the floor. There was a putrid smell as the patients couldn’t prevent themselves from defecating on themselves. Trudging through the narrow spaces between the beds, out of curiosity, Michael took a peek at some of the patients. Their skin had turned pale, sweaty and wrinkled for even the youngest children. A young girl, merely a child, very weakly asked in a raspy whisper “Sir please, water...”
Michael stopped and took a look around and found next to her on the ground was a pitcher of water and a small brass cup. He grabbed the pitcher and filled the cup and handed it to the girl. She drank and drank with an unquenchable thirst. “Sir, more water, please...” She was gesturing for the pitcher. He gave her the pitcher and she continued to drink. Michael whispered “Slow down. Hey, thats enough!” He slowly took the pitcher away and set it down back under the cot. “Thank you sir, God bless your soul.”
One of the doctors came over, wearing a black robe and what appeared to be a bird’s beak strapped to his face, asking “What is going on over here? Who are you two?”
“We mean no harm, I’m Michael, thats Freyr. We were sent by the King to assist.”
“Sir John Snow. Anyway, thats very kind of him but we don’t need more bodies, we need more space. They breathe the same polluted air and we can hardly clean up after all of them.”
“You seem to have your hands full.”
“Mind if we speak outside?”
Passing through more rows of afflicted people, it was like another stab in the heart.
“Its sad, there really is nothing we can do to help them. They ask for more water, so we give them more water, yet they still need more. They feel cold to the touch, yet they say they feel they are burning and their skin turns blue and wrinkled. Any ideas?”
“So, you say they need water?” Asked Freyr
“Yes like its disappearing into an abyss.”
“Where do you get your water?”
“We get it from the closest wells so that we can get it to them as fast as we can.”
“Can you take us to the well?”
“Certainly, you can actually see it from here. Follow me.”
“You think its the water, Freyr?” asked Michael
“From that which you sow, so shall you reap.”

“Here it is. Feel free to do whatever you have to do. I have patients to attend to, good day.”
“How did the water that you gave to the girl look?”
“It seemed clean, it pretty was clear.”
“Drop a bucket down.”
Michael tied a bucket to the rope and dropped it into the dark tunnel of the well. Whoosh... plop!
“Now pull it back up.”
So he did and took a look at it and instantly noticed the stinging smell that would make your nose hairs curl.
“We’re near the waterfront, aren't we?”
“Uhh... Yep, yes we are. Now I suppose we’re headed for the river.” Said Michael looking very proud of himself.
“See you’re catching on, soon you won’t need me.”
Michael sighed “It’s the drunk again!”
“Your royal highness! Thank goodness I *Hic* found you! Now if you follow me m’lord I’ll show you to a party of dicky folk, if I say so myself.”
“Well brilliant, lead the way!”
Barely 300 feet away was the River Thames, looking down the river the Tower of London was visible with the banners of King Richard blowing gracefully in the wind.
“Aaaaaaand Bobs your Uncle!”
“This is it?” Michael said, unimpressed.
“Oh yes m’lord, can’t you smell it?”
“He’s right you know.” Said Freyr.
“Where is it then?”
“It? I thought we were talking about people?!”
“Aw pish posh, just get out of here.” Snapped Michael tossing a few more coins to the drunk
“Over here.” Said Freyr looking down towards the river’s edge. “Look, at the drain. The river water is going into it.”
On the opposite side of the river, some women were washing clothes in the river. On the other some people were bathing.
“So the wells in the area have been tainted. What do we do now? Close the wells, fix the drain?”
“All great ideas. Lets close the wells first, that should stop any other people from getting sick that haven't already. The drain will need more work than we can do right now, but in the meantime we need to close the wells.”

Arriving back at the well the doctor was refilling buckets, when Michael rushed in urging him to stop.
“Stop immediately by the order of the King!”
“What, is the meaning of this! There are people who need this water!”
“But it is the water that is making them ill. We found other wells just like this one tained all the same and around all of them, the people had similar problems that you are trying to treat.You see its the water!”
“You shut down this well and then the next, then where are we supposed to get water from!”
“We’ll dig new wells, but in the meantime the king will bring in wagons of water for you are his people.”
“Fine I will help you put the first nail in this coffin!” Said Dr. Snow as he cut the rope from the well.

“You two!” Michael barked to two sleepy guards “Help us with this.” Michael and Freyr were dismantling a cart wheel to block the opening of the well. Together they did it with ease and blocked several other polluted wells in the area and stationed several guards around the various wells.

One of the king’s messengers approached Michael as they were working “His Royal Majesty requests your presence alone.”
“Alone?”
“It is his wish to speak with you in private.”
“Lead the way.”
Arriving back at the Tower of London the expressions on the faces of the guards was doggy and a bit shocked. The messenger lead Michael back to the King’s chamber. “He awaits you inside.”
Michael hesitantly opened the door and entered.
All was quiet. Michael stood in front of the King, bowed and waited for him to speak. After a long silence broken only by the crackling of the hearth King Richard finally spoke.
“What is it that I’m hearing? That you’re closing down wells and ordering the guards around in your will? Making promises in my name? Please tell me, yourself.”
“My Lord, we found the source of the plague and the only way to stop it is by closing down the wells.”
“The only way to stop the plague is to take away their water?”
“No, not exactly like that my lord, but rather give them untainted water until they can dig new wells.”
“Untainted water? So you’re saying the devil has touched my city?!”
No, no my lord, the people are drinking their own filth, it has seeped back into the water supply and tainted it. We found a drain, its the source My Lord!”
“How can you be certain that its the water that has caused the plague and not a cruel act of God.”
“Just give us time, then you will see. Can you take a leap of faith?”
“Hmm, I will admit you have stuck my interest. Very well, I leave for Jerusalem in a fortnight, do you think our plague will end by then?”
“Yes, My Lord it will.”
“I trust you put your word on it? I can’t have my knights getting a bad name now could we?”
“If that’s all my lord, I must beg my leave.”
“That is all, you are dismissed.”
Michael bowed and exited as quietly as he had entered and left with greater anxiety as he did coming in.
© Copyright 2013 Animus Lupa (animuslupa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1948526-Absolution