*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1949973-Broadway-Melody
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Monologue · Arts · #1949973
My devotional to Broadway's bygone days. Sing it with me...
         I love Broadway. To be more precise, I love Broadway musicals from the "Golden Age" 1920-1970. My first memory of musicals of any kind was the TV version of "Cinderella" with Lesley Anne Warren and Celeste Holm which was scored by Rogers and Hammerstein. I now feel very lucky to have grown up in a time period in which this caliber of entertainment was as close as our TV, sadly, not so anymore. I have very fond memories of the songs from that show, "My Own Little Corner" and "Impossible: It's Possible", beautiful, tuneful, uplifting, songs from a uniquely American genre. If I heard them again right now I would probably just bust out crying.



         That is how music can affect people, at least me anyway. Especially anything a capella. During my graduation ceremony from business college, a local men's chorus performed "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Its an absolutely beautiful song to begin with, it hits you right in the gut, a visceral experience. But to hear it sung like that, just people singing in harmony, no instruments, its just hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a large singing group and I was in one of the front rows so you just got all that beautiful vocal energy right in your face. It took all I could not to have a complete sobbing breakdown, of joy!!, and make a complete fool of myself. Its an experience I will remember always.



         My next recollection of musical rapture, was seeing a touring company perform "Guys and Dolls" at our local theater. This time my vantage point was the upper upper balcony but that still did not diminish the experience for me in the least. When they performed the title song, just seeing all of the chorus members singing and dancing in unison, with energy, with passion, was just fantastic.



         To me what made this genre special is just the simplicity of it, the intimacy of it, seeing performers live, being there with the entertainer to experience it. Beautiful. And now its gone. I've never seen a show on Broadway. The Golden Age was over by the time I was 6. My only knowledge comes from watching any documentary I might catch on PBS or obtain on my own. But there are many cast albums out there and many of the movie versions are quite good. If you are a passionate fan of the musical like I am, check out the on demand section of your local cable provider for a movie based on a Broadway musical. See if they have "Annie Get Your Gun", "My Fair Lady", or "South Pacific". Checkout the "Musicals" section of your favorite online radio stations. These treasures are still out there waiting for us all to enjoy!
© Copyright 2013 MidwestWritr (ladywritr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1949973-Broadway-Melody