*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1950580-Dead-Warrior-of-Wrath
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1950580
Story about a Viking warrior.
With the shroud of darkness concealing their movements, the Rathnian clan inches ever closer to the small village of Heath. Unbeknownst to their leader Vartoth, the clans movements have not gone unnoticed. Thinking this to be just an ordinary village, Vartoth and his clan have unwittingly stumbled upon the home of a legendary warrior that was thought to be dead. The warrior, using his keen sense of hearing has already taken notice of their large force moving through the woods that surrounds the village he now calls home. The slight rattle of shields and the shuffling of leather clad feet were instantly picked up by his battle trained ears. The hardened warrior quickly begins to move through the village, quietly alerting the men of the village to the appending danger.

With danger quickly approaching, the warrior knows that there is no battle that ever turns out to the advantage of humanity. He has learned through countless battles that there is only one right and only one wrong and no matter who you are and no matter who you want to become, the answer is always the same. He digs deep in his heart and knows that he needs to protect the village he know calls home. Although many consider battle the only option, the warrior now knows that this is only a scab to what really affects the hearts of men. He alone understands that all men want the same; all men desire to be who they are. He knows that as one, men cannot be deterred from the pure and selfless desires of their hearts. The pure heart of the warrior knows that he alone can save the village and keep death from those that have never tasted it's bitterness.

The warrior though, has realized through indescribable pain that no matter how hard you fight, no matter how much you believe, men's hearts are stronger than anything humanly possible. He has seen men weaker than himself stand up to the tortures of those that were pure evil; and he understood. A man's heart is stronger than even he can explain but he knows it is right. He knows this is beyond the understanding of man. He understands that only he can keep death at bay; that only he can qualm the sea that humans call battle.

He steps forth into the light of the villages torches, the outline of his strong and honest physique is revealed to all. Nothing protects him from the dangers that many would fear. He knows that death is not the end. Death is only an escape for men's worldly desires. Both the Rathnian army and the villagers are stunned by this strange and incomprehensible behavior.

Vartoth, leader of the Rathnian army does not understand what his eyes behold. While his mind knows, his being cannot comprehend. He believes this to be some type of trick, some type of foreign distraction; but knows it's not possible. He calls out to the strange man that puts himself in harm's way. While Vartoth feels this man must not be in full control of his faculties, it becomes clear that this strange man surpasses his understanding. The man answers and says one simple sentence that stuns Vartoth; he says in one fluid thought " what do you want? we will give whatever is possible". A stunned Vartoth thinks this man has no power but it is clear that the villagers are as stunned as he. This man clearly knows more, clearly feels more than anyone one can understand and yet seems to desire nothing. He now calls out and says "men want the same, desire the same and we are men. Speak to us as such".

Vartoth, being disturbed by such bold and forthright conversation steps forward, knowing that he cannot compare to the strength that is before him. He asks the warrior what he wants and to his surprise the warrior answers: "This village is simple and we desire to live as people should, this village wants the best for all and we want to help you achieve the goals your heart desires". The warrior speaks his heart and tells Vartoth of the battles, the death and sorrow that he has witnessed over and over again. He explained to Vartoth in detail of how he believed that through battle you could force others to want what he wanted, others to desire the same. But in the end all died with their beliefs and died feeling as if they had betrayed any humanity that was ever in their heart. He told Vartoth that no matter how hopeless humanity may seem, now matter how weak a person was, everyone wanted the same in the end.

Unfortunately, as the warrior had seen time and time again; people were not easily swayed to the truth that he had learned. Vartoth, as any normal individual would, began his attack. The problem was that this was no normal response. The warrior alone stood strong and fought at the front lines. He did not desire death, he did not strive for glory but he strove to prove the love of man. He fought with everything he had for the villagers but at the same time with the same intent he strove with his every fiber to preserve the life of those that attacked. In this Vartoth understood this was no mere trick, this was honor and bravery that he could not comprehend.
© Copyright 2013 dnixmustanggt (dnixmustanggt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1950580-Dead-Warrior-of-Wrath