*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1951213-Loves-Legacy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1951213
Day 5 Entry (Family) - "The Baker's Dozen"
Love’s Legacy

William glanced at his watch: 6:05. “Come on, Bekkah, we’re late.” His younger sister was struggling to get several packages from out of the back seat of the car.

“Well, if you’d help a lady,” her muffled voice responded.

“You’re no lady, you’re my sister,” he said with a laugh in his voice but hurried over, taking two of several gifts from her overloaded arms. He began walking toward the house.

“It looks like Grandma is going to make out this year.”

“At seventy-nine, I think that’s the only making out she’ll be doing,” he laughed.

“Ewwww. Now I’m going to have that image of Grandma in my mind all during her party,” she squealed. “Still, I’ll bet she was something when she was younger.”

“Grandma? Be serious!”

William knocked on the door and then entered without waiting.

Marie Jeanette Holcomb – MarJe to her friends – was sitting at the end of the dining room table. She was still a handsome woman, softened by age. Her striking white hair was topped by a cardboard tiara that said ‘Birthday Girl’.

“Billy, Bekkah. You’re here! Now we can get this party started,” she laughed.

The family proceeded to sing an off-key rendition of Happy Birthday. Their Dad, William Senior, brought in a big cake with seventy-nine candles blazing away. “Happy Birthday, Mom,” he said, setting it down. “Make a wish.”

Several seconds passed as MarJe stared at the flames. “Grandma, make a wish and blow them out,” Billy urged. After several more seconds, he warned, “Someone’s going to call the fired department if you don’t!”

MarJe looked at Billy with a twinkle in her eye. “Don’t rush me. I’m trying to think of a wish better than having you all here with me.” This brought several “ahh’s” from the family. Finally, she took a deep breath and, with Billy and Bekkah’s noticeable help, extinguished the flames.

After cake and presents, the family broke into conversation groups. MarJe motioned for Billy and Bekkah to follow her. She led them back into her bedroom and sat on the bed.

“Those old folks will be gabbing until it’s time to go,” she chuckled. “I just want some time with you two. Time is one of those things that we never seem to have enough of,” she said wistfully.

“Old folks?” Billy said, laughing. “Is that – what was the expression – the pot calling the kettle black?”

Bekkah gave him a warning look and punched him in the arm.

“I know you kids think of me as old but it wasn’t always this way. In my youth – and that wasn’t that long ago in my mind,” she informed them, “I was just like you.”

Billy felt warmth in his cheeks. “I was just kidding about you being old, Grandma.”

“I know it’s true. My bones tell me every morning,” she laughed.

“Grandma, do you have pictures of you back then? We’ve never seen any.”

MarJe got a big grin on her face. “Funny you should ask! Billy, in the closet on the shelf to the right there’s an album. Would you bring it over?”

As Billy went to the closet, MarJe looked at Bekkah. “You look a lot like I did back then – much prettier, of course – but you can see the family resemblance.”

“Grandma, there’s a stack of magazines here,” Billy informed her. He looked at one. "Oh my gosh! It's a girlie magazine! Nineteen-forty,” he read aloud.

He pulled another one down. "So's this one. Did Grandpa have a secret life we didn’t know about?”

MarJe burst out laughing. “Those aren’t the pictures I wanted you to see,” she finally was able to get out.

Both Billy and Bekkah stared at her, confused looks on their faces.

“No, Grandpa didn’t have a secret … those belong to me. Well, now that I think about it, I guess he did. You probably don’t know it but I met him when I was nineteen. I was a model and he was the photographer’s assistant.”

Billy opened the magazine. The centerfold was a photograph of a young woman posing in a field of flowers. In spite of the well placed shrubbery, it was apparent she was nude. The beatific smile couldn't hide the identity. “Grandma?”

Now it was Billy’s turn to laugh. “Oh Grandma, what big ...”

“Don’t you finish that if you know what’s good for you,” she warned but there was a lightness in her voice.

"There's a lot of magazines there."

"It was a long courtship," she grinned.

Bekkah went over and took the magazine. “Grandma. You’re beautiful!”

“I tried to tell you,” MarJe chuckled.

“Well,” Billy teased, “I guess we have a surprise for the family, don’t we.”

“Just a moment, young man.” She picked up the album and took several pictures from the back. Holding them up, there were Billy and Bekkah in the all together as small children. “I have one more surprise for you. I have more than one-hundred friends on Facebook and since you’re both linked to me, I have access to all your friends as well.”

“Grandma! You wouldn’t …”

“You keep my secrets and I’ll keep yours,” she laughed.

Billy looked at Bekkah and nodded. Her grin was all the answer he needed. “Deal?” he said offering his hand.

She opened her arms and they both closed in for a hug.

“I love you so much,” Bekkah whispered.

“in spite of your sordid past,” Billy finished, giggling. “But, one more condition,” he said pulling back to look at her face.

“And what could you possibly want?”

“Tomorrow, after school, Bekkah and I come back to visit.” He indicated the album. “I have a feeling there’s a lot to learn about our wonderful, crazy,” he paused, “beautiful Grandmother.”

She pulled them both close in a love filled hug, hiding the tears that sprang to her eyes. “Deal,” she whispered. And thank you for granting me my birthday wish.



Day 5 Entry for "The Writer's Baker's Dozen Contest
Word Limit: 1,000 Word Count: 987
Prompt: Family - The Family Secret: During a birthday party, you discover a hidden truth about a family member. It may involve a family pet, if you wish.
© Copyright 2013 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1951213-Loves-Legacy