*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952293-The-Caring-Bridge-Journals---Journal-1
by Dsigns
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1952293
In October 2012 I went for my first total hip replacement. Right hip. Anterior procedure.
The Caring Bridge Journals

JOURNAL 1

___________________

Preface by Laura Pizzo

Surgery Tomorrow

Written October 17, 2012 7:24pm by Laura Pizzo

Tomorrow, October 18th, Diane will have a long awaited and much needed hip replacement. She has been dealing with hip and leg pain for quite some time and it was never really clear exactly what the problem was. Well, she now knows that she has always had a hip dislocation and that it is now time for a new and improved one!

Diane is lucky to have found a surgeon, Dr. Theodore P. Firestone, who is skilled in recent advances that have been made in the surgical procedures used in hip replacement.

Although it is a major surgical procedure, it is less invasive and has a faster recuperation process.

The hospital information:
Scottsdale Healthcare Shea
9003 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480-323-3000

She has some very supportive and caring friends from work that will be going with her to the hospital on the day of her surgery and bringing her home again. At that point our angel of mercy, Annette, will be staying with Diane for her first week at home. Diane hopes to be home by the 21st.

You can sign up on this sight for notifications that will let you know when a new post has been entered.

Please send Diane all your love, prayers, and positive thoughts to see her through this challenge.


Surgery Went Well

Written October 18, 2012 2:50pm by Laura Pizzo

Wonderful news!
Diane just came out of surgery and the doctor said that things could not have gone better! She will be in recovery for two hours or so and then they will move her to a room. Her friend Deb has been with her the whole time and will wait until Diane is settled in her room, will see her, and then give us an update. Deb we can't thank you enough for taking such good care of Diane.


She's walking and talking!

Written October 18, 2012 6:43pm by Laura Pizzo

Diane is out of recovery and settled in her room. She has already been up and walking with her Physical Therapist and was having so much fun doing so she hated to get back in the bed! While we were talking the doctor came in to see her so she had to go.

Again, Debbie has been with her through all of this. If I have any clout she has earned her seat in heaven!! Diane is lucky to have such supportive friends and her family is very, very grateful for all of you.

Big Sister Laura


Dinner with Diane

Written October 18, 2012 8:53pm by Laura Pizzo

I just got off the phone with Diane. She called me while she was eating her dinner- a four course liquid feast.

She is upbeat and very excited to be feeling and doing so well. Lots of talk about Deb, doctors, and the delights of walking. She has a great view of the mountains from her window and she is hoping to take a picture of an Arizona sunrise tomorrow morning. That's our Diane!

This will be the last post for tonight. Thank you so much for all of your messages. Diane is very touched by your kindness and attention.


Morning Has Broken

Written October 19, 2012 9:51am by Laura Pizzo

When I checked in on Diane this morning our conversation was focused on two oxymorons: hospital rest, hospital food.

She was not thrilled to still be on a mostly liquid diet with the exception of Cream of Wheat. However, she promised me she would eat it all the same. She needs to move onto more solid foods before they can increase her pain medication. However, she is sore but not in pain so that is a good thing. Hospital machines that bleep and monitors that send out messages do not set the stage for a quiet restful night, but she managed.

She had to take her Arizona sunrise photo from the bed, it is posted in the photo section, but she plans to improve on the photo when she has the opportunity.

She surprised her Dad last night with a phone call, which made him very happy. 

Today's agenda will be Physical Therapy, getting rest, moving on to solid foods, and staying on the very positive path she has been traveling on thus far.

Laura


Doctor's Star Patient

Written October 20, 2012 11:07am by Laura Pizzo

Yes, when her doctor came to see her this morning he smiled and called her his star patient. He told her she was doing very well and hi-ho-hi-ho it's off to home she'll go!

Diane has nothing but positive things to say about her care and the hospital staff. Sleeping went much better and her pain is well managed.

She still has two PT sessions today and discharge instructions to go over. Then her supervisor at work and very caring friend, Amanda, is picking her up and taking her home. Dennis will be at the house when she gets there, and then tonight Annette takes over and she will be there all week.

Every indication is that things could not be going any better than they are and we all want more and more of that!!

Diane sends her love to you all.

Laura


Home!

Written October 21, 2012 12:07pm by Laura Pizzo

Amanda safely delivered her precious cargo. Annette, our Angel of Mercy, had a strong tail wind and arrived in AZ an hour early, and Diane was able to meet her at the door. Just amazing...

All is well and at this point I think Diane is going to take over the care and feeding of her Caring Bridge site.

My love and best wishes to each and every one of you.

Laura


______________________________

Journal by Diane (Fontana) Boreland

There's no place like home

Written October 21, 2012 1:06pm by Diane Boreland

It's me and my new hip. Saying hello and thanking you for all your well wishes.

Got home safe and sound. Thank you Amanda. Brought my flowers home. Thank you Deb.

Annette (my Angel of Mercy) arrived last night. Plane got in an hour early! That's a good sign. She made me breakfast and tried to make friends with my coffee pot. She's taking great care of me, but my kitchen may not survive.

Will try to go for a walk to the mailbox today. Baby steps.

Love to all,

Diane


ps

Written October 21, 2012 1:43pm by Diane Boreland

ps

Thank you Laura for all your support and posting my progress on Caring Bridge.

pss

Andrea are you out there?


Slow & Steady Wins The Race

Written October 23, 2012 12:12pm by Diane Boreland

Went for a walk for mail yesterday and will go further today. Got discharge instructions that say I should be icing and massaging thigh and elevating leg when sitting. I DID NOT KNOW THAT.

I've been doing just the horizontal PT, I will review the standing PT today and see about doing a different set of exercises in the afternoon.

All is well in sunny Phoenix. Thanks for all your kind words.

Love to all,

Diane


Day 5

Written October 24, 2012 8:54pm by Diane Boreland

Five is my lucky number. I'm settling into a routine. Managing pain better. Went twice the distance on my walk today. Will always try to beat my personal best. Hoping to go for a ride on Friday.

Thanks for checking in on me. Have a nice evening. "Talk" again tomorrow.

Love,

Di


DAY 8

Written October 27, 2012 7:52pm by Diane Boreland

Well, the new hip is over a week old already. Today was a great day. I graduated from sponge bath to the real deal ... shower and shampoo, woo-hoo! I feel human again. Dennis came over and cooked a wonderful dinner for us. My angel of mercy is really earning her keep. What will I do without her? She leaves tomorrow night and is heading into a perfect storm ... Sandy. I hope she has smooth flying with her change in Atlanta and makes it to NYC on schedule.

Going to the doctor on Tuesday. Will let you know my report card Tuesday night.

I miss everyone!

With love from Diane


Day 9

Written October 28, 2012 4:49pm by Diane Boreland


The Angel of Mercy has landed. Cousin Annette was able to switch to a direct flight this morning from Phx to JFK. She arrived safely at noon, 3pm EST. So glad she will be able to get home and prepared before the storm hits NY.

I hope all my friends and family along the east coast are ready for hurricane Sandy and are able to ride out the storm with a minimum of danger and hardship.

I am alone for the first time since Deb picked me up to take me to the hospital ten days ago. Now I have to get used to living alone all over again. After two days of solitude, I'll be thrilled to go see Dr. Firestone on Tuesday. Can't wait to see you Amanda!

Love to all,

Diane


Follow Up

Written October 31, 2012 11:38am by Diane Boreland

On Monday I had a visit from Deb ... When I talked to my friend Karyn in the HR Dept. at work on Monday, I told her the only thing I needed was a bath brush to help me reach my feet ... well my right foot to be exact. A little while later I got a call from Deb. I'm at Target getting you a bath brush with a long handle, do you want green or blue? OMG, news travels fast at Alliance Beverage. Within a half hour she was at my door bearing gifts, again. Always a bright spot in the day to see Deb's smile, and I welcomed the visit after Annette left at 5am Sunday.

I was out all day yesterday and sore from sitting so I wasn't able to update journal last night. I had my follow up appointment with surgeon yesterday. X-rays and then office visit. It went very well.

Amanda picked me up and drove me the 30 mile trek. The long ride doesn't seem long at all when you have a great friend to talk with.

X-rays were taken according to Dr.'s specifications. Front and side views (I thought my hip looked like a microphone in the side view.) I was able to walk across the street to the second medical building. (Before surgery, I was in so much pain I had to drive the short distance.)

Bandage was removed and I saw incision for the first time. Clean cut and not too much bruising. Nurse put some strips along the top to secure. Dr. had me walk back and forth with no assistance, sit down and touch my toes, cross my legs (in a 4 pattern) and stretch. Ouch! This was the first time trying any of these moves. I'm sure they'll get easier, but it was a preview of the therapy to come. I haven't called rehab yet, but Dr. said I should begin outpatient PT on Monday. Next appointment is in one month.

So the mantra is RECOVERY. I share the same mantra as one third of this country. I was glued to weather channel throughout Sandy and admit I have been unable to rest as I had been. I spent the hours leading into the storm touching base with relatives and friends in Maryland, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and various sections of New York ... Manhattan, Queens, Long Island.

After the storm I sent a text out. Power? Y or N and waited for responses ... a single letter to tell me how much I should worry. I received reports that went both ways, and from some there was no answer.

Some had power and were staying put. Others no power with trees and wires down everywhere around them. Reports that some cousins that were flooded went to relatives further inland on Long Island. In-laws in the Rockaways were told to evacuate and stayed. Still need to find out about friend in Belle Harbor. No Facebook entry from friend in lower Manhattan since 5:30pm Monday.

Prayers go out to everyone affected. I will reflect all the healing thoughts that are coming my way back to you. RECOVERY.

Love to all,

Diane


The day is done

Written November 2, 2012 1:52am by Diane Boreland

Another birthday come and gone. Spent alone but in constant contact with many friends and family members. Thank you all for your good wishes. Busy day of calls, emails, texts, social media posts and a delivery from the florist.

Managed to work  in my PT and a walk to the mailbox. Outpatient PT at rehabilitation center was pretty booked up. My evaluation is scheduled for 11/8 at 8am. Will know scheduling after that and be able to call and make other needed appointments I need to complete this month: primary physician 2-part annual physical, bone density test and next thyroid ultrasound. Back to the business of maintenance.

Love to all,

Diane


Progress Report

Written November 5, 2012 8:34pm by Diane Boreland

Friday: I made the transition from walker to cane. A little slow going at first. Didn't want to fall back into the limp habit. A totally new experience to be using the cane and being able to work normally.

Saturday: Went to the supermarket with Dennis to pick up produce. Had to toss everything left from shopping day before surgery. Stocked up on fruits and veggies. Oh, and the ice cream just happened to be on sale. Even remembered the bags of salt for water system. So I got in my walking for the day while I was at Fry's. Nice change of scenery. Tired of walking around the same corner on my block.

Sunday: Major breakthrough. I was able to do the hardest of all my physical therapy exercises without moaning in pain ten times in a row.

Monday: Missed taking one of my rounds of Tylenol. I guess it gives you a false sense of security. Pain relievers were four hours past due. Woke up feeling ache instead of refreshed. I had been automatically waking up just before pill time. Last night I slept through pill time. Maybe tonight I'll set the alarm.


God is Good

Written November 6, 2012 2:02pm by Diane Boreland

Another major occurrence. I can lay on my left side without pillows between my legs and I DO NOT FEEL PAIN. I am euphoric. All day long I am amazed by the absence of pain. I had been living with ever increasing pain for 14 years. My constant companion has vanished.

I have such cabin fever that I answered the door when two Jehovah's Witnesses came to call. We had a brief but pleasant conversation in the doorway about what a complex divine creation the human body is, and how advances in medical technology are able to improve the quality of life. Go figure. Today is a day for coming across open minds. Just in time for election day!

And being the lover of old movies that I am ... I cannot thank DirecTV enough for coming up with a new channel (259) to save me from going insane here at home. Cinemoi I love you for bringing me a whole new gene pool of films and an hour long program called Stars of the Silver Screen. I am currently watching the episode featuring Frank Sinatra. I am in heaven. God is good. As of late, and in oh so many ways, he has been really good to me!


PT Evaluation

Written November 8, 2012 3:37pm by Diane Boreland

I had my Physical Therapy evaluation this morning. Met my new therapist, Clayton Hunter. Gave him Dr.'s protocol sheets. He had me walk with the cane, and then between balance bars without the cane. Said I'm doing great, just a little limp without the cane.

We scheduled two appointments a week for the next four weeks, and he gave me three new exercises to add into those I am already doing. He expects to continue therapy through all of December.

I have the first part of my annual physical with my primary physician this afternoon, and labs.

First foot forward on the road to recovery.

D.


Nov 8 Part Deux (2)

Written November 11, 2012 9:39am by Diane Boreland

I typed this out once and lost it somehow. Here we go again...

This is a PS to my Nov 8 entry. I forgot that I came home between my PT Evaluation and my annual physical (part 1). So I only filled you in on half of my day.

The nurse at primary doctor's office thought I was crazy for fasting for an afternoon appointment. Yes I am, but it is such a pleasure to just walk across the hall afterward and do the labs at the same time. They don't even have to give you a piece of paper, it's all in the computer.

Dr. couldn't believe she hadn't seen me in year, and told me I had lost 11 lbs. since my last visit. Well, it's been a hell of a year. I told her that since she gave me referrals for gastrologist and endocrinologist, I only need her for my woman's exam, full labs and order for bone density test. I filled her in on all the problems the other two doctors came up with and that the endo Dr. referred me to an ENT surgeon. Speaking of surgeons, I just had a hip replacement; and BTW, the pre-op doctor told me I should take you up on your suggestion of doing the Boniva injections. Then she told me that they don't do them in the office and would give me ... wait for it ... another referral. This one for a Rheumatologist, she said some of them can do bone density test in the office. This will be doctor number nine for me! Fifty-four and nine doctors. Once a 4F, always a 4F.

So we run through the annual drill. Have you had your mammogram, check; eye exam, check (next one due at end of December); dental checkup, super check on that one, 3-month checkups for me, plus a quick crown just weeks prior to surgery. Not due to go back until February and now I'll need antibiotics prior to visits for two years.

Oh, I missed the annual flu shot at work this year because they were giving them out two days before my surgery. That's it then. As she walks out the door ... great seeing you, I'll get you that referral and order your flu shot. Nurse comes in a few minutes later with my vaccine and referral. Ha, I look at the referral and it is for Dr. Bhalla. That's my Dad's rheumatologist, and I didn't really like him when I accompanied Dad to one of his appointments, and he's in Peoria, but near Sun City. Scratch that. I'll have go to my insurance provider website to search out an alternative. Maybe I'll ask Amanda to look up that specialty in her 500 Top Doctors issue of Phoenix Magazine. I guess I returned it a little too soon. I thought I was done searching for new doctors. Who knew. Well it's me, Diane the 4F, so no big surprise. Should have known.

Song for the day is "Revolution 9" by The Beatles. Number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine ...

D.


Rehab PT Session 1 + PBS@8pm tonight!

Written November 13, 2012 4:22pm by Diane Boreland

Had my first full PT session at Rehab yesterday. They put me on a stationary bike for the first 10 minutes, then some stretching exercises. Then they had me do a lot of the same exercises I had been doing at home, but with a twist ... I had been standing on the "good leg", now they wanted me to stand on the leg with new hip and do the same exercises. So this was like starting over again on the other side. I was nervous at first, but it went well. The good leg was really feeling the burn when I had to support myself for a long time. At the end of the session, the therapist asked where my incision was and started to massage along the cut line. Oh, at first I really wasn't liking this part; but he explained that it will help to smooth out the scar tissue and start to stimulate nerve endings. It certainly was doing that!

After PT, I went to the supermarket. I find that I can get in much more walking if I multi task and shop at the same time. Otherwise, I get bored and don't walk for as long. As usual, I must have overdone it. I came home and ate something and then napped all afternoon.

Tonight our local AZ PBS station (Channel 8, or 8HD) is airing a one-hour program called The Latest Procedure. It is about anterior hip replacement surgery. This is the procedure I had done; and the doctor featured in the program is my surgeon, Dr. Ted Firestone. I will be watching! It is on at 8pm, but check your local TV listing.


The Latest Procedure

Written November 14, 2012 1:22pm by Diane Boreland

I watched the PBS program last night. I was amazed that they did show every stage of the operation. I have even more respect for my surgeon now than before. Not only is the surgery hard work, but his confidence and attention to detail just confirms that he was the only choice for the task.

BTW, I received the itemized bill for my two days in the hospital. The grand total for my new hip: $57,667.92 ... worth every penny!!!!!


Defying Gravity

Written November 15, 2012 10:13pm by Diane Boreland

Today at physical therapy the therapist put me on the Anti Gravity Treadmill. It's like walking on air, or actually in air. Walking stress free, pain free ... it doesn't burn as many calories, but it feels so good!


PT week two ...

Written November 19, 2012 6:40pm by Diane Boreland


We started second week of Rehab PT today. This is the first time they are seeing me come in without the cane. Appointment was earlier and I was stiffer. So they noticed a limp.

We did some of the same exercises. More of the same exercises. Swapped some old ones for new.

They stepped up the balancing act. Extended balancing exercises on both legs.

We replaced squatting exercises with standing. Stand up from sitting position ... repeat two sets of ten.

Started new walking exercises to help lose the limp. Go forward the length of room one foot in front of  the other. Then walk the length of the room backward one foot behind the other. Don't look down, can look in floor to ceiling mirror ahead. Do this twice. Then we walked sideways crossing one foot in front and then behind until we reach the other side of the room. Then backward. Then repeat.

Will be going again Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday this week because of Thanksgiving holiday. Probably won't be writing entry afterward because I have two more appointments that day: thyroid ultrasound and part two of my annual physical. So have a very Happy Thanksgiving everyone ...


PT Week 3

Written November 28, 2012 6:27am by Diane Boreland

Monday: Back on the leg press for the first time in over a year. Mixing in higher hurdles. Did both the bike and anti-gravity treadmill, usually it's one or the other.

Tuesday: 1 month follow up w surgeon since post-op appt. X-rays first. He had me get up and down to floor with help of table. Was hoping for a way to do it without clutching furniture for dear life. X-rays showed I am healed. No arthritis. I asked him for a referral for a rheumatologist for Boniva injections. He said to take calcium and Vit D and walk and go for bone density test in 6 mos. So I don't have to find doctor number 9! He gave me a script for antibiotic to take prior to DDS visit in February, and released me to go back to work tomorrow.

So, Wednesday ... back to work and Thursday back to PT in the am.

PT will continue for three more weeks after this, on Monday and Thursday mornings for 1-1/2 hrs. each visit. After the full six weeks, they re-evaluate to see if you need additional PT sessions. I hope to then start the new year right by joining the wellness program.

Thank you  all for following my progress, cheering me on, and for all your prayers and get well wishes. Keep those prayers coming ... I get the results of my last thyroid ultrasound at my next endocrinologist appointment on Dec 10. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Signing off.
© Copyright 2013 Dsigns (dsigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952293-The-Caring-Bridge-Journals---Journal-1