*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952625-That-Kiss
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Contest Entry · #1952625
Day 12 entry for the Baker's Dozen contest.
         Cara was going home.  She'd spent enough time running after stories and capturing the allure of the glossy magazine lifestyle.  Yeah, right.  Keep telling yourself that, she told herself as she dragged her sorry ass home.  The truth was she had been fired; something about needing to stick to the facts or not stretch the truths.  Fine.

         Maybe fiction was more her realm anyway.  Something she had always wanted to do, but hid behind the need for a paycheck.  She had her savings built up so she could take some time to try and maybe heading home wouldn't be so bad.

         She hadn't told her family she was coming home.  She felt a little surprise would be healthy for all of them. 

         When she arrived at the airport and picked up her bag, she almost tripped over herself when she noticed Dawson Leary heading towards her.  Her heart nearly stopped, then skittered in a race for cover.  She could feel her face heating from the neck up and prayed her nerves would settle before he reached her.

         "Cara Connor?  Is that really you?"  His southern drawl slide over her like honey.

         She bobbed her head, placing a smile across her face.

         He grabbed her and pulled her into a hug that lifted her a good four inches off the floor.

         "You're lookin' good, sweetheart."  He told her dropping her down.

         She staggered back, looking up at him towering over her.  His broad build nearly blocking out the sun. 

         "Hey, Dawson."  She managed. 

         "Lookin' real good."  His smile widened and his dimple flashed at her.  "It's been awhile."

         Not trusting her voice, she nodded. 

         "Last time was..."  He looked down into her eyes and she could see his warm at the memory.  "Last time we kissed..."

         She dipped her head.  She thought for sure she was going to go up in flames right there. 





         She remembered that kiss.  She had been watching her brother and his gang of buddies play football.  She liked to be anywhere Dawson was and watching him play sports was definitely something to see, particularly when he took off his shirt.  She had thought the guys had not even noticed her, but at the end of the game when they were packing up, he had turned and waved at her.  She had been embarrassed and rushed off.

         Later, at the summer’s end dance he had asked her to dance.  He was older; leaving for college in a few days. He was the guy every girl dreamed of and he had asked her to dance.  She was floating on a sea of foam.  She had it bad.

         With the hall dark and filled with dance ball glitter, she had taken her chance, leaned her face up to his and kissed him.  It had been wonderful, everything she had hoped it would be. But then he pulled back and stared down at her like he was in shock.

         Humiliation had filled her and she had run, leaving him on the dance floor. 

         She hadn’t seen him since.  He had left for college a few days later and when he had come to say good – bye to her brother, she had hidden in her room.  She couldn’t face him.  The shock on his face had demoralized her.





         He dipped his head under her chin tipping her up to meet his gaze.  He smiled tenderly. “I happened to like that kiss.”

         Her mouth dropped open.

         â€śShocked me for sure, but man....”  He shook his head at the memory.  His eyes found hers again.  “I’d be open for another...maybe a little more than one.”

         She looked into his clear blue gaze and felt herself relax.  He was not teasing her, he was serious.  She let her lips curve up into a genuine smile.  Then he lowered his lips to hers.

         â€śWelcome home, Cara.”  He murmured against her lips then kissed her like she’d never been kissed before.

         And yes, it did feel like a wonderful welcome home. 







Word Count = 665



© Copyright 2013 đź’™ Carly (carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952625-That-Kiss