*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954262-The-UnderNeath-work-in-process
by LOT
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1954262
A creature, seeking to restore magic in his land, finds the answer may lie with a child.

The stalk emerged from the side of the cliff, and shuddered with the morning sun's touch.  Warmth not familiar from its long journey, a trip started as a seed and a spell cast by a Groppler, Timpor, by name.  The creature loved to cultivate plants, but the dark surroundings of his home did not bode well for healthy foliage. Timpor discovered his spell accidently and enabled certain seeds to thrive in the shadows of the UnderNeath.

Timpor shuffled through the deep low tunnels carrying his bag and a torch, and pondered the whispers in the UnderNeath of subsiding magic.  Rumors spread of a power that could rekindle their dwindling magic.  A legend of a female youngling from the OverNeath, stumbling into their realm and Dank, a great enchanter revered as the wisest Groppler, taking her in.  During her convalescence, a fondness developed when the human displayed magical tendencies.  Training her to control the ability proved to be an easy task, the student surpassed the teacher in a rapid passage of time.  Dank sent the youngling back above ground to protect her from evil rumblings threatening to destroy her.

Dank, who had in his possession a talisman that held the heart and soul of Groppler magic, knew that his evil brother plotted to steal the jeweled, apple shaped holder of power.  If he were to control the magic, chaos would reign.  Legend stated the talisman disappeared with the human youngling to the OverNeath, where no Groppler would follow.

Timpor focused on the thick trunk spiraling upward, covered in vines as sturdy as ropes, and contemplated a journey of his own. What was above?  Could the legend be true?  He longed to know the answer.

Timpor opened his bag and pulled out a chippler to break off rock from around the plants.  A faint voice floated down from above with a lilting melody that captivated him. 

At the stalk's escape into the sun, walking along the cliff's narrow trails, a female child stopped and touched the strange gnarled plant.  Aunt Mara will want to see this, she thought.  Uncle Kallie said Aunt Mara had a green thumb.  Laughter spilled from her mouth...Green Thumb...  Uncle Kallie was so silly.

Sarah removed her fingers from the bumpy surface.  The spot she had touched on the plant, sprouted a bright yellow bud yearning to embrace the sunlight.  Giggling again, Sarah ran home.  Small children don't question miracles, they accept them and run to tell grown-ups who seldom believe their tales.

The melodious sound stopped.  Timpor began climbing the stalk.

Sarah ran into the kitchen.

"Where have you been, child?"

"Aunt Mara, I found a plant and when I touched it, a little flower came out."

"That's nice, sit down, and eat your breakfast."

"But I really saw..."

"Hush now.  I don't have time for make-believe today."

The dispirited child spotted her color sticks and canvas on the floor.  Everyone marveled at Sarah's drawing abilities.  She would go back and draw a picture of the odd plant, perhaps they would believe her then.  She just couldn't bring herself to pick the beautiful blossom and watch it wither and die.  She snatched up the sticks and canvas, and hurried back to the spot where the tiny yellow miracle awaited her.

************************************************************************************

Climbing up the stalk, Timpor knew the moment of truth had arrived.  His huge head popped out of the hole.

"Oh my!  Where did you come from?"

Timpor stared at the creature sitting on a rock.  Could she be a human?

Ecstatic over her discovery, Sarah's little form jittered and she leapt off her perch with glee.  Aunt Mara would not believe this either.  She'd have to take him home with her.  It was the only way.

"Can you talk?  You are the biggest giant, I've ever seen. Well, I guess the only one, really.  So can you talk or not?"

Timpor realized the human was speaking to him.  Stepping into this strange OverNeath land, that until moments ago, he really did not believe existed, Timpor spoke his first words to a different species.

"Are you a youngling?"

"What's a youngling?"  She smiled as if it was a humorous question.

"Human, are you human?"

"Of course, silly giant.  What else would I be?  And you are a giant.  My Uncle Kallie tells me stories about giants.  I always thought they were make-believe but I guess he was telling the truth. Do you live underground where the plant comes from?"

"You speak too rapidly.  I can't understand what you speak."

"What's your name?"

"Timpor."

"I'm Sarah."

Timpor found this odd little being intriguing.

"What's down in that hole?"

"The UnderNeath.  Where I live."

"Why did you come up here?"

"I thought if humans exist then perhaps the talisman is real. Do you know of the talisman?"

"Talis...man?  What kind of man is that?  Another giant from under the ground?"

"UnderNeath and no, it is a charm.  Magic.  You do know magic?"

"No magic here.  Please come with me to see my aunt and uncle. Maybe they know this Talis Man.  They know everybody around here."

Timpor followed Sarah down the narrow path.  She skipped and made happy noises, singing she called it.  The giant took one stride to the child's five, squinted from the brightness, and tried not to step on the tiny one as they made their way to see aunt and uncle. More creatures of her kind, he presumed.

************************************************************************************

"Aunt Mara!  Uncle Kallie!  Come outside and see the giant!"

Two larger humans hurried out the door, of the dwelling, to see what all the shouting was about.

"What are you shouting..."

Both stopped short, eyes and mouths open wide.

"I told you it was a giant.  He climbed up the strange plant I was trying to tell you about this morning, and his name is Timpor. He is looking for a Talis man.  Do you know where a Talis man might live?"

Mara and Kallie's first instincts to grab Sarah and run, evaporated as the small girl moved closer to the creature, looking up in awe and wonder.

Kallie recovered enough to speak, his dry throat spitting out only a croaking sound.  "Please..."  Moisture evaporated from his mouth leaving no spit to dampen his shocked tongue.

"What's wrong with your mouth, Uncle Kallie?  I can't understand what you're saying." 

Timpor's thoughts processed enough of the sight before him to know the full size humans thought him there to harm them.  As he had never seen a human, albeit conjured visions of them in his night pictures, neither his face or frame had they witnessed in day or night.  He must unfrighten them to request their assistance.

"Humans, I search for something.  I do not wish you any harm." Timpor extended one massive hand in a passive gesture of goodwill. Both jumped backwards in fear, with the female tripping on her long strange outerwear and falling to the ground with a grunt. 

"Get away from us!  You've hurt my wife, please leave us alone.  Sarah, come over here now!"  Kallie wrenched Mara upright, brushed leaves and dirt from her skirt and turned back to the ogre. 

Sarah's face contorted in frustration, and she scuttled over to their side.  Timpor stood perfectly still trying not to startle them any more.

"Aunt Mara, are you okay?  Uncle, Timpor won't hurt us.  Why would he hurt us, he is just looking for the Talis Man."  She said this with complete confidence, and noting that the ogre had not made any menacing movements toward any of them, Kallie's common sense slipped into place.

"Where did you come from, creature?"

"My name is Timpor and I live in a place called the UnderNeath. My story is a long one, but I am searching for a talisman.  I believe it was brought to the surface of the OverNeath by a human youngling in a time gone past."

"I'm afraid we don't know of this talisman.  I have never met any magical creatures before you." 

Unsure of what to do next, Kallie turned to Mara and asked, "Is there anyone we know who could help him?" 

"Granny Jolla is the only person who might know if such a thing exists."



© Copyright 2013 LOT (lot13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954262-The-UnderNeath-work-in-process