*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954613-High-Stakes-by-Dick-Francis
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Review · Other · #1954613
Another story from Mr. Francis about race horses and their owners
High Stakes by Dick Francis ( an audio book read by Jeffrey Howard)



The books written by Dick Francis high light more than one profession.  And, some of the professions high lighted are not about horses. 



In this particular story facts about race horse owners in England and the USA are revealed.  Some of the particular subjects covered during the mystery are the expense of owning race horses, the relationships between owners and their horses. As well as, the relationships between owners and the trainers they hire to prepare the horses for races.



It is gratifying to see how the owner learns to care about his horses and see the faults in the owner-trainer relationship.



Another profession examined in the story is about the life of a toy maker.  One of my favorite quotes from the story is, "The toy man is as great as his toys." 



The story is a picture of how innocent people can be victims, yet public opinion can judge them as quilty. In Dick Frances's  preface of the book he tells about his choice in making his character a toy maker and some comments about the way the public views innocence and quilt. 



A quote at the very end is also amusing. "It's no good expecting fairy tale endings in racing."



Mr. Francis finds inspiring ways to help the good guys win.



© Copyright 2013 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954613-High-Stakes-by-Dick-Francis