*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954833-FreeBird-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1954833
Drake is fed up with always being in between his parents war. He's finally gonna run away.
Welcome to Detroit

Drake was sick of his parents arguing. They had the same argument every damn day. They’d been divorced for a few years and they still argued about the money. Drake heard his mom say something.
“You’re not trying to raise a child.”
It wasn’t even that mean, but it made Drake feel like he was a burden on his mother. He’d tried being less needy, but the arguing continued. They both used him as leverage in their arguments. Mom wouldn’t let Dad see his son. Dad wouldn’t pay to support his child. The only way to get out of the arguing was to leave. He’d tried to several times, and his mom never seemed to care if he was gone. He wrote a letter saying he would be living on his own for a while. He signed it and left it on the kitchen table.
“Dear mom, I can’t stand living here anymore. The arguing is just too much. I don’t want you and dad to get into a war over me. I don’t want to be your child. I want to be another adult. I’m not your responsibility. I am a grown man. Signed, Drake”
He grabbed his favorite cap, with a Miami Dolphins logo on it, and covered his short black hair. He grabbed his Motorcycle license and decided to just leave. He didn’t want to have to face his mother. He went to the bank and took out $1,000 of his own money and then walked to the bus stop. The bus would drive through Denstrom tonight, and he could get off near the Extreme Gymnastics Center (XGC) his friend, Bryan, and his family’s business. Denstrom would be a long drive. It was at least a 45 minute drive. Drake thought about the guilt of leaving his family, but quickly dismissed those thoughts. Instead, he thought of hope. The arguing had been keeping him up and ruining his appetite as well as social skills. Maybe this June would bring the restart that his life desperately needed. Drake would miss the good times with his parents. Although they were rare, Drake remembered watching the Dolphins with his dad, learning to play and write music, baseball. And he would really miss having his mom be there whenever he was sad. She had a way about her to always know what was wrong. He had to say goodbye to the good times. It was a necessary sacrifice for getting rid of all of the pain. Still, a tear welled up in his eye. Before he lost it, a girl near Drake’s age approached him. She wore a red T-shirt, and matching gymnastic pants. Her long, wavy, blond hair floated gently down her shoulders.
“Is this seat taken?” She asked.
Her blue eyes fixated on Drake while she waited for a response.
“I said, ‘Is this seat taken’. What’s the matter, can’t you speak?”
Drake shook his head. “Take a seat”
She made simple chatter. “Where are you headed all alone?” She asked.
“Uh… I’m moving out. Trying to make it in the big city. And you?”
“I’m looking to get a good start on life. And Denstrom seems like the best place”
Drake couldn’t describe it, but the girl seemed so perky, it almost seemed fake. He figured she must be overjoyed by the thought of being independent for the first time, just like he was.
“So” Drake began, “You’re going to Denstrom, too?”
“Yup” the girl nodded.
“Do you have any place to stay?”
The girl shook her head, but still kept a smile. “Nope. I’m just gonna figure it out when I get there.”
Drake admired her positive attitude, but found it a little off-putting. Nevertheless, Drake enjoyed her company. It kept his mind off of his problems. For the entire ride, they went back and forth, they shared hobbies and interests. They both enjoyed gymnastics, and thrill-seeking. Neither of them dared ask the other why a 16 year old was moving into Denstrom, alone. It would only lead to personal questions which Drake didn’t want to have to answer. They both got off at the same spot.
“Maybe I’ll see ya around” Drake smiled as he turned away.
“Ya…” The girl began, “Maybe.”
Drake decided to spend some time in the XGC. He had once overheard what the password was to unlock the doors to the center. He loved the place because in the back they had rock climbing claws and glider suits for free fallers. It was the perfect place for him to go for a thrill. He always went there, even though his friend was leaps and bounds more daring than he was. But, when he was alone, no one made him look bad, he was the best around. Drake went straight to the back room where the glider suits and wall climbing claws where stored. Before he could even begin to enjoy himself, he heard a police siren in the distance. Did someone see him? Did they call the cops on him? He had to admit, a sixteen-year old boy going into a place with dangerous equipment could be considered bizarre. No, he was just being paranoid. He imagined how awkward the call would be.
“Hello, operator. I saw someone get into Extreme Gymnastics.”
“What did he do?”
“Well, he just unlocked it”
“So what’s the damage?”
“…Nothing…”
“Good-bye Ma’am”
Still, the sirens where slightly unnerving. Just to be safe, he grabbed a dark grey cloth and tied it up like a bandana. He put on his sunglasses and looked in the mirror. He could barely recognize himself. The sirens where becoming louder. He decided to climb the rock wall to the secret floor landing high in the air. Dom had been up there once when he replaced a light bulb, but it wasn’t fun. The landing was only held up by 4 aged ropes. The landing itself was no longer than 18 inches. From there, he’d need to climb the rope ladder to the secret escape to the roof. Drake had always despised rope ladders. He’d always take forever to climb. He’d always have to struggle with it, and the ladder always seemed to work against him. This time, with the help of the iron claws, he was able to anchor himself into the wall, he was able to slowly progress to the ceiling. He held tight to the ladder with one hand, while the other hand was turning the knob. As Drake pushed the door up, he worried the ancient wood, would crumble on top of him. He opened it just enough to slide his slender figure through. He needed to get down before the cops saw him. He crawled across the roof until he could see down a side that would lead into a dark alley. The sirens continued to get louder. Drake looked down into the abyss below him. He used the glider to fall into the alley. As his eyes adjusted, he saw an old bike. It was dark in the alley, but Drake could make out the shape of a motorcycle. It seemed abandoned. Drake inspected the bike. It felt smooth. Taped under the seat, Drake felt a key. He wasn’t sure if he could just take it, but after inspecting the large amount of dust covering it, he concluded that no one would miss it. He prayed it would start. He turned the key in the ignition, but nothing happened. He tried again, after a moment of sputtering, the engine roared to life. It shook like an excited animal, finally being shown attention. He but on a black helmet and began driving. As he pulled out of the alley, he noticed that it was a black Yamaha. It was a beautiful bike. It was strong. Drake drove through the city, looking for a place to stay. He searched tirelessly through every street through the city. As he approached the far end of the city, he saw a small condo with an old sign in front of it. “Own this 1-bedroom condo Cheap! Call 555-2385” Drake pulled into the driveway and called the number. A groggy voice picked up.
“Who’s there?”
Drake cleared his throat, “Uhh… Hello. I’m calling about that 1 bedroom condo on Walson Street.”
“Oh…” The man was caught off guard. “That one. That one’s been on the market for over a year. How bout we discuss the deal tomorrow. Let’s say noon.”
“Alright then” Drake hung up. He’d rest outside the condo, but first he walked around to the back. It seemed to be the end of Denstrom. While the view from the front was alive with lights, and noise, the back yard was clean. There was a mini forest of trees. Drake wanted to search it but it was like a black hole. The forest seemed to swallow any light from the moon. Drake went back out to the front and lay down on the porch. Just as he began to doze off he heard a girl scream. As he jerked awake he saw a girl being chased by two large thugs.
“Give up and we won’t have to hurt you!”
Drake saw them chase her down an alley. Drake tied up his bandana and quietly followed the thugs. He climbed the wall with the claws to hide. The slight sound of iron digging into the wall alerted one of the thugs. The thug turned.
“I thought I heard something”
“Well, do ya see anything?”
“No”
“Then there’s nothing there”
One thug slapped the other. One of them tried pulling at the girls arm. Drake dropped down and scratched the thug’s arm, causing him to pull away. After getting a good look at Drake he laughed.
“Who’re you supposed to be, Batman?”
“Ya. Look at that stupid bandana”
Drake extended a claw and tore through the thugs’ shirt. “If I where Batman, I’d have you arrested. I’ll rip you two to shreds.”
He swung another claw and narrowly missed the thug’s throat.
“Run” He whispered.
The thugs stumbled over each other trying to escape. Drake pulled off his bandana and yelled.
“Ya! You better not make me chase after you. I’ll tear you guys to pieces.”
He turned and saw the girl staring at him in shock. Drake realized that he was showing his face and tried to hide it and climb up the wall.
“Wait” she called. “You’re the guy from the bus”
“Oh ya” he answered, dismissively.
“My name’s Kelly. I forgot to tell you on the bus.”
“Oh…”
“Well… What’s your name, ‘Hero-boy’?”
“My name’s Drake. Drake Andrews”
“No” Kelly giggled, “Your ‘hero’ name.”
“Oh… You think I’m a hero?” He asked.
She smiled and spoke. “You did just save me”
“Well… I don’t have a name”
“Well, maybe I can help you come up with one for ya” She smiled jokingly.
As soon as Kelly released his arm, Drake scurried up the wall.
Drake paused and turned back.
“Do you mind keeping this whole thing a secret?” Drake asked from 10 feet in the air.
“No problem, Mystery-Man” Kelly answered, sarcastically, with a wave.
One day in the city, and I already have a superhero persona. Drake fell asleep as soon as he lay down on the porch.
© Copyright 2013 DolphinsFan (miadominator13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954833-FreeBird-Chapter-1