*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955052-Zombie-Attack-Part-1
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1955052
The zombie apocalypse has started. Will Sarah survive?
They walk around without any clue as to what's going on. Blood drips from their mouths, human flesh stuck in their teeth. They all have a desire to hunt, to kill, to eat, one thing. Humans. Their brains have turned spongelike, useless to them now. Broken bones and bruises are harmless to them. The only way to kill them is a solid blow to their head. All blood flow has stopped. The heart stops pumping within the early days of the virus. They are only able to do two things; walk and bite. They don't walk like you probably assume they do. Their arms aren't pointed straight out or anything like you see in the movies. They appear to sleep walk, unable to go move faster than a slow jog. The human population as we know it is no more. This is the start of the Zombie Apocalypse.

August 17, 2025.
I've decided to start writing a journal of my actions in case I don't survive this epidemic. I hope scientists, or whoever is left of man kind, is able to figure out what has happened. I may only be a small town girl, but in my early teenage years I read all about Zombies. I tried to convince the people around me It would happen, to get them to study the subject as I did, but nobody understood the need for it. My mother bought me a blue backpack for Christmas when I was 14, told me I could put my research in there. On the front of the backpack it said Sarah's Research written in green and a zombie outline sewn on. I never had the bag out of my sight. Inside I Carried all I had learned about zombies along with my own copy of "Zombieland". I could tell you almost every word in that movie from watching it so many times. I had my Zombie Attack checklist and maps of the city, state, country, and world. I had my way plotted out to an army base in Virginia where my brother, Jace, was stationed. As I continued to research my bag continued to fill up with papers. However, I always left room for two outfits; one for cold weather and one for hot. I also had room for a few bottles of water, canned food, and my favorite stuffed animal. This was my only reminder of a time not long ago.

I remember hearing about the first outbreak. I was going to be 17 in a week, that's all I'd been talking about for a month. I was ready to go to college to enter the medical field. I wanted to study viruses. My parents and I often fought over my career choice but I refused to change my mind. We'd been watching the news one evening after dinner. There had been reports of humans biting humans and becoming wild. My stomach started to fill uneasy, I reached over for my backpack. I remember my mothers exact words. "Put that nonsense away Sarah", she grabbed the bag from me, "you don't need to be looking through that junk while spending time with your family." Little did she know, that nonsense has saved me this far.

A week later the virus appeared in my hometown. The first case of it in town was the school baseball coach, who then spread it to his players. I told my parents we had to go to the base Jace was at, but they said they refused to go. They, like most others, didn't realize you had to move during this time, you couldn't stay in one spot. I grabbed my car keys and made my way to the front door, book bag on my back. My parents begged me not to go, tears filled both theirs and my eyes. The last words I said to them before leaving were "I've been right all along. I love you both" I haven't been back to my town yet to know if they're still living.

I'm currently sitting in an apartment building that over looks the fields. Ive barricaded the door to prevent attack. From my judgment I most be in southern Ohio. Tomorrow I will have to go out and scavenge for food. The sun is going down, I'll try to write tomorrow. I've made it through yet another day in this world.
© Copyright 2013 Cameryn (camerynh12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955052-Zombie-Attack-Part-1