*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955149-The-Weather-Report
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1955149
Some conversations are only confusing to those who have them. A Writer's Cramp Entry
The Weather Report

William stood up, stretched, and began shutting down the house for the night.

"Is it 10 o'clock already?" asked his wife, JoAnne.

"Yep. Got to get up early – chores don't do themselves," he stated. JoAnne was used to the routine.

"Tonight?" she asked hopefully.

"Nope. Got a busy day tomorrow and I rekon I’ll be needing my wits about me."

With the coming of Spring, JoAnne had hoped the season would awaken her husband’s libido. She loved him but was frustrated by his lack of conjugal interest.

It had progressed to the point where she had contemplated moving beyond just flirting with one of her online "boyfriends." She had even talked to one on the phone.

Moving to the bedroom, she sat in front of her computer and made her nightly entry in her blog. As usual, she bemoaned her lack of intimacy.

"Can I help?" almost immediately appeared in the comment box. Peering over her glasses, she saw it was from Bob34.

"Don't tempt me LOL," she typed in response.

"I'm serious, Farmer's Daughter." She smiled at the use of her screen name.

"Perhaps one night, but not tonight Bob," she typed before turning the computer off.

By the time she got into bed, William was snoring. With a sigh, JoAnne drifted off to sleep.

The sound of thunder, pouring rain, and a ringing phone woke her. Glancing at the clock, JoAnne saw it was 12:30 a.m. as she listened to William on the phone.

"Hello," she heard him say.

"How the hell would I know? I'm in Iowa and this ain't the weather service!" came his angry voice. After a pause, he said, "All I can tell you is that here, we're in the middle of thunderstorm. It’s raining like crazy and there doesn’t seem to be any let up." The phone slammed down and she felt him move back under the covers.

"Who was it?" she asked.

"It was a wrong number. Some idiot named Bob wanted to know if the coast was clear."

JoAnne felt a smile grow on her face. He might not have understood the conversation, but she did. She drifted back to sleep knowing her dreams would be happy ones.


An entry for the 9/29/13 round of "The Writer's Cramp
Prompt: Write a poem or story about the secret you encounter while accidentally over-hearing someone’s very non-private phone conversation.
Word Limit: 1000
Word Count: 367
© Copyright 2013 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955149-The-Weather-Report