*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955634-The-TreatAnd-The-Trick
by Angus
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1955634
A Short (and early) Halloween Story


THE TREAT…AND THE TRICK




           Fritz loved this time of the year, and it wasn’t just because of the late autumn colors of the trees. Moreover, it was October, his favorite month, which also meant it was Halloween.

         At sixty-seven years old and widowed, Fritz rarely had any company, and to see all those little ghosts, monsters, and princesses walk up on his porch each year was his treat.

         And what a treat it was.

         Just as he had every year for the last nineteen years, Fritz had his decorations out three weeks early. An overstuffed scarecrow and a plastic human skeleton shared the porch, along with numerous pumpkin heads with candles replacing their brains to give off just the right feeling of the holiday.

         Sitting in his easy chair tonight he glanced at his watch, and right on cue, as if reading his mind, a light rap, rap rapping came a-tapping at his front door. He got up to answer it, and was delighted to see a small Mickey Mouse, a princess, and a caped Count Dracula waiting in line.

         “Well, well,” he said. “I guess I have to treat you or you’ll trick me, eh?”

         None of his guests said anything. Instead, Mickey simply held out his bag. Fritz grabbed a handful of Tootsie Rolls and dropped them in.

         “Thank you,” Mickey said, and headed off down the street.

         The princess was up next, and as soon as she got her goodies, did the same.

         But when The Count approached, Fritz noticed he didn’t have a bag.

         “Where’s your bag?” he asked.

         “I’m not here for a treat, sir,” he said. “I’m here for the trick.”

         Before Fritz knew what was happening, Dracula leaped up and quickly sank his sharp fangs into his throat.

         And what a trick that was.


© Copyright 2013 Angus (deadzone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955634-The-TreatAnd-The-Trick