*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956385-Protagonist-Backstory----Silvia
Rated: E · Assignment · Young Adult · #1956385
Pickpocket On Slave Street - Protagonist Backstory CONTEST Entry
Her agonizing screams could be heard from all the way out in the garden plaza, the place that I chose to study my lessons that day. For a young mind like my own, I feared for my mother’s well being not knowing what was happening. The only one I knew that could reassure me everything was okay was my father, but he was out and seemed like he wouldn't return for some time.

No matter how many times that I wanted to check on my mother one of the nursemaids would stop me and tell me to return to my studies. I found it quiet hard to concentrate with the cries of my mother in the air, but with great regret I tried to.

With what seemed like forever, but in reality was no more than a couple of hours, I was given permission to see my mother. I walked eagerly to my parent’s bedroom. One of the nursemaids said my mother had a surprise for me, being a seven year old girl, this was very exciting.

Upon entering my mother’s sleeping quarters I saw her holding something wrapped in cloth.

“Darling, come here. I want you to meet someone.”

I was a bit wary to approach her, but with a soft smile from her, I knew I had nothing to worry for.

As I knelt by my mother’s side I saw what was wrapped in my mother’s arms. A newborn.

“Silvia, please welcome your young brother, Warren.”

But I couldn’t, I was in a trance as I stared at his sleeping face. He already had locks of gold on his head and skin as pale as my own. He seemed so helpless and fragile that I feared I would break him if I dare so breathed.

“Hello Warren, I am Silvia, your sister.” My small voice spoke softly.

As if he heard my greeting, he opened his eyes, which were a clear shade of green, much like my mother’s eyes were.

Upon seeing me, Warren reached up as if he wanted me closer.

I moved my hand to where his smaller ones could grasp.

“Silvia, you now have a duty as an older sister to protect Warren. Keep him safe from the cruel world that we all live in, as me and your father will protect you.”

I nodded my head, my hand still held by the small and purely innocent thing that would need my protection.

~


The sky was bright and clear, much unlike my family’s cold and gloomy spirits.

My father paced around the mansion, unshaven and almost as if he was the one whose life was gone. I guess you could say his life and everyone else who lived in the mansion had their life taken with the passing of my mother.

Not long after Warren’s birth, my mother had grown very ill. No doctor could find a cure for her ailment and in due time, she pasted away.

Since my father was too distressed to work, much less care for his own children it was up to the nursemaids to tend to me and my brother. But not even they could keep me shielded from the dark truth that was, I would never see my mother again.

I sat in the parlor, trying to focus on anything but the feeling of pain that took refuge in me. No matter how hard the people in the mansion tried to shield me from it, the sorrow that took my father had taken me as well. Warren, being but a mere infant, crawled around the room trying to get someone to play with him, after he found no one he resulted in playing alone.

So happy… so lucky… so…

My thoughts began to cloud my mind and my body began to work on its own. I got up from my perch by the window and walked over to where he now sat and played with a few of his toys. I knelt down and picked him up, he fussed a bit because I had taken him from his toys, but I truly need him close to me at the moment.

I walked back to the window and sat Warren on my lap. He stopped fussing and found interest in my scarlet locks that fell over my shoulders.

Seeing how happy and unaffected Warren was brought tears to my eyes.

You are not lucky… I am… you never got to know how wonderful our mother was… and know you never will

The tears fell from eyes out of, not sorrow, but pity, pity for the brother that will never know our mother.

“Don’t worry Warren, I’ll still protect you, because mother protected me till the end and so will I.”
© Copyright 2013 Raye-the-Amazing (rayetheamazing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956385-Protagonist-Backstory----Silvia