*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958488-Background-Story---Amadou-Diallo
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1958488
This is a background story for the main antagonist in my upcoming NaNo novel... enjoy!
"Amadou," his mother had always said, "One day, we will shake their influence. One day, we will have a country governed by Islam. It will be so."

He had grown up with a devout family that wanted to see Sharia law established in every corner of Mali. He had grown up wanting to be one of the ones that made this happen. And in 2012, they had come so close! They had taken over the North, rooted out the "moderates," and established Sharia law. No more bowing to Western influence; they had had a taste of paradise. Authority had been rightly theirs - the religious, the devout, the ones who were ushering in the rule of Allah.

Prostitutes had been swiftly brought to their proper justice - slaughtered. Thieves lost limbs. The faithful prayed and lived in peace. What more could true Muslims want? The whole atmosphere was conducive to the pilgrims on their journey to paradise. Sin was not tolerated, and the faithful carried on in their lives and work.

But when French and US forces combined to drive them back, things changed. One by one, they lost the cities they had worked so hard to claim. The foreign forces - again, putting their feet where they didn't belong - had conspired to drive the fundamentalists back. The fundamentalists only wanted the best for their country, the most devout standing before Allah, and the foreigners had taken that away from them.

Things had to change. Westerners had to fear setting foot in their territory again. The region must be destabilized in order to bring about the greater, more holy good. They would plan an attack. It would have to be unexpected and sudden. Carried out quickly and with no looking back. Hand to the plough, the protectors of the Religion would attack Western interests and strike fear in heathen hearts. The attack would have to serve the dual purpose of providing funding for Al-Murabitoun, the freedom-fighting organization to which Amadou Diallo belonged. Raise funds and strike fear. Dual motivation for a single, unexpected attack.

Oumar Drabo and Ibrahim Sissoko, long-time friends of Amadou, would see the wisdom in the plan. They would help organize and carry out the attack. All would go well, because Allah would will it, and the infidels would see the futility of trying to put down roots anywhere in Sahelian countries.

"Oumar, Ibrahim, come!" called Amadou. He would waste no time in divulging his plan to them, and then to his leaders. He would be commended for this - both now and in the life hereafter. Time was ripe for an attack.
© Copyright 2013 Anna Ruth (anru7695 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958488-Background-Story---Amadou-Diallo