*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958668-The-UnNamed
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1958668
10/19 Contest Round #3 Antagonist Back Story for NaNo Prep
I have spent a millenia searching for these answers.  Yet, as I sit here facing the possibility of finding everything I had been searching for, I seem to hesitate.  I am afraid. Afraid of the very answers I seek.



After everything we saw and heard, they ordered us to destroy all evidence, all record, all acknowledgment of everything  that happened.  No one asked questions, no one blinked an eye, no.  Not when the Cluster made a…”request”.  But I still had to find the truth.  When my time watching this team of lower species was up I set out to discover who these UnNamed were that they would make one of the Galactic Order cringe in fear. 



Back when the UnNamed were… in business, they were known by many different names depending on your particular experience with this species.  That is, if you were lucky enough to survive that experience.  The Devourers, The Darkness, The Plague, Duiwels, Verschlinger, and Malvagi, are but a handful of names  that I’ve heard in my travels from those who claimed to have known someone, who knew someone, who knew something about a species that sounded like what I was describing.  ::sigh:: Some were obvious tales told around plasma fires, others that may have started with a small piece of truth, but just got blown way out of proportion, but all claimed they were simply stories of legend.  Still I followed every single lead. 



Last week I finally received a communication, from some dust beings. They were barely visible to the eye.  If not for the sparkle of the space dust that seemed to shimmer upon the air as they moved, you would hardly know they were there.  These were the first to finally share any useful information with me.  That being said, they were only the second to even acknowledge that they truly had first hand knowledge of the creatures made of liquid madness, the other did everything but run away screaming when I described the species eating habits.  I hadn’t even mentioned the possession.



Seems, no one really knows how the UnNamed came to exist in our universe.  Some say they are born from the black holes of the oldest galaxies, while others say they are born from the dying suns of the first stars to blink into being. There are those who question if the UnNamed are even from this Universe at all.



If we could find the oldest sentient beings left in this known Universe, with any knowledge remaining of the UnNamed, they would tell you that they are from another dimension of another universe altogether, and that contemplating their very existence is a task only for those who do not wish to keep their sanity intact.  I would soon find out the truth of this.



These few beings left to share their tales aren’t very willing to give up much information about these UnNamed either.  These particular ones seem to be uncomfortable even in the attempt to remember what they came to know so long ago, despite seeking me out to share their tales.  Their energies seem to twist and vibrate with a fear they have probably scarcely felt in the seeming eternity they have walked upon the stars.



Finally they agree and all three walk forward towards me,  their bodies combining and surrounding mine like a swirling breeze just under my skin, and I continue to wonder if I really wanted to know their secrets after all.



An explosion expands from the center of my head as foreign memories swirl into my mind in a blur, suddenly slamming into a vivid scene of a crisp, clear night, so quickly, that it literally knocked me backwards into the couch behind me.  Then like a series of dreams, I saw them. 



I watched frightened and running as The UnNamed devoured families around me.  I drove frantically to my personal ship port as they infected the town and engorged themselves on the city.  In another dream I floated above the planet watching with tears in my eyes, trembling as waves of darkness washed over the countries below.  Then finally watched from afar as they moved from planet to planet leaving nothing but hunger and madness behind them. They seemed to swallow even the stars themselves as they swept through a galaxy now long gone, consumed by the creatures I once helped to imprison.  Now, I knew why.



The dust beings continued to show me some other choice memories and soon I could handle no more.  The worst part was, I could sense that they were holding back the worst of it, and even after what they showed me, my imagination could not conjure up any resemblance of what secrets those memories could contain, but I wanted to see no more. 



I could still feel their fear and sorrow lingering in my mind as I returned to my ship.  My experience had only been a matter of minutes in a thousand years of searching but those precious minutes made me realize just how lucky we had been that day.  Just how close we had come to annihilation from an ancient demon buried in the darkness between the galaxies.  And just how important it was to keep the knowledge of their location and true existence a secret.  I would return to the CoOp and help guard Blank Space and keep their secrets. The darkness imprisoned within that asteroid needed to remain The UnNamed.
© Copyright 2013 🌑 Darleen - QoD (dmadison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958668-The-UnNamed