*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959477-Boundaries
Rated: ASR · Essay · Opinion · #1959477
The essential need for boundaries.
To interact successfully with others, boundaries must be observed.  Hate and name calling are counterproductive.  If one resorts to hate and name calling, and if someone takes umbrage to it and requests that the perpetrator keep it to themselves (a reasonable request, to not be a sounding board for hate, bigotry and racism), and the perpetrator then ignores or dismisses that request, then the boundaries are not being observed, and the perpetrator then should not cry foul if they are shunned, ignored, or told rudely they are out of line, even if it means a few choice words. 

It’s all a matter of respect.  Without respect, there can be no successful interaction.  Disagreement, to be sure, is part of life, and can be done civilly.  It can be done with the observation of boundaries.  Yet when there is no respect for boundaries, successful interaction is futile.  One has the right, of course, to hate, to think ill of anyone, even if it means name calling.  But by the same token, one also has the right not to listen to such venom.  And one has the right to set the boundary.  But if the boundary is not observed, then that is disrespect, and nothing good can come from that.

To be sure, use of the “F-Word” is wrong, but that is the result of anger.  Racism and name calling, however, are the result of deep seeded prejudice and bigotry: in other words, hate.  One has the right to hate; no boundary can be imposed there.  But a boundary can, and should, be imposed if one is expected to be a sounding board. 

Boundaries are a good thing for everyone involved.  If boundaries are not respected, then disrespect is free to draw blood.






© Copyright 2013 Jatog the Green (webroot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959477-Boundaries