*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959802-Torched-First-Place-Daily-Flash
by Pepper
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #1959802
A soldier makes sure things do not turn out well for a Southern belle.
Screams rent the night air as Union soldiers dragged the Southern belle from her bed and out onto the lawn.  An old Negress came running out with ratty blankets to cover her. The plantation showed similar signs of neglect. Weeds engulfed the foundation.  The fences sagged and a gaping hole decorated the roof of the barn. 

“Please,” she pleaded, chest heaving. “We’ve nothing but the clothes on our backs.”

“Now, do you really expect me to believe that?” Sherman, or Uncle Billy as his men called him, shifted in his saddle so he could survey the entire estate.

“It’s true," she snapped, glaring at Sherman, "but what would a Yankee snake care if women are left homeless?”

“Well, Ma’m, I am a gentleman.” Sherman turned to Corporal Jones, “See that this woman is made comfortable while we search.  Ma’m, if you are not withholding any valuables or food sources for my men, I will see that the cabin behind the plantation remains. But if you are withholding anything….”  Sherman turned away to order his men to conduct their search.

Pulling the young woman close, Jones tossed back greasy hair and whispered in her ear, “If you promise to be nice to me, I’ll see that nothing is discovered.”  She replied with a stinging slap across the face.  Jones just jerked back and smiled, “Well, I guess, I’ll have to join the search.”   

It took him just ten minutes to conceal a stash from the last raid and seal the woman’s fate.  Palming one of the coins, he sprinted up the stairs.

“Look! I found it in the cellar, Sir. There’s a bag full.” 

Sherman turned the coin over several times before flipping it back to Jones. “Torch everything.” 

“Sure thing, Uncle Billy.” Jones turned and winked at the woman. 




Word Count = 299

Entry for Daily Flash Fiction (300 word limit)



© Copyright 2013 Pepper (plscholl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959802-Torched-First-Place-Daily-Flash