*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1960278-Verity
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1960278
Believe the truth before your eyes!
"Welcome to Clearview! Please enter your assigned number code into the call box to get through the security gate. Your code will also open the lock-box next to your front door which contains your keys, gate remote and a copy of your lease agreement. We are pleased to have you added to our community."

*Vignette4*


"Luc, our home is lovely! Thank you for convincing me that we needed to move here, instead of keeping our old apartments. I think I'm going to love this country living. And, we have a pond-side view!"

"I wanted this to be a brand new start for our future, Jodi. I'm happy you like it. There's also a community garden and country store, conveniently located on the premises. It'll make your life easier while your car's in the shop."

The next morning, Jodi, started unpacking boxes. She wanted to get as much done as possible, before Luc returned home from work. Her cell phone went missing during the move and there would be no internet service until the end of the week, so she felt disconnected from the rest of the world. Then she remembered what Luc said about a store on the premises.

She hopped on her bicycle and headed to the community center. While riding she thought about how she met Luc. He bumped into her, literally, with his car. It was a minor fender-bender, and although she was fine, he insisted she join him at the local coffeehouse to further apologize for his carelessness. They made plans to meet again. Consequently, their whirlwind romance began.

Her life was changing dramatically. He insisted she leave her own job and make plans for their wedding. She happily agreed, because they planned to start a family, soon.

While riding deeper into the community, she noticed some folks, smiled and waved. Surprisingly, no one returned her greetings.

A couple minutes later, she spotted the store. There was a quaint meetinghouse next door and a huge garden on the side of it.

As she entered the store, a little bell rang. The employees were wearing costumes that were like those worn in the late 1700's. She enjoyed their originality. It was like visiting a simpler time and a charming way to add interest to the community living.

She expected a warm welcome and a little neighborly conversation, but the woman behind the counter barely looked at her; mechanically bagging the purchases and giving Jodi her change due. Not even a, "have a nice day," was said. Jodi was disappointed, but was taught how to be polite. She thanked the woman and told her to enjoy her day. The woman gave her a curt nod but remained silent.

She tucked the shopping bag into the bike's basket and was about to start her journey home, but heard some voices nearby. There was a small gathering of folks huddled by the meetinghouse steps. Yearning to be noticed, she went over to introduce herself.

It was an odd gathering of people in different period clothing; not just from hers, but from each other's attire. She approached a lady, wearing a 1930's type of outfit.

"Hello, I'm Jodi; I just moved into 999, Temperance Road."

The woman didn't respond. Instead, an elderly man dressed in Amish clothing, approached her.

"The sooner you understand the ways around here, the better it will be for you. This community doesn't take lightly to strangers. No point in befriending somebody who's going to be leaving us soon."

"I don't plan to move from here for a long time. It's a perfect place to start a family."

The Elder stared at her intensely before saying, "Well we've heard that said before; don't mean anything. It's all about knowing who you are, and accepting your place here. It's up to you to take the right path. It's seldom that the Moderns accept this; they don't last long."

Jodi, upset by the rudeness, continued her journey home. Anxiety hit hard; she couldn't wait to tell Luc about her bad experiences with the residents. Their attire and attitude was bazaar! Very few were dressed normal, like she and Luc.

Luc listened patiently, as Jodi unburdened herself.

"That is strange, Jodi. I doubt they will continue to shun you, knowing your plans to stay. Try again tomorrow. You'll see, it'll all work out fine."

Jodi felt better. The couple kissed passionately and fell into a peaceful slumber after lovemaking.

When Luc left for work the next day, Jodi took his advice and took another tour of the community. She hoped he was right about them accepting her. However, everyone stared at her momentarily then turned away, showing their intent to shun.

Jodi was going to give up and head home when she saw the Elder from the previous day, flag her down.

"Meet your future husband at the security gate tonight, when he's due to arrive home. You'll begin to see, not only with your eyes but with your soul!" The man stated.

With that said, the man turned and walked away.

At 6:00 PM, Jodi decided to accept the Elder's challenge; if only to prove the old man wrong. It took her a while to get her bearings. She hadn't been to the gate since their arrival. She found the main street and followed it to the end, however, there was no gate.

She reasoned that she made a wrong turn somewhere. Nevertheless, after several attempts to get her bearings, she ended-up on the main street and still no gate.

Jodi spotted smoke from a chimney and went in that direction. At least being near some human, even a rude one, was preferable to roaming the community all night.

She found the house where the smoke was emitting from the chimney and knocked on the door. She was shocked to see the Elder, answer it. He grinned annoyingly, and asked if she got the message.

Jodi couldn't contain her rage, yelling, "I don't know what you mean. I tried to meet Luc at the gate, and got all turned around in the dimly lit street. I couldn't find the entry gate, saw your smoking chimney and found my way here. I need you to show me the way to Temperance Road."

"You modern ones are the worst. That which is in front of your nose, you refuse to see. Don't you understand? You didn't get lost on the main street to the gate because there is no gate!"

"Impossible! We came in through that gate a few days ago. It is you, Sir, who doesn't know reality! Please, may I have directions to my home? "

The Elder laughed, shaking his head while pointing the direction to Temperance Road .

Jodi got home, prepared to give Luc an earful; but he wasn't there. Pacing the floor until dawn, she finally collapsed on the sofa, not rising until noon.

Feeling trapped, she decided to confront the Elder, and demand answers about this puzzling community. He opened his door before she knocked and insisted she come in and have some tea. He said he would try to help her as much as possible, but ultimately it was up to her to figure out the truth.

Jodi attentively listened as the Elder spoke.

"Once you're a resident here, you cannot leave, because the gate disappears. We are a self-sufficient community; plenty of food, no cars needed because there's no place to go. Those aren't costumes the residents wear; they're clothes from their own eras. You won't see many Moderns, here. They are spoiled and used to getting things to go their way. They live and die clinging to their money and worldly possessions. Thus, we band together in this community and shun most new residents. They never last long enough to be our friends."

Shocked, Jodi inquired; "How do the Moderns get away if there's no gate?"

"There is one way out and it's not a good choice. A hidden gateway lies through those woods, yonder. There are thorny vines making it difficult to pass. Some of our kind have been tempted to leave; me included! But we returned before going through that exit. Sometimes the familiarity of your present misery is better than the unknown evil, of what lies beyond."

When the Elder was finished, Jodi thanked him and left.

Guessing her plans, the Elder called out, "Temperance Road, only goes up to number 700. Do you understand that, Missy?"

Jodi ignored his warnings. It was a chance she'd have to take to find Luc and save her sanity.

When she approached the woods, she tested how far her bike could maneuver through the vines. The thorny branches stuck in-between spokes, preventing her further travails, unless on foot. Her limbs were scratched and bleeding but she kept on course, to find the mysterious gate. She hoped the Elder wasn't sending her on another wild goose chase, involving a gate.

After an hour of walking, she noticed a stone wall, ending in two massive columns with a rusted, iron gate in between them. A marble plaque was embedded into the right column with the engraved, words, "Leaving Purgatory."

Jodi, exhaled while whispering, "Hell would be a better name for this godforsaken place."

She shook the gate lightly, finding it wasn't locked, and looked back one last time. An eerie light appeared above the meeting house roof.

Jodi, convinced she had to escape the evil community, gave the gate a shove. It opened wide, and stayed that way. She paused before exiting; there was something or someone rustling the bushes, ahead. Suddenly, a familiar figure rushed toward her.

"Luc, oh my God, where have you been? I've been frantic since you didn't return home last night. Where were you?"

"Jodi, thank God you're okay. I thought I'd never see you, again!
I tried to get home but I couldn't find the security gate. I had no way to reach you, either. I just noticed a strange light coming from the direction of the community; parked my car off the road and walked into these woods. I was desperate to get home, and rescue you from this hell hole! Come through the gate, Jodi. We'll find the car and leave this place permanently!"

Jodi cried tears of joy, opened her arms and ran toward the man she loved. As soon as she passed through the gate, it closed. The clanking sound startled her, making her stop and look back. There was only darkness. The stone wall and gate were gone. She heard a maniacal laugh coming from Luc's direction and fixed her gaze toward him. He started changing. A reptilian appearance destroyed his handsome face and physique. His eyes were a glowing red and horns erupted from his head.

"You had to come to me willingly, you know. Not all souls can be tricked into leaving Purgatory. It's their only means of repenting for their sins and earning a place in heaven. Allow me to properly introduce myself. Luc is merely a nickname. From this point forward, you may call me Lucifer; however, I prefer Master."

Jodi finally understood what the Elder was saying. She also realized that the car accident, was no fender bender. It actually took her life. She noticed a sign on a dead tree. Scripted in blood-red, were the words; "Welcome to Hell."

The ground beneath her feet began to rumble mercilessly, as she and her master faded into darkness.

Meanwhile, back in Clearview Community, the earth's movement caused a house on Temperance Road, to shake violently. The top screws of the address number loosened-up, making the number 999 drop down, bearing a new number, 666.


WC 1969



© Copyright 2013 Sssssh! I'm not really here. (webwitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1960278-Verity