*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961309-Letter-to-my-Grandson-in-Jail
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Experience · #1961309
A letter of love, truth, and reality to my beloved grandson.
Dear Grandson,

I am writing to you today because I love you.  I was there when you were born, and you've always been precious to me.  And don't give me that squirmy macho crap or I'll pinch your cheeks.

I'm working on the assumption that the cops had valid reason for tossing you in jail and charging you with multiple felonies.  If that assumption is wrong, and you are in jail unjustly, please forgive me and feel free to toss this letter in the trash.

I guess you're expecting me to say I'm disappointed in you, but in fact I'm not.  I knew you would end up in trouble eventually, because of the path you have started down.  I will say I didn't expect it to be this spectacular.  I figured you would get caught for some petty misdemeanor, and that would be the wake-up call you have so desperately needed.  But dammit man, when you jump, you jump big. LOL!  But nothing can change what has happened already.  The real question is, where are you going from here?

We all do things based on our sense of what is normal.  People in Viet Nam eat dogs and think nothing of it.  To them, that's their normal.

But normal is not a static point.  Everything we do adjusts our sense of normal.  It moves our balance.  Imagine a number line... yeah I know, math, ugh.  Just try. lol  Anyway, let's say being a saint is at 0 and a serial killer is at 100 on the number line.  And let's say most people start at birth at 25, for example.  When you do good, you move to the left.  When you do evil, you move to the right.  Repeatedly doing even tiny things, good or bad, will change your sense of what is normal.

When you wouldn't do your homework, you moved a point to the right.  When you dropped out of school, you moved a big point, maybe two.  When you decided to lay around and not do anything at home, you moved to the right every day for years.  And your sense of normal shifted toward bad.

Does that make you a bad person?  Not at all.  It means you have made some really bad decisions, and now you're reaping the rewards of those decisions.  It means that you have some work to do to shift your normal back toward good.

As I said, I am not disappointed in you.  Everyone is entitled to a screw-up every now and then.  I know what kind of person you are deep down.  Remember, we're family.  I've seen you grow up and I know you're a good person who has made a terrible mistake. 

I don't know what kind of punishment you're going to get.  I rather suspect you're going to serve some time for this, but I might be wrong.  We can hope.  But while you have some time to think, I hope you will think about what you want out of life.  You're a bright guy.  You can do pretty much whatever you set your mind to do.  Well, being a politician is probably out now, because you're not supposed to get caught stealing until AFTER you're elected.  *Smile*

If you do end up serving time in prison, you're going to have choices to make every day.  You'll have plenty of opportunities to learn some really dark arts.  They'll teach you how to steal cars, how to do B&E, how to be a pimp, all sorts of things.  It will be your choice whether to learn that kind of stuff.  Every time you listen to that stuff, you're moving your sense of normal a point on the line.

You will also have the opportunity to visit the library and complete your GED.  I am urging you, no, I am BEGGING you to get your GED.  And here's why:  You are aware how hard it is to get a job when you don't have a diploma or GED.  It's even harder if you have a record for theft.  I have heard it said that a murderer can get a job quicker than someone with a conviction for theft, because employers are worried you'll steal from them too.  If you have a record AND don't have a GED, it's going to take a miracle to find a job.  It's too late to fix the crime thing, but you CAN fix the GED thing.  Do it.  You're plenty bright enough for it.  Your uncle did it, and you can too.

So anyway, as I've been trying to say but keep getting sidetracked, I'm not disappointed in you.  I'm glad this has happened.  I wish it had been on a smaller scale, but it is what it is.  You needed a wakeup call, and you got one.  Now it's up to you to shape your future.  You have the power to become a great man or a career criminal.  The choice is yours.  Either way, I will always love you.

Wishing you the best,

Grandpa

© Copyright 2013 Cardynal Syn (cardynal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961309-Letter-to-my-Grandson-in-Jail