*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961414-Maryannes-Reflection
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Al
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Adult · #1961414
How can one man settle family disputes from his deathbed, with care and cunning
Maryanne sat on her window seat, one leg bent on the seat, one hanging down and her head was leaning on the window itself, looking out at the rain trying to find the moon’s reflection in the pond on the front lawn. That damned pond, it was the cause of her only fight with Michael. Married already 28 years, children are grown and out of the house, and the only thing he wanted to do was put in that stupid pond, which in it of itself wouldn’t have been so bad, except that he said the only place to put it was in the same place that she had grown and tended her prize winning flowers for the past 15 years. They fought for hours, no actually, they fought for days until the day he came home with the most beautiful painting of her flowers she could ever imagine.
She should have known better, she should have known Michael had something up his sleeve. He had taken a picture of her garden in full bloom the previous season and had it professionally painted so that she would always have her garden but never have to do the work anymore. He knew her arthritis had been hindering her ability to do the garden as much justice as she used to give it. So, he wanted to replace it with a no maintenance pond so that she could enjoy nature without having to slave over it.
So, again, here she was gazing longingly out at her only source aggravation her marriage ever really had and she can’t seem to take her eyes off of it. The rain feels like the calm before the storm. In actuality it was a gentle rain lightly hitting the window. Maryanne knew that tomorrow and the next day would only mean more people in the house and the quiet would all be gone. For now, she would savor the moment. She glanced over at Michael who was finally resting peacefully. It’s been a long time.
Maryanne walked through the next few days in her mind. Tomorrow morning her four children would be coming home for an indefinite amount of time. They will want to spend time with Michael and she will have the beds to change, sleeping bags to get out and more meals to cook than she has in 6 years. She made sure to stock the cabinets and the refrigerator/freezer for them. There were planned visitations as well as some she was sure would be more spontaneous. Some she anticipated and some she dreaded. Either way, the next 48 hours was going to be intense. As for right now – she was hoping this little rain would give her a quiet respite from her life.
~~~
Carry got the message. She got all the messages Maryanne left for her but she has chosen to ignore all of them. There was nothing she could do about the situation with her brother Michael. Instead, she decided she would just wait it out and see what happens in the end. Don’t get her wrong, she loved her brother very much. They have been close their whole lives, grew up tight as a clasp on the blue diamond. They finished each other’s thoughts and sentences, went to the same schools, liked the same music and even suffered from the same allergies. No brother and sister have ever been closer. Well, there was Irene but she never had the same relationship as Carry did with Michael. Irene is 7 years younger than her and Michael is 3 years older.
Irene was the odd ball out, it took her years to figure out who she was and whom she wanted to be. However, once she did Irene would stop at nothing to achieve a goal. Even if that goal meant underbidding her own sister on a business deal for a friend of hers or earlier in their lives when she went home with her prom date. Carry had forgiven her for those two as part of her growing up process but this last one was over the top, no one understands her anger, not even her own kids. It’s much harder to forgive and she hasn’t spoken to her sister since. Irene was caught by police drinking and driving which was bad enough by itself, however, she had Carry’s son and daughter in the car and had almost killed them with her recklessness. This is how Carry sees it no matter what Irene tries to tell her. In fact, she hasn’t spoken to her since and that was 3 years ago before her divorce. Michael tried to talk to her at the police station but all she could do was get her kids and get the hell out of there. She was scared out of her mind, it’s a day she will never forget. Irene always had an explanation to all these ‘mishaps’ and Michael always took her side too, this was their only source of contention.
They used to tell her to stop and be reasonable and really look at the whole picture. Irene was younger than her and somehow has weaseled her way into Carry’s life at all the wrong moments. It’s uncanny how she always found Irene at the heart of all her hard times. Not like Michael, he was supportive and stood behind her at all times. He came to the hospital every time her ex sent her there. Her sister, on the other hand was driving around drunk with her kids. Somehow this just never measured up to her.
Carry had spoken to Maryanne only yesterday and she knows that everyone is going to her house over the course of the next two days. That everyone, including Irene, will be there but she just can’t be under the same roof. Her children are going and haven’t stopped yelling at her for 3 years about cutting ties with their aunt. They keep telling her that they are in touch with her and that they love her as much if not more than they used to since that night. But Carry knew better, she knows that Irene can sweet talk just about anyone and has her kids wrapped around her little finger so tight that they can’t see who she really is. Carry does like her nieces and nephews and sees them as good influences despite their mother. It must be from Jack.
~~~~
Michael was stirring again. In fact, he was calling her name. She practically fell over at the sound of his voice. Maryanne was there in a split second and leaning over him to make sure she heard right.
“Sweetest picture I’ve ever seen.” Michael whispered as he had said to her for the past 28 years that they have been married. “Yes Michael, I’m here.” Maryanne was trying to hold back her tears but they were pouring over her eyes and down her face so quickly she did not have time to react to them.
“Carry and Irene” he said in his soft voice. “No, they are not here. Irene will be here by lunch tomorrow with her kids and Carry said she can’t make it. Billy will be here for breakfast, says you guys always did breakfast together and he is buying and all our kids will be here by dinner. The house will be a bustle with all those kids and grandkids.” This made Michael smile. Billy was his oldest friend. In fact he was very close with the girls as well, even Michael’s parents held him in high regard. Billy is a trusted friend to all, and a great ‘uncle’ to Maryanne’s kids.
Michael lifted his hand and touched his wife’s cheek. She felt warm and cold at the same time. She must have been sitting by the window again, that’s her favorite spot. She sat next to him and he pulled her down to lay down with him. This is what he needs. He whispers in her ear, “get the girls here – you have to”, then he hugged her even more and she finally allowed herself to sleep in his arms.
~~~~
Irene had been rushing her kids out the door. “Hurry up I told Aunt Maryanne that we’d be there by lunchtime and if you can’t pack faster we won’t make it. This isn’t just a pleasure trip you know.” Irene’s kids were much younger than her brother’s and sister’s. Not only was she the youngest but she also married much later.
She has a great time with Carry’s kids. They love her and they have bonded very well with her kids and that means more to her than anyone would ever know. Michael’s kids are even older than them and yet they treat her kids as if they were siblings. She loves her family more than life itself. Family is everything to her. They had only each other growing up. Irene being the youngest had Carry and Michael to depend on as substitute parents because theirs were too busy doing whatever it was they did. Certainly, taking care of their kids was never priority one.
Sure they took them on nice outings and made sure they had all that they needed materialistically and physically but that was about it. When it came to their emotional needs or any time they simply needed a pat on the back, they were nowhere to be found. Irene also remembers that when Michael got into college on scholarship they said thank you to him and took the money and went on a vacation by themselves. Then Carry married that pig and they wouldn’t take the kids for a weekend to give her a break.
There were so many times that Irene went off to help Carry that they didn’t know about. So many times Michael had to step in and ‘save the day’ for Carry which makes it even harder to understand why Carry isn’t speaking to her. She was always so pigheaded that she never realized who was saving whom. Carry always saw Irene as a pest, as someone who invaded her life at all times and at all costs. Michael knew the truth and so did Carry’s kids, but what will it take for Carry to finally see that they are all in this life together and no one is out to get her. That damn husband of hers really did a number on her, he even changed the way she saw her own past.
It’s been 3 years since Jack’s last punching bag episode along with their divorce, however, the worst part is that it’s been that same amount of time since Carry has spoken to her. Irene loves her sister and is hoping against hope that she will change her mind and join everyone at Maryanne’s at some point.
“Let’s go everyone! The car is packed!” Irene gave the final call. Everyone came running down the stairs and out the door. If she could describe it in one word it would be ‘flying’. Irene’s husband came down to see them off. “Sorry I can’t be there with you. Billy will be there and all the kids will too. Give everyone my love. I’ll come if necessary.”
“I know you will, please take care of what you have to and come if you can ok?” Irene was sad that her husband wouldn’t be joining them but he was being pulled in twelve directions at work just couldn’t get away at this time. Like he said, he would come if and when necessary. The thought of that made her shudder and her husband gave her once last hug. “I love Michael, he understands, I spoke with him yesterday.” She reached up and touched his cheek with her already trembling hand. “I know.” Was all she could bring herself to say.
~~~~
Billy got the call from Maryanne about a week ago and the two of them came up with a plan for the next couple days. Everyone will trickle in so it won’t be too overwhelming. He promised to get there for breakfast really so that he could have some alone time with Michael and so he can help Maryanne get the house set up. She is going to have Irene and her kids, Carry’s kids as well as her own and their children. All totaled it will be an extra 20 people in the house for an indefinite amount of time. Billy himself was going to be staying at a nearby motel to alleviate some of the pressure of the household.
Growing up with Carry, Irene and Michael had been wonderful. They took him in when no one else would. They understood his differences and didn’t care about them because, as Michael would always say, ‘it doesn’t define you, it’s only one part of you.’ Next to Nick, Michael is the only male friend that he can honestly say he loves.
Billy had some connections that Maryanne didn’t and he knew more about the situation than she did, and as close as they are, he still kept it to himself. In due time, in due time. Billy grabbed his backpack and hopped onto his Harley so he can be on the road before sunrise and watch the sun come up as he rode over Giant Hill Road just before getting to their house. Best ride was always in the morning. He and Michael took this road many times together and at many hours of the day too. God Bless Michael, ‘stay safe my friend I’m coming.’ With that said, he was on his way.
~~~~
Maryanne got up slowly from Michael’s bed, she watched him for a minute or two before she took his blanket and covered him up, checked all that needed to be checked and then headed to the shower. In less than 2 hours the house would start filling up with people and love. Or so she hoped.
While in the shower, Maryanne started to cry, the pressure was too much and she had to finally let it go, all of it, these past 6 months and the coming 48 hours, she let it go right through her. As she finally turned off the water, her head hung low – her hair was in her face and her shoulders were sagging and her throat was so dry she could hardly breathe. Grabbing her robe, she slowly walked out of the bathroom, took one more, quick peek at Michael sleeping and went downstairs.
No sooner did she get downstairs and that familiar sound of Billy’s Harley was ringing in her ears. She went to the door and swung it open in great anticipation of seeing someone who could help take the pain away.
As if sensing being watched, Billy looked up to see a sight he had hoped was only a nightmare, but as she opened her arms he knew it wasn’t. Billy dropped what was in his hands and ran into Maryanne’s arms. She melted into him as he wrapped his arms around her. She was still shaking from her shower and Billy just stood there and held her, there were no words to be said right now. She just needed to hold him and needed to be held by someone warm. Michael tried so hard last night to hold onto her but his arms were cold and weak that it made it really hard to stay there, it took all her physical and mental energy to not get out of bed and leave him to sleep alone. This morning she needed some breath of life near her, thank god for Billy.
They stood there for a good 5 minutes before he began to slowly push her into the house. Billy walked her all the way to the kitchen and sat her down on the big rocker they always kept there. He kissed the top of her head, handed her a cookie from the cookie jar and said, “Don’t move, let me get the groceries.” Where was she going, she could barely move right now. She was so numb this morning she wasn’t even sure she felt the cookie in her hands, she certainly saw it there but she could not concentrate long enough to eat it.
Billy came striding in with a few bags of essentials for this morning’s breakfast. It was just the two of them right now – they would bring Michael his breakfast later. “I’ll take your van and go shopping after I get some food into you. I’m not sure the last time you ate and I want to make sure you do it in front of me, got that?” Billy was cautious not to use a loud voice but he had to make sure she understood him.
“I just can’t do it alone anymore. Thank you Billy. Where is Nick?” Maryanne always asked about Billy’s roommate. He had been friends with Michael long before he met Maryanne and she accepted him for whom he was right away, never wavering in her desire to keep him close to the family. She has a special persona and it pained Billy to see her in such a state. “He is away on business and sends his deepest regrets, told me not to eat all your muffins but then he said I should beg for the recipe before I leave.” This made the corners of her mouth start to move up, Billy always could do that to her.
“Let’s be honest Maryanne, you look like hell and it looks fresh – how long were you crying this morning?” He was talking to her while walking around the kitchen cooking as if he owned the place. Billy knew where everything was in their house, he had lived with them in the early part of their marriage, had helped them buy this house too.
When the three of them were about 25 Michael proposed to Maryanne with Billy’s help. He spelled out their names in candies of her favorite color on the beach while they were on vacation. Everyone up on the boardwalk who saw it were screaming ‘say yes!’ which of course she did and gladly. They were together when Billy lost his brother in a car crash, when she gave birth to all four of her kids, when Michael lost his job. You name it, the 3 of them have basically been inseparable in their adult lives. This time would be no different. They will hold it together by holding on to each other.
“Would you believe this wonderful look is all from my shower this morning?”
“Let me guess, you thought the shower would drown out the noise of your crying so you let it and before you know it the floodgates were open, been there my dear, with my brother. Mad as hell at the world then as you recall, then I fell into a depression that took a mountains of M&M to move. I would not have gotten over that were it not for the two of you. Now it’s payback. Let me take care of everything while I’m here. Sure your kids will help a little but they will be more concerned with watching their own kids as you should too. I got this one Maryanne.” He walked over to the rocking chair, picked up her chin so she was looking at him and saw the river of tears she had been crying since sitting there. She was still in her robe but it didn’t matter, it was just the 2 of them. “I’m not going to bring him his breakfast upstairs. I think it would be best if he was downstairs when the grandkids got here. I’ll bring him back up if it gets too much I promise. Come let’s eat and then we will move things around. Ok?”
Maryanne took his hands and stood up. It was like walking with legs of lead to get to the table. She was so tired and she needed to revive herself before everyone else came at lunchtime. Irene was never late so she knew they would be here, her children, on the other hand, didn’t have that sense of urgency to be anywhere on time so they probably will start meandering in around 2 this afternoon and continue coming until dinnertime.
They ate in silence, holding one hand on the fork and the other hand on each other. Billy had prepared toast, and omelet with cheese, orange juice and some fruit with whipped cream. It looked like it was straight out of a magazine. When they were done eating she got up to do the dishes while Billy headed upstairs to prepare Michael to come downstairs.
Billy marched upstairs 2 at a time and then slowed down when he got to their bedroom door. He took a deep breath, grabbed hold of the doorknob and slowly crept in. As he stood over the bed, thoughts of memories both good and bad rambled through his mind. He was dumbfounded and could not move. He was looking at a shell of the robust man he once knew. A single tear was running down his cheek as he heard some whispering. He quickly leaned down to hear Michael.
“Beaver lake, she has to come – remind them of Beaver Lake.” Michael put his head down and lifted his hand to his friend who obliged him by grabbing hold of it and helping him to sit upright with the pillows behind him. Michael took Billy’s hands and stared into his eyes, “You must call Carry – it’s time she understood. Maryanne can’t, only you.” Another deep breath and Michael leaned his head back onto the propped up pillow.
“For you man, I’ll try just about anything – but Carry has her own images of the past, I’m sure that jackass convinced her that never happened either.”
“She never told him Billy, I’m sure of it. This one was sacred – not even Maryanne knows nor did Irene say anything – but now it’s time. Now it’s………” Michael had a couple tears rolling down his cheek and Billy all but died inside to see it. He had to make a promise to this man, this brother, to bring his sisters back together again. Somehow he had to make it work. Billy walked over to Michael’s closet.
“First we have to get you dressed. Let’s go with your……HOLY CRAP!! You still have our high school chess championship shirt?! This you HAVE to wear. Maryanne can laugh all she wants but today is championship day. Oh, and here are some sweat pants to match. Aha! Let’s not forget the best part – our beer drinking hats. We thought we were so cool in them remember?” Billy turned around to see Michael still looking sad. He put all the clothes on the bed and went to get a wet washcloth to wash up his friend before getting him dressed.
“I couldn’t help her today.” He whispered. “Help who buddy?” Billy asked cautiously. “My angel, she was in the shower and she was upset and I couldn’t help her, I heard her, I felt her but I couldn’t help her. Promise number 2 – you will help her, yes?” Billy choked back his own tears just knowing what Michael heard her this morning. It must have sounded horrifying to him and then not being able to help her was a crushing blow to what’s been going on. Billy was sure he wanted to return the favor as caregiver that she had been relegated to do these past 6 months.
“I’m on it boss, don’t you worry, already made her breakfast. I have some for you too but it’s downstairs, so let’s get dressed and head on down. You want piggyback or should I carry you in front?” Billy tried to say this in as light a tone as possible because he knew for a fact that Michael was not one to ask for help especially for something physical. He would rather build a ladder by hand to get to something than ask someone to help him reach it. But today… today was different, Michael answered quietly, “in front please” was all he said.
When the two of them got downstairs, Billy put him down carefully on the recliner, pulled up the foot part and put a pillow under his legs. Then he grabbed the blanket Irene had made him years ago and laid it across his legs. He made a few other adjustments then he whispered to his friend, “I’m going to help your angel in the basement now – we are setting up the beds for the little ones coming later.” He put his hand on his shoulder and continued “You ring if you need us you hear?”
Michael leaned his head back and grinned. However, when Billy was out of sight, the tears came pouring down – he wanted to help his angel. He wanted to be the one to make all the beds and make the rooms ready for all the kids to come home to. That was his job not Billy’s, but Billy had been there for everything so why not this too. God has blessed him with amazing friends and good family.
~~~~
“Ok, is everyone on this call? I don’t want to call anyone later.” Asked Maryanne’s oldest.
“Yes”
“Sure am, what’s the big deal?”
“Won’t we see each other tonight?”
“Ok, here is the deal – yes, we will see each other tonight but as of right now uncle Billy is at the house already – aunt Irene and her kids will be there by lunch to finish helping mom. And what are they helping her do? Get ready for us to come home. Now doesn’t that sound dumb? None of us lives that far away. We should all be able to be there before lunchtime. This is not a suggestion, this is your oldest sibling telling you to get off your ass and get your families or whatever it is you have together and get out of the house within the next half an hour.
We aren’t going to mom and dad’s to be guests. I expect each and every one of you to take care of yourselves. If you need food, cook it. If you need linen, go get it, you know where it is. There is enough for mom to do right now we don’t need to add to it.” He paused
“Ok – calm down we get it and you’re right. I can leave in an hour though I have some things to do.”
“Me too.”
“One question, you mentioned Aunt Irene and the kids what about Aunt Carry?”
“Her kids will be there – she says she can’t make it because of Irene”
“Ok, call me stupid, I know I’m the youngest but what the hell is up with them?”
“Is she the only one who doesn’t know?” asked the oldest again.
“Don’t know the whole story.”
“Me either – only bits and pieces.”
“Well I hope I can fill in some of those pieces. I don’t know all the stories – one thing is for sure, that Jackass – I mean uncle Jack - twisted her around so much and mentally abused her to the point that she believes his versions of her own past more than she believes what Dad and Irene have told her – and in some cases her own children. We know that he is where he belongs right now and hopefully will become someone else’s play toy when they find out he abused his wife. I’ve heard inside that they don’t take too kindly to women abusers, it’s only one step above child abusers.
Problem one was that at Aunt Irene’s prom her sister came as a chaperone – and one thing lead to another and somehow Aunt Carry believes that her sister went home with her date from the prom. Jack was there at the end of the prom and this is what he told her. Mom said that Irene didn’t have a date and went with friends, she got injured and Dad’s friend Theodore was there and took Irene to the hospital. Second thing had to do with Aunt Carry wanting to start her own business and in doing so put in a bid for what would have been her starting off point but in the end one of Aunt Irene’s friends underbid her – Aunt Carry blames Aunt Irene but mom says Aunt Irene has proof that this was Jack’s doing too. He didn’t want her to start her own business because then she would be out of his sight and he would lose some attention and control. He orchestrated the whole thing. And lastly, well, you know – it was the accident.”
“Wasn’t the accident his doing as well?”
“Yes, but you can’t tell her that. I think she even blames Aunt Irene for her divorce. Her own children haven’t been able to get through to her what he had done to her. She says her divorce was because he didn’t want her to be married while he was away. I asked mom if there was anything we could do to help her realize and come out of her fog and she said no. She told me that if things don’t change that she and Aunt Irene and Uncle Billy were talking about doing an intervention.”
“I think that is more than I wanted to know. But I thank you for filling us in. We’ll see you soon. Oh, hey guys don’t forget your cameras.”
“Yeah, see you soon.”
“Bye”
Maryanne’s oldest lived only minutes away from his parents, he gathered his family quickly and they were out the door. They were basically ready and were just waiting so it was easy to do. They could always go back for things if they needed to.
~~~
They knocked on the door before entering. “Grandpa!!!!!” the kids called to him immediately and were about to run to him when Billy and Maryanne came in the room and intercepted them. “We weren’t expecting you until later.” Billy said. He motioned for everyone to go straight back to the kitchen because Michael was sleeping right now.
The kids climbed immediately to the table and cookies were served. Mom took the baby in her arms and just stood there. They could tell she had been crying this morning, they can also tell she hadn’t gotten dressed yet. As if unspoken words passed between husband and wife, the two of them went straight to work. He took the baby from his mother’s arms and gave him to Uncle Billy, who proceeded to sit with the other kids and have another cookie with them giggling all the way.
His wife took his mom and said, “I have my bag here, let’s go upstairs and get you fixed up before anyone else comes by. You haven’t been to the shop in months, let me fix your hair and we’ll pick out a nice comfortable outfit for you to wear.” She led the way to the steps and Maryanne had to stop and check on Michael. He was sleeping soundly, she kissed his forehead and went upstairs with her daughter in law, the beautician.
In the kitchen Billy caught him up on all the goings on of the morning. “I’m glad I came early then, let me start in the basement because I’ll need to set up for our baby too. Does mom still have the old baby monitor?”
Billy smiled, “Basement is done man, you have to get up early here to get things started. Let’s put the kids in the room with your dad and we’ll go set up the office first then the upstairs bedrooms.” They did just that, they took out the trunk of toys and set them in front of the kids and put some classical music on, told them where they would be and not to bother grandpa too much.
Meanwhile, upstairs, the women were having a good time playing dress up. “I wish you would have let me come over earlier than this. It’s been way to long for a haircut. At least your hair is still pretty wet so we don’t have to do that. I’m going to cut it short so you have less to worry about in the coming weeks. Is that ok?”
“Low maintenance sounds good to me right now.” Maryanne was grateful for this little interlude. She knew she has neglected herself for months and yet Michael still saw his angel – he always had and probably always will. They met at a winter dance and she was wearing a winter white coat with mittens to match. His first comment to her was that if she put wings on he was sure that he would be standing in front of an angel. It hasn’t changed in all these years. He still looked at her with that same enamored look in his eyes.
When the haircut was done, they went to look for clothes. Her daughter in law was looking for something that would be comfortable and yet still look like she was put together for guests. She found a soft cotton shirt with a simple a-line skirt and maybe a sweater vest to finish it off.
~~~
Michael was left alone to think. The grandkids were playing nicely almost not even noticing him, every once in a while they would smile at him and he at them. They brought him a toy to undo or redo and then they would proceed to create their own little world. This is as it should be. The baby was resting in the bassinet next to him and all he had to do was rock it occasionally and he would stay asleep. He could do this much and it made him feel good that he was helping.
All this time alone though made him think and thinking could be dangerous. He knew Irene was coming today and not Carry. He also knew this had to change. Someone had to step up to the plate and tell Carry to open her eyes to reality and not to the thought planted into her brain. She had to re-learn her own past. But how? Who could trigger her back into what really happened without having to bring up Beaver Lake?
Michael thought of the first infraction as Carry would call it. It was prom night, wait it wasn’t Carry’s prom was it? No, she never made it to her prom because she became sick as a dog. Was laid up for days and almost missed graduation if it wasn’t for all the chicken soup Irene made her eat and everything else she tended to. Their folks were away again and since they were old enough, they had no sitter.
Oh yes, it was Irene’s prom. Irene had this great idea to give Carry a chance to be at a prom because there was a flier up on the board at school that they still needed chaperones for the prom. Clearly, she couldn’t ask her parents because they wouldn’t be caught dead at a high school function unless of course it had been moved to the club they belonged to.
Carry agreed, she thought it would be fun. She had been going out with Jack then but everyone was hoping that it would end soon. They were not engaged or anything like that so their mom insisted that she go solo. She came to pick up Irene and a couple friends. Irene was wearing those really tall heels that their mom insisted she wear. She was so insistent that she made Irene wear them around the house for a week just to get used to walking in them. Carry had made fun of her because she knew that the one thing Irene hated the most was high heels, but there was no going without them so she felt she could deal with it for one night.
When they got to the prom Irene and her friends went off to do their own thing. Carry went over to the registration and was told where she should be and how she should be doing it. Theodore was there too. He was a good friend of Michael’s and had been looking for the right place and time to ask Carry out. He had heard about her and Jack but was still holding some hope that he could have some time with her. Michael told him about the prom and he instantly signed on.
Theodore found Carry immediately and they spent the first 2 or 3 hours of the prom inseparable. That’s it!!!! The revelation Michael had been looking for. He reached to the side of his bed and found the bell Billy left him. He rang it a few times.
The boys were just finishing the back room when they heard the ring. “That’s your dad’s bell. He rings it when he needs something. It’s only one ring so it’s not important. He knows we hear him so if it’s important he will ring it 2 times in a row to show the urgency. Let’s finish setting this bed and we will go. Grab the other end and we will be done in 30 seconds.” He did as Billy instructed hoping that his children were not the source of the problem
The women heard the bell as they were cleaning themselves up to get downstairs. Maryanne looked refreshed and she had to admit a short haircut really did look good on her. She made a mental note to keep it this short later too. They grabbed their stuff and headed downstairs.
All four of them got to the living room at about the same time. “Wow, mom, great hair – you look fabulous.” Her son was grinning at her as well as his own wife for a job well done. Billy just tilted his head forward as to second the motion. Maryanne turned to her husband who sat and smiled. Michael knew he would never see her hair long again but she looked so damn good he just smiled, put out his hands and said, “My angel.”
They all walked towards him and as he grabbed her hands he began to smile even more. He looked up at Billy and his eyes wet back and forth to the two of them. “I have it.” He whispered. “Have what my man?” “Theodore” is all he said. Billy and Maryanne stared at each other. The volume of words unspoken left the children in the room a bit uneasy. “How do you guys always talk with your eyes?” they asked in unison.
Billy looked down on his friend, put his hands on top of Maryanne’s which were still being held by Michael. “I’m on it chief. It will be done within the hour.” Michael sat back in his chair and Maryanne joined him for a few minutes. Then she leaned over and kissed him ever so gently on the lips. They still tasted wonderful to her. “I have to go finish the upstairs, so many beds to make.” Before she could stand completely the front door opened and 2 of her other kids marched in.
She was not expecting anyone to be here so early but right now she was thankful that she looked good. “Wow, mom, great new look.” While they were not twins, these 2 almost always spoke in unison when looking at the same thing. They dropped their bags and came to her and their dad. Kisses were given all around.
“We’re going upstairs to make our beds ok? It’s just us today so significant others this trip.” said the first one. “None to be had” said the second one. Maryanne just sat back down, this time on the floor with the grandkids and began to play as any self-respecting grandmother would do. Michael sat and watched with delight. He glanced up at the clock on the wall. It was about 11am already, Irene would be here soon. Hopefully Carry too.
~~~
“Hello.”
“Theodore? It’s Billy, time to get off your ass and do something you should have done years ago. Michael needs this so badly he is holding his breath until it’s done. He can’t rest knowing that Carry is still upset. It’s been 3 years since the sisters have spoken. It’s go time man and I mean NOW.” Billy was never good at mincing words, he says what needs to be said in the shortest amount of time.
“I’m doing fine Billy thank you for asking. I’d love to see you, what a nice invitation you have just extended me.” Theodore loved to pull at Billy, he was so straight forward it threw him off though. Ever since Carry got the divorce from Jackass, Michael has been hounding him. Did he hear right, “3 years? Hasn’t she been divorced for that amount of time? You mean since the accident?”
“Yes, Theodore, he even twisted that around. She is in a sad state and Michael said your name to me this morning. He did not elaborate but I didn’t think he needed to. Do you?”
“Let me think about it. This isn’t easy for me you know.” Theodore was not sure he had the balls to do what Michael was asking but he sure as hell was going to try something.
“I knew you would do it – we can expect you here before dinner right? Ok, see you then.” Billy hung up not giving Theodore a chance to say what he was going to do or not do.
Theodore paced the house for some time before he sat down at his computer and began to write. This was the only way he could do it. He hoped it wouldn’t backfire.
~~~
Carry heard a knock at her door. There was a young man there holding onto an envelope. “Are you Mrs. Carry?”
“Yes, how can I help you?” He was a really fine looking young man, she was thinking her kids would like to get to know him. There was something familiar about him but she didn’t know what it was.
“I have a letter to deliver to you but I’m supposed to wait for you to read it before I leave if that’s ok.” He said this with confidence in his body language but some wavering in his voice.
“Sure, come on in.” She closed the door behind him and took the letter from his hand.
“You might want to sit down when you read this. I will stand here.”
Carry looked at him unsteadily but she made her way over to her couch and sat down before she opened the envelope.
Dear Carry,
It’s been a long time since we have spoken or seen each other. This is Theordore, your brother Michael’s friend.
Let me remind you of the last time we saw each other. It was at Irene’s prom. You and I were both chaperones. You came in wearing a mint great top with a beautifully laced skirt of chocolate brown. Your hair was done in a nice knot and had 2 oriental hair sticks coming out of it. Plus, you had on the most exquisite smelling perfume I had ever smelled. To this day I have not smelled the same thing on anyone.
The two of us spent the majority of the prom together, it was as if we were attending the prom and not as chaperones.
Carry looked up at the boy who was standing there patiently waiting for her to finish. He gave her a smile. He must know something she thought and kept on reading.
We talked for a really long time, we ate dinner together and talked and laughed some more it was as if we were meant to be together. Feeling you in my arms during a dance felt as if there was one person dancing and two souls joining in. Part of me knew that at some point in our lives we were going to be together.
As it turned out it was not that night. If you recall, your sister’s friend came running in to tell us that she had fallen and probably broke her ankle. So I had offered to take her home, hoping that you would follow but when I looked up you were in the arms of another man.
I think he name was Jack – no actually I knew it was him. He looked rather angrily at you and I wanted to go over there and punch his lights out. I did not like the way he was holding onto your arm, there was not a tender ounce in his body.
Carry found herself putting her hand on her arm and rubbing it in the exact place where Jack had grabbed her. He was quite angry that night. He was squeezing her arm so hard she wanted to break loose but he wouldn’t let her. Oh my god – he would not let her go. She walked right into life with him after that night.
I watched for a couple seconds more but at the urgency of Irene’s friend meant I had to leave so I went to her. Irene had been running to try and find you and tell you that Jack was on the prowl and was roaring in the halls looking for you and anyone who might be near you. He was ready to pounce as she put it.
It was shortly after that when I found out you were engaged to that sorry excuse for a man. I’m sorry but that’s how I felt about him then and still do. Michael told me I should still fight for you, said that I should fight for what I want. But I had told him it was obvious you didn’t want me.
Within a year of you getting married so did I. Michael told me that my wife was only after me because she wanted to have the title of Dr. and Mrs., that she was in no way in love with me as much as she was in love with my title.
I watched through Michael as you had your beautiful children. You gained some weight with each child as you are supposed to but with you Carry, you gained even more inner beauty than I thought humanly possible. With each child you became more radiant than before. I guess that is what a mother’s love will do to you.
I had longed for a family of my own but after years of trying, I still had no one but my wife. My wife kept saying there was nothing to do but wait. And wait I did – for nearly 10 years. I even went so far as to go to an OBGYN myself and get myself checked out to see if it was something I was doing or not doing that was the cause of our infertility. We discussed doing other methods but she always said, it was too expensive and I should just wait.
One day, shortly before our 10th anniversary, I surprised my wife and came home early. As I entered the house I heard her yelling on the phone so I went quietly towards the back room where she was on the phone. Suddenly, I heard her say these words, ‘what do you mean pregnant?! You told me birth control was fool proof!!!! You told me I should not be able to get pregnant on this dam pill!!! And now you are telling me that for 10 years it works then all of a sudden POOF it doesn’t!!’ That wasn’t the worst of it – the worst was when she said, ‘you need to fix this damn it – now I’m going to be tied to him forever.!!!’
Sure I knew our marriage wasn’t perfect but I never thought it was a lie. As she had slammed down the phone she had turned around and I was standing right there and I had tears in my eyes. I walked out and went straight to my home office – I sent an e-mail to my lawyer and asked him how I can force her to have the baby and then leave my house but leave me the child.
He was on it and within hours I had the injunction that I needed. She did not know what hit her. Not only did I get to keep the child but she received no alimony because she had knowingly tried to lie to me for 10 years. 10 years!!!!! Does that make me look like a complete idiot?! Well, the judge thought so until he heard all the other lies that my lawyer dug up on her.
You and I both married wrong and for the wrong reasons. I don’t know if you have ever given me a second thought or not. But I can tell you right now as you sit here and read this letter I have never stopped caring about you, I have carried a torch for you in my heart ever since I saw you sing in your high school play. Michael teased me endlessly about what a wimp I was but I was so afraid you would think I was not good enough.
Carry, I ask you this one favor – please, please remember the truth about Irene’s prom. Please remember you were with me as a chaperone not a date and that I took her home because she was injured. I was waiting with your family at the hospital for you to show up, I wanted to apologize for leaving you there with that jerk.
You may not see him that way, but I did. Look Carry, I’m going over to Michael’s today. I want so badly to see you there. Please give the messenger a quarter and he will bring it to me. This is how I will know that you will come.
I will wait for you in the back on the gazebo – you can come straight back there – when you are ready we will go see Michael together. No more games my love, I want you to be with me.
Carry started to pace the room, her thoughts were all over the place now. ‘It was not my prom? What the hell is he talking about of course it was my prom Jack told me’ …… Carry put her hand to her mouth. Her thoughts were jumbled, her head was pounding as much as her heart was. Theodore was right – Jack told me a story he said he missed me too much – he said ….it was too much to bear. All the things Jack said about that night were a lie. She started to remember them, each and every one of them. He must have told her a dozen times. He must have brought it up a hundred times more after the event to really drive the point in. Irene was in a cast for 6 weeks, she remembered.
Carry stood up and went to her purse. She owed Theodore that much. She could go and see him again. The thought has made her heart ache. She started to feel a longing she hasn’t felt in her body since……well, since Irene’s prom and her dances with Theodore. Her eyes started to tear, her cheeks started to flush. It’s as if she has just recovered a memory as if she were an amnesia patient.
She handed the boy a quarter. “Thank you so much Mrs. Carry.” But before he left he pulled out a small note from his pants pocket and handed it to her. He had a huge smile on his face as he skipped out to his car, he turned around to wave at her before he got in and pulled away smiling as well.
Carry looked down at this smaller note. She opened it.
If you are reading this, that means you are coming to see me. Most likely my son was smiling, he knows all about you and what you mean to me. He was happy to do this favor for me.
Text me when you will be close to Michael’s and I will go outside to meet you. I hope you are even half as excited to see me as I am to see you.
My number is 607……
Carry took the note and held it to her chest. She went to the couch and sat down and cried. It was Irene’s prom, she said that to herself about a dozen times before she went up to change.
~~~
Theodore’s son was smiling all the way back to his home. He went running into the house and found his dad sitting in the kitchen gazing at nothing – just staring out into space. For a moment he felt really bad for him, he had been waiting all this time to try and get the girl, now it was his chance and he was scared stiff. He walked slowly over to him and dropped the quarter on the table.
Theodore shook out of his daze when he heard the sound, first he looked up at his son who was smiling then down at the table where he saw the coin twirl and then finally fall. She sent the quarter, his breath escaped him and he could not breathe for a second. Slowly he picked up the quarter, he stood and stared at his son for a moment before the two embraced.
“She was quite taken with your letter dad, I could see it in her eyes. You were right by the way, they are gorgeous eyes. Oh, and in case you are wondering – she is still a beautiful women.” He whispered this into his dad’s ear as he clung to his son.
“Let’s pack up and go dad, she will be there and besides, you should go to see Michael. I’ll drive if you’d like.” He pulled away slightly from his dad and the two just looked at each other. He was seeing his father in a very vulnerable place but he knew he could do this, he knew he was strong and that he needed this – no deserved this. Before he left, he had him read the letter. All these years he had been questioning his lack of mother but not pushing the subject. Now he knew – he was unwanted at that time. When he read the letter he said to his father that he hoped she finally found peace and happiness with someone and he thanked him for being a great dad.
The two men were filled with new zeal, both of them saw great opportunities on the horizon if they played their cards right. Theodore was as nervous as a teenager going on a first date with his crush. His son, on the other hand, was excited to see the whole family. They hadn’t seen each other since Thanksgiving and now it was springtime. It wasn’t for lack of trying – it was just crazy schedules that wouldn’t coincide.
Theodore took a moment to send an e-mail to Billy to let him know what transpired.
~~
By lunchtime, everyone had arrived except for Carry’s kids, they were on their way though so the crowd decided to postpone eating until they got there. Now with news of Theodore and Carry showing the living room was a buzz. This was one secret Billy couldn’t keep.
“Hey, dad how come you never thought of this before? Did anyone besides the ‘adults’ in the room know about Theodore and Aunt Carry?” Maryanne’s youngest asked earnestly.
“No”
“Not me”
“Me either”
“Not to worry children, nothing has happened yet so let’s not make everyone crazy, ok? We will see what will happen but it is sounding promising that she will at least be here at some point today. I would assume not before dinnertime, or even after that.” Maryanne was too cautious to be excited. She knew whatever Theodore had to say to Carry had to have been heartfelt or she would have never moved. Playing with her heart was a risky move but she had guessed it was all he had, and he sure had plenty of time to let that grow. Poor thing.
She remembered that ‘prom’ and what it meant for Carry. Her new sister-in-law was so excited you would have thought it was her own prom. This is why Jackass had a hard time with her being there so long. She wasn’t under his spell as long as she was there, but he certainly changed that hadn’t he? This was a long time ago, at least one myth has been disproven – or so she thought, she had no idea what was in the letter but Billy had told her it contained some raw truths so she naturally assumed he talked about what had really happened at the prom.
She sat on the chair near Michael and watched as her children, their spouses, grandchildren, nieces and nephews got along. This was how family was supposed to be interacting. This was what it was all about. She saw Michael watching them too and squeezing her hand as if to say he was thinking the same thing. He was proud of his family, all of them. She looked back at him and noticed for the first time what Billy had dressed him in. Two of his best memories, his champion shirt and his beer hat, this brought a smile to her face.
Michael looked at her as she smiled at him. His eyes spoke volumes, he was still in love with her, and she him. He made a clicking noise with his tongue and she laughed out loud which was their secret signal for sex later. Honestly, just laughed out loud, everyone in the room stopped and looked at the two of them.
“Oh my god you too!” yelled Irene. She saw the look in their eyes and knew what was going on, thankfully her kids did not, well, not until she also yelled, “Get a room!” Now the whole room was roaring in laughter. To think that Michael still thought about his wife in that way made her want to call her husband right then and there. He was a dear man, one she hoped to celebrate many decades of anniversaries with.
Billy pulled on a couple of Maryanne’s sons, “Let’s go get lunch ready for this bunch.” They went willingly. Maryanne watched as they all settled back into conversation and some started to play with the grandkids. Someone should take a picture of this. *Flash* She looked up, and smiled, someone just did.
Her kids came home and were not acting like guests, they came home, made their own beds, brought their own groceries and put everything away as it should be. She did not have to take care of anything, just sit with her husband they told her. Enjoy some time off of working. This was her pamper time, she deserved it they told her. For once in her adult life, Maryanne took a sidestep from the work that had to be done in the house.
She heard the sounds of pots banging in her kitchen and did not even have the desire, nor the strength, to go and find out what they were doing. She was going to sit like a lady of leisure, as instructed. Until one of the boys came out of the kitchen with a very inquisitive look on his face. She knew they couldn’t find something. She was about to get up when he said, “Aunt Irene do you mind coming into the kitchen?”
“Did you guys forget how to boil water again?” Irene jumped at the chance to help out. She looked over at Maryanne and signaled her to sit back down, she had it all under control, one of her own children jumped up too and grabbed her mom’s arm. Irene walked into the kitchen to see everyone busy at work. They really didn’t need her or her daughter. “Billy?” she asked.
“We have this covered but we can’t find the paper goods. No one wants to do dishes for this many and we aren’t even sure there are enough. Can you find them and set up a second table in the dining room to fit everyone. It will be a simple lunch but it will be ready soon.” Irene knew this was not what he wanted to say but she went along with it. Billy knew the house like the palm of his hand. She quickly found what she needed and called to her sons to go downstairs and bring up the second table, wash it down and get started working for their lunch. No one argued. Not today, not in this house.
When the children left, Irene went to help Billy finish chopping the salad at the counter. She tried again, “Billy?” Billy laughed before he answered, “Theodore just texted me, he will be here in 5 minutes, his son is driving he is so nervous. Carry sent him a text and said she will be here in 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. He is not meeting her in the house but out in the gazebo. I wanted you to know where they will be. Keep an eye out but don’t go there. Let them have their time together, don’t rush things. It will happen, if not today than for sure by tomorrow.”
Irene felt the tears running down her face. She hadn’t seen or spoken with her sister since that fateful night. That disaster of a night, the one where he claimed she almost killed Carry’s children, when in turn it was him. He never wanted them in the first place but she was allergic to birth control. Somehow, after the last one he made sure she would not have anymore ‘accidents’ as he called them. Irene shivered at the thought of him and that night. Billy put his arms around her, he knew the truth. Everyone did, everyone except for Carry that is.
If it wasn’t for videos on telephones he might have gotten away with everything and who knows if Carry would even be alive afterwards either. Thank god Michael was called from the scene before Jackass could show up at the hospital. He had the police waiting there when he got there.
“Let’s take it slow. Theodore will bring her in when she is ready he told me. One event at a time and hopefully we will get her back.” He kissed the top of her head like any good brother would do. This was the family he never had. His family abandoned him after what happened at Beaver Lake. He held onto Irene for a moment longer and as he slowly released her from her arms, she quietly said those words no one was supposed to bring up – ever. “Beaver Lake”. The two of them stared at each other. “If need be, yes” Billy said. What he meant was he was hoping they didn’t have to go there but maybe they would, time would tell.
~~~
Theodore spoke to his son an extra minute before they got out of the car. He told him how much he wanted to do this and how much pride he had in him for helping him out. Theodore also mentioned that this was quite a sore spot in this family’s history right now and that they should not really discuss it, not just yet. He was hoping for a positive outcome, but just in case, he wanted his son to be prepared.
“Dad, you spoke from your heart, she knew that or she wouldn’t be coming. She will come for you but you’re right I don’t know if she realizes that you want to get her to talk to Irene. I love this family too, I got your back ok?” They hugged before they got out of the car. Theodore headed straight back to the gazebo as he promised and his son quietly went in through the kitchen’s sliding back door. Billy was there to greet him, so was Irene but she had been crying. He went over to give her a hug, “It’s going to work – it has to.” He whispered in her ear. Irene hugged him harder and he let her.
The bell rang and everyone rose to attention from the kitchen, they quickly went out to see what was going on. Michael’s face was a bit contorted, he was in pain. He had forgotten that Maryanne was right there and just picked up the bell and rang it with fervor. His children did not know it could be this bad, neither did any of the other children there either. They watched in silence as Billy and Maryanne went to work. Irene was there shortly afterwards. Billy turned around and said, “Now would be a good time for a video game tournament downstairs guys.” No one argued, besides they liked challenging each other, so off they went and they took the grandkids as well. In this house they became children again and for some of them it was ok.
Maryanne and Billy worked together like a well-oiled machine. They had things under control in no time. It took all their energy to get Michael to calm down this time. When he was finally calm, they could sit down. Once they did, they heard a car door close. Maryanne mustered the energy to go see who it was, she did not want uninvited people now. She quietly moved the blinds just enough to see, then with a sigh she turned around to Billy, “It’s Carry.” She plopped down on the couch and let the tears fall. This day was going to kill her emotionally. Billy was at her side in no time, with an arm around her and a shoulder to lean on. “I got your back Maryanne, not to worry. Listen to the children downstairs. You would think they were all teenagers by the commotion going on.” He was trying to pull her attention away from the elephant in the room. Michael was slipping away and they both knew it. Time was running out for his last request. His sisters had to get back together, they just had to. Billy thought to himself and sent out a wordless prayer, ‘please god help this get mended, it’s all he wants’ He gave a tug on Maryanne’s shoulder to pull her closer in to him and she obliged him. She needed it as much as he did and she knew what he was thinking.
They sat for a few more minutes and got lunch ready, who knows maybe 2 more would be joining them. Soon they will call everyone up.
~~~
Carry’s legs could barely carry her to the back. She knew what was going on inside, she knew the state her brother was in but she had to do this first. She hoped Michael would wait to see her. She saw the gazebo and she saw the back of Theodore, he was facing further into the backyard holding on to one of the pillars, looking very tall. She hadn’t remembered him being this tall. As she got closer he turned around as if he felt her because she was certainly not making any noise. She definitely did not remember him being this handsome. What had Jack said? Irene went away with that ogre from the other side of town. This was no ogre, maybe on level of prince but definitely no ogre.
Carry kept walking but she no longer felt her legs move, she carried herself up the stairs and came to a halt right in front of him. Without knowing why, she reached up and touched his cheek, got on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss on the other cheek. Theodore grabbed her and pulled her in as if his life depended on it. From the kitchen window, Irene and Billy saw this one act of affection and decided it was time to call everyone up. Things looked good to them now. Possible.
Carry spoke first, “Your son is as handsome as you are. You did a good job.” She finally was down on her feet and Theodore brought her to the bench to sit down next to him. His eyes were watery. Their first kiss was so electrifying he did not know what to do with it. “You still send chills up my spine Carry. I think you always will.” He held her hands in his. Now it was time for the hard stuff, he knew he didn’t have a lot of time so he had to do it head on.
“I’m glad you came, I hope you understand the truth of that night now.” He kept her eyes on him because he would not look away from hers. She did not look away from his either, the emotions running through their hands were quite intense, neither one of them knew quite what to do with it. “I have been mulling this over since I read your letter. I heard Irene’s words, then I heard Jack’s, then Michaels and Billy’s, the only one who had a different story was Jack. I have been kicking myself ever since to wonder how many other stories he muddled up for me. I was in a bad state with him. I, unfortunately, (she put her head down in shame) was the only one who didn’t see it. Then there was that crash and the divorce and I never saw any of this coming. I was blindsided by my own family --- but now I’m not sure. (her head was still down) You must think I’m a complete idiot for not believing my family – even my own kids. I should go, I’m not wanted here.” She began to stand but he wouldn’t let her.
Theodore put his hand under her chin and pulled her face back to him. “I can’t let you go again, not ever.” He leaned over and kissed her with such tenderness – right on the lips. Both of them had tears falling down their cheeks now. Carry was shaking – she did not know which end was up. Suddenly her whole married life was being questioned – she felt humiliation, embarrassment and a whole lot of other not flattering emotions. She could not go inside that house, they would hate her for sure. “They hate me don’t they? My family must think there is something wrong with me. I used to be the smart one. Now I’m just plain stupid I can see that now.” She began to cry, a cry that was probably long overdue. In her mind, Theodore was going to jump ship for sure, but instead he held her harder, he whispered some things in her ear but she didn’t hear anything except the sound of her own crying and his heartbeat which increased as hers did.
After a few minutes, he picked her head up as he had done before, with one hand on her chin he gently pulled her attention to his face again. He had been crying with her it seemed. Then he turned her face towards the house, her children were standing right at the foot of the steps of the gazebo. “Mom, we have something to show you. Theodore said you were ready to see and hear it. May we come up?” They looked so scared, she did not know why they had to ask permission to speak to her but she could not open her mouth she just extended a hand. The three of them slowly got up and went to sit on the other bench across from the new couple. They were holding each other’s hands for strength. This was the hardest thing they would ever do in their life.
The oldest one spoke. “We’re here to talk about the day of the crash. Please hear us out before you answer or respond.” She nodded. “That night Jackass as we like to refer to him as beat the living pulp out of you. He was so sure you had eyes for the delivery man that he chased the man out of the house with knives in his hand. When he came back to the kitchen he was laughing as how scared the ‘little wimp’ was. He turned to us and told us to get out because you and he had to have a little talk. Over the years, we knew what that meant – you were going to get beaten. We tried to stop him several times but those were the times when you ended up taking us to the hospital for a broken arm or leg. Do you remember those times at all? (she shook her head in shock not realizing what she allowed to happen to her children – in fact she kept shaking and Theodore kept holding on tighter each time.) Well that night, we knew it would be bad so we just stood there and would not move – he picked up the knives he had before and came towards us and said, ‘if you don’t move out of here soon you will leave a trail of blood. We looked over his shoulder at you in hopes you would respond but you were sitting there like a deer in headlights – so we ran out of there. We ran to the garage to call Uncle Michael. He knew it would take him an hour to get there so he called Aunt Irene to get there first. She always came first mom, you have to remember that.”
The others chimed in on that one in an echo, “always, it was Irene who took you to the hospital.” Carry’s memories began to slowly come to the foreground of her mind. With each time Irene showed up she was more and more incoherent. When she got there this time she remembered Irene screaming to her kids to call an ambulance, she remembered that she said she could not take her for fear of making things worse. Oh my!!!! What had he done to her?!! “And where was he?” Carry asked out loud without realizing it.
“He had gone downstairs to his den to play video games like he always did. You were practically unconscious. When the ambulance and police arrived they went to find him and brought him upstairs. He had placed you at the bottom of the stairs with a basket of various items scattered around you. This way, when he saw you he could react as if you had fallen down the stairs carrying those things. This is what he would have reminded you of if the events didn’t change that night.
We were dumbfounded and couldn’t believe the extent to which he went to cover up what he had done. The police officer, based on visuals, could not do anything to him but knew something was amiss. Especially when Irene said to them just to take care of her quickly and that Uncle Michael would be meeting them at the hospital because he lives the closest. Your husband just left to go make himself a drink. The officer took one look at us and told us it might be a good idea to leave tonight. His gut was telling him the truth.
We went upstairs to pack but we didn’t want him to know so Irene went into the kitchen to have a drink with him. It was the bravest thing she could have done, keeping him occupied while we packed. We had snuck outside and were holding our suitcases, we were almost to the car when we heard him yelling like a madman. He was coming after us with knives. Apparently he had gone upstairs to find us and saw our drawers all a mess. He came barreling down the stairs and grabbed the knives that were out on the counter plus some.
Mom, he did not intend for any of us to be here the next day. It was easy to tell because he must have gone upstairs with the knives in hand. Irene ran to open the car and we all threw our stuff to the ground and got in the car. Our lives were at stake do you understand what I’m telling you? You look like you are in shock, well hold on to your hat because it gets worse – show her the video.”
He had pointed to his youngest sister. She had videoed the whole night on her phone – gave a copy to the police but kept it on her phone all these years to make sure that one day Carry saw it. Thankfully she took very good care of her phone. She found the video of him chasing them with the knives, Carry heard a scream and then she turned to her middle son and he showed her the scar from where the knife had gone into him. Her husband was going to kill his own kids. Her heart could not take anymore. He said Irene was caught drunk driving and crashed with their kids in the car.
“Mom, there are no words of introduction to the next part. Just watch.” In the next video she heard Irene saying things like, ‘I’m not sure I can outrun his truck, my car doesn’t have great pick up.’ And then ‘holy crap he is trying to run us off the road!’ she looked again at the video in front of her, her husband’s face was that of a madman, he was purposely running his truck to the side to get them to go off the road and every time they almost did, he laughed. One of the kids rolled down the window to hear what he had to say because they were recording it. ‘Hey bitch! Who’s the man now? Don’t you wish you could have some of this? Maybe when I’m done with your sister tonight you can comfort me in my mourning!’ It was clear as day now. Carry had to run to the side of the gazebo because she had to puke. When she finished, one of her kids happened to have a cup of water and she very unsteadily took it but she was shaking too much. Theodore held the cup and gave her a drink from it. The video continued on to show the final results – at one point he just pushed her car off, literally. Then he slowed down and called out the window – ‘going to go tell Carry how her drunken sister crashed with her kids’ his laughter was something that came from a horror movie villain.
In the car Irene called Michael and told him they recorded everything – told him to ask for officer Trumpkin because he was the one at the house and will back things up. She screamed at Michael to not even let Jackass in the room with Carry. Michael was in the hospital with her, she remembered that much. He was holding her hand the whole night and into the next day. Maryanne was there too and so was Uncle Billy.
She quickly looked up at Theodore, “You were there weren’t you? You stayed at the hospital for two nights, it wasn’t Michael.” She did not know she had any more tears left, but apparently she did. Theodore nodded. He had known that she was too out of it to notice who was there which is why Michael had called him. Michael was taking care of all the legal stuff – making sure Jackass would never leave jail – making sure he was being held without bail- trying to make sure someone would ‘take care of him’ while in there too.
“Michael asked me to, he had business to attend to.” He didn’t want to make things worse. Carry looked at her kids. “Why didn’t you tell me?” all they could do was look at her in total shock and in unison but not on purpose they said, “You wouldn’t listen”. The youngest continued this time, “When you were conscious enough to know that your husband was in jail you went to him first. You spoke to him before you did us and he gave you the version of the story he wanted you to hear, and as always you listened because he probably gave you some lame excuse for beating you up again. Which you believed…….again. No one could make you see any other side. In fact you even started to not believe Uncle Michael about what happened and were fighting the divorce but the judge realized that you were not in the right frame of mind and that he granted it immediately. Apparently this is not usually the case but we had so much evidence against that jerk that he was going to jail for attempted murder anyway. We had assumed we would have been able to convince you to divorce him anyway, but from the looks of how things have been these past 3 years we are not so sure. I’m sorry mom, you were in love at one point with him or maybe he just had you convinced you were – either way we are thankful to have you and each other so at least something good came out of that marriage right?”
Carry had no words left in her – what had she done? Had she really lived a life of an abused wife for all those years? Can a person really be so manipulated by another that they forget their own past? What kind of person does that make her, she wanted to run from there, she wanted to get away from all of this because right now she hated herself and wanted it all to end. She stood up and her kids blocked the exit and Theodore was right behind her. “Mom,” said her oldest “we forgive you – it was not your fault. We have all been through some counseling when this event first happened. Aunt Irene brought us and it helped a lot. Now you have to forgive yourself. We will stand behind you, go with you, whatever you need just ple…plea…please come back to us, your family.” He barely got the words out because he was choking, so were his siblings. They just stood there as a united front, a family she had pushed away because of the words and torment of one man. Now as she stumbled backwards she was caught in the arms of another and for some strange reason – this felt ok. She let him hug her from behind, his head resting on her shoulder and he whispered, “We will do this together because as I promised, I won’t let you go again.” Then he gave her a subtle kiss on her neck and she closed her eyes. She stood there for some time, could have been hours or seconds, she could not tell.
Someone cleared their throat but she did not see who, so she opened her eyes, her children slowly parted and standing behind them was Irene. Irene, her sister, Irene her savior, Irene her youngest sister who always had her back and not to stab it, how could she have been so blinded. Anger now poured through her as Irene slowly came up the stairs to stand in front of her.
“There are no words.” Was all Carry could say before she became a bundle of mush in her sister’s arms. The kids joined in on this group hug and so did Theodore. He wasn’t going anywhere and they couldn’t be happier for both of them. The next voice they heard was Uncle Billy’s “How come I always miss out on all the good times?” The kids parted and gave him a giant bear hug as well, which was easily returned. Then they took this as a cue to go back inside now. Things were going to change for the better now, they all knew it. They started to argue over who was going to tell Theodore’s son that he would most likely be part of the family soon.
Billy and Theodore sat down on the bench and watched as the sisters were talking to each other through tears and laughter. Billy put his arm around Theodore’s shoulders as they watched the reconciliation of a lifetime transpire before their eyes. This was cleansing for both of them and heartwarming for the men. It was hard not to cry when they did or laugh with them, the girls hardly noticed them being there. Sooner than later they would have to take the two of them back to the house. Michael needed them.
~~~~
As Carry’s children came scrambling into the house, everyone’s heart skipped a beat until they all started rambling at once about what had happened outside. Then without warning, they each started to cry, it was a cry that was a long time coming. There were so many people there that each one of them was currently being held by at least 3 other people.
Maryanne looked down at her husband, she was sure he heard every word and by the tear running down his face, she was confident that he heard. She wiped it away with a tear kiss. She knew now it would probably be her last one. This is what he was waiting for. There is closure in his life, there is peace in his house again.
She watched all the cousins give encouragement to each other and then things were interrupted by a wail from one of the grandkids, “I have to peeeeee!!!!” Her oldest son jumped over the couch to grab his daughter and run her to the bathroom in time. Everyone sat down and laughed – it was the kind of laugh that brought everyone to tears – but this time it was tears of joy.
With all the laughter going on – no one heard the back door open. Irene and Billy were the first to enter the room, they were holding hands. Irene needed the strength of Billy to keep her from losing it again. She had her sister back that was all that mattered. They were going to get through all of this as a family which made it all seem a little bit easier even though the next family event won’t be their favorite. She stood and looked over at her brother Michael – it was time. She could tell, she could feel it and when Maryanne looked at her she could see it in her eyes.
Carry walked in slowly with Theodore, she could barely walk after the emotional rollercoaster she had been put on this past hour. The two of them walked over to where Michael and Maryanne were. She kissed her brother’s forehead and then Maryanne. She mouthed, “I’m sorry” because she had no voice left. Maryanne stood and took her into her arms. They heard the softest of grumble from Michael. Carry took his hand, Theodore hers, Maryanne was next to Billy who was next to Irene. Finally, Irene reached over her brother and took Carry’s hand that Theodore willingly dropped, he held onto her by putting his arm around her waist, as did Billy to Irene. The circle was complete.
As they stood there looking at each other, the tears began to fall. Each and every one of them knew what time it was. The children in the room had taken some pictures because this was a moment not to be believed just a few hours ago. The room grew very quiet, they stood there watching Michael’s breathing get slower and slower. He squeezed both of his sister’s hands, tapped his foot to touch his wife and took his last breath. They all knew he was gone when collectively they felt a breeze brush over them. Each one would describe it separately as being kissed gently on the cheek.
Michael was gone, but he was at peace and now together the sister’s would be able to cope with the new grief. Thankfully the only one they had between them.






© Copyright 2013 Al (mjath at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961414-Maryannes-Reflection