*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961476-Jaunt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1961476
Be careful out there.
         Sarah needs me.

         I can’t feel my legs, but I’m getting out of here. I have to.

         I see her, outside, dancing in the fading light.

         Sarah is five. I mean she will be tomorrow. She’s so beautiful when she laughs. She’s playing with a stick twice her size right now and giggling in that way that only she can. If only her mother could see her. She’d hate seeing her playing with a stick. Too many germs she’d say.

         I think Julie’s dead. I can’t turn my head much, but there’s a lot of blood on the dash, and other … things. I fell in love with her when I was twelve. I never told her that.

         There was a deer. I couldn’t stop, so I swerved and…

         Now we’re here. And Sarah needs me.

         I can’t speak, I tried yelling earlier but I couldn’t even move my lips. I’m getting cold, and I’m so tired.

         She’s never even looked over here. She must have climbed out of the back window or something. I just want to get her home. She needs her medicine soon. She can’t be here.

         I thought I could feel my toes earlier, but now there’s nothing. The pain in my arm is beginning to fade, I can feel myself slipping, and I’m so scared for her.

         Sarah is staring at me. She’s smiling with her big green eyes and she’s so happy. I want to reach out and hug her; I want to tell her that everything will be better soon, I want to tell her that I’ll be there whenever she needs me.

         I’m getting out of here.

         I strain; I struggle with every bit of energy I have left but there’s nothing I can move now. Even my eyelids are getting harder to keep open. I try holding her stare with all of my failing will.

         I see Julie with her now. She’s sitting beside her, smiling weakly at me.

         I hear the sirens.

         I don’t want to hear them. I don’t want them to find me.

         I can’t let them find me. Not now.

         Sarah blows a kiss at me, and Julie whispers goodbye.

         I hear voices coming.

         God help me, I’m getting out of here.
© Copyright 2013 Orion69 (ptolliver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1961476-Jaunt