*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1962815-A-Study-In-Vermilion-DAILY-FLASH-1114
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by JimS
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1962815
For the Daily Flash contest 11/14
A Study In Vermilion

         One day in the city of Raleigh two friendly strangers would meet under odd circumstances.  The pretense which brought them together was a mysterious graffiti artist painting various things on Fayetteville street a particular shade of red.
Both men drove up and down the street attempting to find a parking space.  The two met at one particularly tight space which neither dared attempt.  After minutes of staring at one another it was clear no progress would be made and Mr. Poplan pulled his car next to Dr. Neen.
         “Good afternoon.  It seems neither of us are willing to attempt to take this space.  Shall we make a wager?  Winner buys lunch?.”  Mr. Poplan prodded.
         “What’s that?  I have no time for wagers.  I’m here to investigate the incidents occurring on this very street.”  Dr. Neen said with a huff.
         Mr. Poplan laughed cheerfully and smiled.
         “How about this?  I believe I can park your car, it’s smaller than mine after all.  Shall we trade places for the task?”
         “Well, I do have rather important business and you seem like a proper enough gentleman.”
         “Too true, and your outfit suggests a trustworthy fellow.”
         The two stepped out, shook hands and exchanged vehicles.  Mr. Poplan shifted into reverse and executed a perfect parallel park then Mr. Poplan drove next to the parked car.
Dr. Neen came out smiling.
         “Very well!  You have saved me much time.”
         “A good deed is a good deed, dear fellow.”
         Mr. Poplan drove off and Dr. Neen opened his passenger side door to fetch his briefcase, but was shocked to find the interior of his car had been painted red.  Dr. Neen stomped furiously on the street as Mr. Poplan drove by honking and waving happily.
         "You're going to regret this”  Dr. Neen yelled angrily.

298 words Daily Flash 11/14/13
© Copyright 2013 JimS (jims at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1962815-A-Study-In-Vermilion-DAILY-FLASH-1114