*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1962829-Open
Rated: E · Essay · Contest · #1962829
College application essay
UW Essay #2
by: Andrew Mottet
University of Washington

The club of Men who Eat Animals Together, also known as MEAT club. If you, dear reader, are making the common assumption that meat club is just a bunch of dudes who grill steaks, lob a football around, and argue about sports, then you're right on target. For me, meat club is a haven in which I can spend time with friends on the football team, fellow athletes, and all those who appreciate meat. The members of meat club are passionate, clever, and are true friends.
         Veins bulging          from foreheads, angry spittle shooting through the air, and harsh, properly articulated, and politically correct words stinging the ears. Each year the young democrats and young republicans sharpen their facts, hone their opinions, and prepare their witty rebuttals for the annual political debate. It's a brutal mix between civilized thought and war. I love it. As a proud member of both clubs, young republicans and young democrats, I make sure to never miss a club meeting or debate. While I mainly align myself to one party, I am a member of both due to the community of the politically aware youth. The political clubs are a time when I may speak and debate intelligently in a world of shallow social interactions contained to 140 characters. I have partnered with the politically active students to gain insight to the world around me. The young politicians are real friends, or enemies depending on the subject, fiercely passionate about their work, and are wise beyond their years.
         There are other things in the world than politics and grilling meat, including other worlds. Freshman year my sister introduced me to the world of magic cards. A game of intense strategy, horrible monsters, and alternate realities. I was hooked right away. When my sister went to college I had to find new players to duel. I stumbled upon the table-top gaming club and the secretive society that coincided with it. The members were new to me, but through many duels I became part of the table-top community. The members and I have become good friends and have proved to be very committed, loyal, and witty people.
         I see the members of meat club, young democrats, young republicans, and table-top club every day at school. I almost never see a member of one club talking to a member of another. All the members have passion, intellect, and loyalty, so what barrier separates them? I believe the biggest barrier between them is their preconceived idea that they're different. People are similar. Preconceived barriers have separated people from the dawn of time to the present. The key to overcoming false barriers is keeping an open mind. I am open to new ideas, cultures, and people. Too few people are open to the new. My goal is to help spread an open attitude because at the core we're all human.




© Copyright 2013 Lemony Snicket (mug1995 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1962829-Open