*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/196464-Hanging-Ghost
by Kings
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Ghost · #196464
The hanging ghost on the old haunted tree.

Hanging Ghost

In a little country town around the year nineteen hundred, a legend was told by the towns Elders. Near a very big tree that stood on the side of the old road. Down below the big tree was the railroad tracks.
Near that big tree there was a cold spot on the road. The horses would sense this and refuse to pass. They would stop to buck up they sensed something they did not like. If you were in a wagon or on their backs you would have to lead them around the spot to get them to pass.

The legend, was the big tree was once used as a hanging tree, in the eighteen hundreds. This would certainly explain the horses reactions. My dad told me this legend several times and I had no reason not to believe him. I never knew my dad to lie about anything.


The Night Ghost

In this same little town around the nineteen hundreds, another legend was born. The residents started talking about being followed at night. They said they could hear foot steps behind them. Although this Ghost was never seen they knew when he was near by they could feel his eerie presence.

One night my great Uncle, was walking back to his home when he heard foot steps, behind him. He walked on for a moment or two then the fright took over and he began to run home. When he reached the safety of his home he immediately locked the door. Just as he locked the dead bolt latch the door knob turned. He waited for a while and looked out the window to see if he the ghost had left. When my uncle looked out the window he didn't see anything, standing on the front porch.

It has been years since I've been back to that town. I don't know if the big tree is still standing or not. Or whether the cold spot is still on that old roadside.
This story was based on fact.

BY: Kings

© Copyright 2001 Kings (tazzy1228 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/196464-Hanging-Ghost