*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964867-PLC-Programming
Rated: E · Other · Computers · #1964867
An exposition on what PLC programming is about and how it should be practiced.






What is PLC



A PLC means Programmable Logic Controller and it refers to a mini computer complete with an (OS) operating sytem that is in-built. PLCs have input lines that are interconnected with sensors to detect and respond when certain events occur above a predetermined level and are, therefore, able to effect a reaction to the supposed event (possibly do a shut down or start off a device or an engine).



All PLCs are programmable by the system user and are activated by a protocol known as the "Relay Ladder' So what exactly becomes the best place to learn PLC programming if a proper understanding must be forged?





Learning approach

The program approach to best teach PLC programming is to take it as if the recipients are maintenance technicians and not to present it as though the audience are all programmers. Manufacturing facilities are more often than not connected to PLCs which when online becomes easy to assess the execution of the code in graphics and visualize what goes wrong.



This presents a better option to learn PLCs as all the events playing out, can be tracked. In an illustration,if an electical output fails, it becomes the rule to input the devices ID into the selection bytes of the software that runs the program, locate the output coil and track back to isolate the failing functions. It is a common failing for programmers of PLCs to juxtapose input/output into conduits that have presets,using a copy instruction to transfer all inputs and outputs into the conduits at the same time



This without been systematic is not a foible using the standpoint of a programmer but loook insane from the maintenance geek's perspective. A programming software will provide a go -along feature that makes it possible to indicate the output coil making it possible to track wherever in the program that it has been used. Using copy instructions to isolate twenty words of I/O into a data structure of twenty words,then a sit -in will be needed to reckon the bytes and pinpoint which part in the copy source connects to the bit on the copied destination side.



It is true that comments can be vital however in an emergency, PLs having stored the entire program gives you access but now there wont be duplicate of the original . When it becomes needed to troubleshoot ,you are down with the realization that the comments are not stored. The back-up specialist who comes in such times, will rerun his set of instructions from the low run database and geta hefty bill off the organisation.This reality has to be taken into consideration whenever a database is been run at inception.



Other ready tips



-Never use loops for PLCS as it becomes intractable in emergencies just as above.It gives the same result as trying to push your way through dark.



-It is better to use Arrays or indirect addressing for recipe control although maintenance geeks find it difficult to be tracked. Their use should be restricted when delving into the program control.



-The best way out is to use identifiable routines for every file so that when a situation arises, it will be practical to associate what goes wrong with the associated variable for the indicated file instead of accommodating a downtime when no clue exists as to the faulty line using the scenario previously pointed out above.



This suffices that recommended way to best place to learn PLC programming is at the maintenance function.
© Copyright 2013 Ugbekpe Gb (hebbie2010 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964867-PLC-Programming