*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965111-Fondest-childhood-memory
Rated: 18+ · Assignment · Other · #1965111
A quick freewrite based on a classmates prompt in adv comp
Fondest childhood memory
where the hell do they get this stuff? Do they flip open a copy of chicken soup for the soul? A beautiful moment, fondest memory. What is this shit?

I remember arguing. I remember moving. I remember adjusting to the fucking language. I remember shuffling from relative to relative, none of them happy to have us. I remember dad always being gone.

I remember, when I still small enough to fit in his arms, going through his shirt pockets after work. He would tease that I wasn't happy to see him, just what was in his shirt. I wish I still fit in his arms now.

I remember a life I never really got the chance to live. I remember birthday parties and jungle gyms, mom brining in cakes to my 2nd grade class room. I remember my sister being born. Like no, really, I actually remember it. My grandmother stood behind me with her hand on my shoulder.

I remember reading. That's why I don't have any fond childhood memories- nothing I remember fondly actually happened to me. I remember the night I cut through the construction lot with Jake and Marco and everyone, the night we got our powers. I remember the family camping trip where my stupid twin brothers got lost and we got tagged in a game of beasts from the east. I remember solving mysteries with Coco and YumYum or Kit or maybe that was dad's cat from when he was a boy. I remember Uncle Merriman and how strangely Barney acted that day in the attic. I remember the day Diane finally met her father (I was just as shocked as he was to discover he was a badger god). I remember finding Earthsea to be a distinctly inhospitable place. I remember watching the first Threads fall, and the first dragons go between.

So the day I grew up must have been the day I started to tell my own story. Like awkward adolescent kisses, my first plot was little better than Star Wars revisited. But it was mine. 50 pages of mine.
© Copyright 2013 Raevenly (raevenlywrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965111-Fondest-childhood-memory