*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965611-Getting-Into-The-Vault
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1965611
The temple was thousands of years old, but somehow the "Book of Worship" was about them.


"What could they have worshiped in this massive temple?" Robert quietly mouthed.

"Well, that's what we're here to figure out," Nicole whispered.

Their voices didn't echo.  Over the centuries, the surrounding jungle had worked its way inside the stone structure, muffling sounds.  So, it probably wasn't necessary to whisper, but it seemed the right thing to do.

Motioning Nicole to follow, Robert moved toward an altar that loomed above the otherwise empty floor space.  Apparently a sacrificial altar.  Even the passage of many years hadn't worn away the blood stains.

A large book, bound in a heavy metal, rested on the altar.  Nicole, the language specialist, stepped up.

"Well..." she said.  "This line at the top translates as 'Book of Worship'.  The middle line as 'Locked to all but Xam and Malala'.  The third line, 'Speak your names and enter the vault"

"The vault!"  Robert exclaimed.  "I'll go first, Xam."

"I don't know," said Nicole.  "Look at those stains."

"Oh come on, those are from long ago," smiling as he hugged her.

"Well, all right.  My name is Malala."

They tried twice, but nothing.

Suddenly, Nicole said, "wait, the names have changed to Robert and Nicole."

"Have you been drinking?" was Robert's response.  "Something thousands of years old with our names on it?"

"But that's what's there," Nicole said.

"All right, let's try it," he said.  "Robert."

"Nicole."

With loud scraping, the rear wall started to part.  Robert stared, but Nicole was still looking at the book.

"Robert, the names are back to Xam and Malala," Nicole shouted. 

As the vault opened, heavily robed and masked creatures stepped out, moving to surround them.

"Xam and Malala were the first to be sent to our master," said the leader.  "And now you, Robert and Nicole, can join him."

© Copyright 2013 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965611-Getting-Into-The-Vault