*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966703-The-Package
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1966703
A writing activity I carried out.
The Package


Seth sat back in his arm chair, he had been searching a long time for the last bit of information. This time it felt different, he had travelled many days to arrive at his destination, a small country estate owned by his family set in well tended gardens.

The last book had been hard work full of the rantings of a madman with no hope of the clues he needed. Seth had nearly thrown the thing on the fire on more than one occasion. Something had stayed his hand, he could not explain it but he just could not loose the book. The last time he had actually been standing infront of the fireplace sweat beading on his face, his arm drawn back behind him to throw the book to the back of the fire. Seth just could not do it, why?

He pushed the book across the polished desk top; standing up he walked around the desk, his boots making no sound on the plush red carpet. This room had a special atmosphere to it, the wood and leather panelling around the walls giving it a warm feeling. The only breaks in the panelling were one large window, a floor length mirror and the fireplace. Brass door knobs were the only indication that exits were present.

Seth stared at the middle aged man in the mirror. Was it really him? The years had not been unkind; his face held a healthy tan. His hair nearly waist length was tied back into a pony tail, with the odd grey hair mingling with the mousy brown of his youth. A small goatee finished him off. Although plain, his clothes were of a high quality cut to allow free movement should he need to defend himself. Seth looked at himself once more his shoulders still broad from his weapons training. He was fully aware that people thought him arrogant the way he carried himself, his demenour, he was not arrogant just confident in his abilities both as a thinking man and as a warrior. Seth smiled at himself that confident demenour had led to some interesting encounters as a youth.

ˊHere is the item you have been waiting for, my lord.ˊ Goodwin trhe familyˊs oldest and most trusted servant said as he entered the room.

ˊPut it on the desk and leave me please, should i have need of you i will call.ˊ

ˊYes my lord.ˊ After placing the item on the desk goodwin backed out of the room.

Seth looked at the parcel the hairs on his neck stood up as if charged with energy. The parcel was nondescript, wrapped in plain hessian, such as the peasants used to make sacks. Yet he knew this was the one, he could feel it, taste it, his whole body was alive with emotion. Seth waited until Goodwinˊs footsteps faded from earshot and he virtually leapt over the desk in his haste to get to the parcel, his fingers tore at the plain cord binding the parcel, nails breaking in the ensuing battle, at last the book spilled out of the bindings and slid to a stop on the desk top. Seth reached out with trembling hands, his chest heaving in anticipation, there was the symbol, this was the book - he would learn the secret in a few minutes. He sat composing himself, his mind flitting from thought to thought- he felt like a small lad on mid winters eve waiting for his presents. He reached for the leather bound book and gingerly turned the pages, yes it was all he needed, and more, Seth looked up and through the window as he gazed over his estate a smile spread across his face.
© Copyright 2013 bellowsface (bellowsface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966703-The-Package