*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967101-How-My-Fathers-Alzheimers-Impacted-Me
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1967101
Alzheimers impacts the individual and family members. profoundly.




My Father was a wonderful man. He managed to add a positive twist to just about everything.  He painted beautiful watercolors Dad's memory was remarkable!



As Dad's disease progressed he had to be reminded of basic things; when to take his pills, when to eat,when to shower.

My Mother and I had to attend to his needs twenty-four seven. We both were very tired!  Our friends and neighbors. helped. They watched him so we could run errands.  Caregivers have to be dedicated.  We both were. sleep. deprived. 

One day late in my Father's Alzheimer's journey Dad was having an evaluatation the hospital.  A high-school sweet heart was the attending physician.  Steve offered to observe him. Dad remembered him! Sometimes an individual afflicted with. memory disorder can have sudden moments of clarity.  I was very astonished! I needed to remind myself;  that his memory loss was not reversible.



Once when I needed to give Dad a shower he decided I was an intruder.  Fortunately my son was home. He gave Dad his showers after that incident.  It is painful to see a love one lose his abilities.  I felt helpless and depressed.  Looking back I am amazed at how well our family coped with his disease.



My Father's battle with Alzheimer's taught me many things.  I learned to be more tolerate of people with memory issues.  That life is a precious gift. To savor each moment.

I was blessed to have my Dad as long as I did. He taught me many good values

I thank God for his love and influence everyday!

© Copyright 2013 express (janicepistek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967101-How-My-Fathers-Alzheimers-Impacted-Me