*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967717-Little-Favour
Rated: E · Novella · Action/Adventure · #1967717
A Full Length Story of Wallace (ex-soldier) BASED ON LF Benedict Cumberbatch Short Film
Wallace Stepped outside the gates of RRU. He could feel the breath of fresh air filling his lungs, and the chilly London breeze blowing past his hair, but nothing compared to the fact that he was now free. For the first time in months, he is finally able to just pick a place and leave. This thought almost made him smile, but the dawning realisation that freedom is pointless when you have nowhere, and no-one to go to, hit him again.

His bag in one hand, and a jacket in the other he wandered for what felt like forever. Finally in the darkest, and deepest of corners, he found a dull, narrow motel room and called it home. Although the place looked perfect for a life under cover, something about it felt dissatisfying. It was better than nothing, anyway. And Wallace had no other option. He threw his only bag, and let it bounce onto the cold bed. Then walked to turn the blinds down. The sun was setting in the sky but there was still enough time to make it to his new job. So he quickly headed towards the closest station.

The whole ride to the construction site, Wallace thought about how he ended up on this particular train in this very night. Fight scenes, and blood came flashing back through his memory. He thought of the good people who died right before his eyes when he could do nothing to save them, but mostly, he thought of the man who saved his life. That was the real reason he was here tonight. If not for  James, the funny American whom he underestimated, Wallace would have been long gone by now. Thoughts of guns, and fire made his nerves shake again. People on the train were starting to notice his trembling limbs, so he brushed off the unwanted memories just in time to notice a young girl pulling at his sleeve.

‘Excuse me Mister…’ She spoke in a slivery voice.

‘Uh, me?’ He asked pointing a finger to himself.

‘My- balloon, It got stuck with the luggage up high. can you-‘

He impulsively stood up, and reached for the girls Balloon. ‘Here you go.’

The look on her face showed more surprise that pleasure. It made him nervous. He never knew how to act around kids, and he realised that maybe he should have let her finish her sentence before cutting her off like that. But the girl recovered quickly and came back to bother him.

‘ Is it okay if I sit next to you?’ She asked.

He nodded and quickly turned his head away hoping to break contact with her, but she wouldn’t get a clue. ‘what’s your name? My name is Rose’ She smiled softly.

The experience of pure innocence was something Wallace’s life lacked. His eyes scanned the little bundle of warmth and her balloon.

‘Wallace. Umm..I’m Wallace.’ He spoke uneasily.

‘you look Scared. Are you scared Mister Wallace?’

Before he could figure out how to answer the microphone crackled announcing the next stop was his desired destination. Filled with relief he grabbed his jacket and headed for the door looking back at the kid who waved cheerfully thanking him for his help.

‘CAUTION. DO NOT CROSS. BUILDING UNDER CONSTRUCTION’

Signs, and banner tapes surrounding the place told Wallace that he was indeed at the right location. He lifted the tape and tugged beneath it. A security officer met him right away and showed him in the direction of Mister Jeff Brooke the Supervisor of this project.

Mister Brooke was a little old man. His eyes caved in his skull and his voice low and strained.

‘You must be Wallace, the manual labour guy.’ Brooke extended his calloused hand for Wallace to shake.

‘Yes Sir.’ Wallace responded taking the man in a firm hand shake.

‘I gotta say son, you’re too handsome for our work.’ The old man joked, but Wallace felt the need to  awkwardly take his Jacket off, revealing his built muscular arms he half smiled.

‘is a military body good enough for your work, sir?’ Wallace asked.

‘What brings you to us Wallace?’ The old man wondered.



Wallace shrugged his shoulders. ‘Money.’ He spoke almost whispering.

‘Well, we’re wrapping up for the day, but here’s your schedule. Come in tomorrow and we’ll get you started.’

CHAPTER 2:

It was the last day of Wallace’s first week at work, and Mister Jeff Brooke has been watching him closely all week. Brooke noticed that while Wallace was probably the most energetic worker he’s ever worked with, he was a lonely person. He only spoke to people when he had to, and spent all his lunch breaks in an empty corner, occasionally in the company of a novel, or a book.

‘Friendship? N-not really my area.’ Wallace justified when Jeff asked him for an explanation.

‘Not your area? what is your  area then? Come on-‘

‘I don’t have one!’ Wallace interrupted almost raising his voice, before he realised his unreasonably irritated attitude was rude. ‘Sorry, I… uh, I should get back to work.’ He attempted to excuse himself but the old man caught his muscular arm in a fist.

‘Why don’t you take a seat ,Wallace?’ He pushed Wallace back to his seat with a surprisingly considerable strength. ‘Listen to me son, I don’t know what it is, but there is something about you that tells me you're a better man than you give yourself credit for. Let yourself go! Try to have some fun!’ The man was gesturing to start a lecture that Wallace had heard a billion times before. It wasn’t going to make any difference to him. It never will.

‘Fun?’ Wallace guffawed.

‘Yes Wallace, have some fun! What’s wrong with that?’

‘I’m sorry Sir, but the feeling of joy is not something I can operate with-‘

‘Oh shut up! Do you hear yourself young man? Operate with? You do not operate with feelings, Wallace, you just don’t!’ Jeff Brooke frowned furiously at the ex-soldier in front of him. He was taken aback by Wallace’s robot-like behaviours and responses, but he was taking none of it. ‘I’m not sure why you left the army, or why you came here. But one thing’s for sure.’ The man spoke in a slightly calmer manner now. ‘There is misery in your eyes, Wallace. And it’s not gonna go away unless you find yourself a friend, or hobby or a pet.’

‘ I suppose not, Sir’ Wallace whispered not having the guts to look his supervisor in the eyes.

‘Quit calling me Sir, and get up! Come on, follow me.’ Mister Brooke motioned for Wallace and headed towards the crowded group of workers eagerly munching on their lunch sandwiches. Wallace followed, stumbling in his path, unsure whether or not to carry on with his walk, but it was too late. there was no going back now.

‘Hello everyone! This is Wallace.’ The old man spoke to a group of young men from the working crew. ‘Make him feel welcomed.’ Jeff Brooke patted Wallace’s shoulder. The situation in which he found himself brought Wallace back to nostalgic memories of his school days, when his teachers would always push him into being ‘part of the group’ or ‘one of the boys’ as they used to call it. Wallace never liked it, and he certainly didn’t like this either. But he played along  nonetheless for Old Jeff’s sake. He smiled at the crowd, and back at Jeff who was now walking away, confident that Wallace had taken a seat in the middle of the group, and would hopefully make a friend or two by the end of this lunch break.

‘So pretty boy! What brings you to us?’ Asked one of the workers while gulping down a can of non-alcoholic beer.

‘Uh, well, need some cash, I guess’ Wallace spoke nervously unsure whether he’d sound too friendly, or perhaps not friendly enough. He hadn’t done this before. This friend-making business wasn’t his thing.

‘And, where were you before?’ Another guy asked.

‘Umm, military.’ Wallace said.

‘Oh, explains the brawny arms, and the fancy shoes.’ Laughed the guy next to him nudge Wallace’s hip.

Wallace wasn’t sure if that was a friendly gesture but he felt uncomfortable. Faking a smile he took a step away.

‘You call that brawny?’ Some guy called out in between sandwich bites. ‘ Tell ya’ what? I’ll bet you fifty quid I can beat this guy at arm wrestling.’ He said his mouth full.

Wallace twitched his lip, and raised his eyebrows giving the man a challenging look.

‘What? You think I can’t do it? You think I’m not strong enough for you soldier boy?’ The man was alarmed by the look on Wallace’s face.

‘I… didn’t say that, but now that you’re asking, yes. Yes I don’t think you're strong enough for me. Obviously.’

Both men sprung to their feet and took each other’s palms. heading for the nearest table they rose to the challenge at once.
Everyone -including Old Mister Jeff Brooke- gathered around in circles cheering for their co-workers that show-off worker clearly stood no chance against Wallace, his lean arm was shaking tired moments after he’d tried pushing against the ex-soldier against him, and he soon lost the battle.

Wallace tried to let him down easy, pretending it was a bit difficult for a moment, but he couldn’t hide the look of pride on his face once he’d proved himself in front of the entire work crew. The place went dead silent for a few seconds, everyone’s jaws dropped with surprise. But the silence suddenly broke into cries of attack on Wallace.

‘What the hell, mate! You nearly broke is arm!’

‘Easy there monster no need to pull out his bones!’

they were all yelling, and the poor defeated worker jumped up pushing at Wallace yelling in absolute rage. Wallace’s disappointment and anger got the best of him and he soon found himself knocking men to the ground.

‘Wallace stop! Back off right now!’ Wallace could hear Jeff’s angry voice in the midst of blood, and a few crying workers in agony and pain. God what have I done.

Jeff wanted to get closer, but the unexpected reaction on Wallace’s side scared him off. He watched the angry young man storm off, running away from the shocking doing of his own hands.

© Copyright 2013 papersandapen (papersandapen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967717-Little-Favour