*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1968830-A-long-way-to-go
by Artie
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1968830
Short shots contest entry. A couple peculiar figures begin their journey.
         A heavy grunt escapes him and his hands claw at the rock face for a supporting ledge. His feet aim to find purchase on the rock face. With a push upwards he's pressing his fingers to the rough stone and aiding himself in rising to stand tall. He brings up his arm to wipe the trailing beads of sweat from his face on his red sweatshirt sleeve. "Wow.." Breathes the teen and a smile tugs at his lips at what stood before him. "I can see a long ways on the horizon up here. Griffith come on, look - Griffith?"

         "Yeah yeah I'm coming!" groans the smaller figure as he scrambles up the rock and rises to his feet beside the taller human. No way was he nearly as casually dressed. While the human stood in casual jeans and sweatshirt with a pack on his back, Griffith was bundled up with a scarf that hides most of the lower half of his face. Bright, near white-blue eyes blinked out at the surroundings and his long pointed ears twitched ever so slightly at the sound of birds tweeting and calling in the distance. Slowly he bobs his head in a continued nod, "Yes, very green. Very hilly. Still rubbing it in that I'm from the desert? I'm only travelling with you because you've made this run before." The human chuckles heartily and flashes Griffith a toothy smile, "No, although," he tilts his head back looking up at the mostly cloudless circle in the blanketed sky, "I don't exactly remember that being here. I guess it's not too important, I only wanted to show you what it looked like from here. All the trees, that wide open space. You can't tell me it isn't nice!"

         Griffith slumps his shoulders and spares the scenery another long look to soak it into his mind. It wasn't as great as the hazy desert with its wine red sunsets and its warm glittering sands. It is however, definitely beautiful and homey in it's own ways. Albeit foreign to him, but wonderful all the same. "Yes, it is great. Can we please go now? I have items I still need to deliver!" With that, the short little elf barely reaching hip height on the teen, bounded down the rocky steep and into the tall grass. He had to hop every so often to see over it and that action alone made the human laugh.

"Wait up for me Griffith! I'm bigger and slower than you!"

         The elf only sticks out his tongue and makes an obscene thbt noise in taunting. Upon seeing the human give up scaling the rock and settling for jumping down he cackles and tries to make a get away. He didn't want to have to end this delivery and return home. He had made a friend; a human friend! While this place was much colder, he liked all the places he'd been so far and couldn't wait to see more. On the other side, he missed home. Maybe he could stay a traveler and travel along with the human? "Come along human! I thought you were the one leading. Or has the follower become the leader?" A hand meets the top of his head and his hair is ruffled by the human. Griffiths peevish hands rose to fix the error as he bounced alongside the human. Though a smile pulled at the lips hidden behind the scarf and bright eyes trained up on the taller being with a form of idolization. He wanted to be as happy as the human, to be so free and to go where he wanted.

"What're you waiting for then Griffith? We still have a long way to go!"

Off the two went to continue their adventure to an isolated town. A journey in which more bonds would be made and who knows, perhaps paths will cross and this little elf wont have to go back home with the month was over?



663 words
© Copyright 2013 Artie (ikartstudios at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1968830-A-long-way-to-go