*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1968899-Day-Two
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1968899
The battle isn't going well for Josh...
Link to Day One
 Day One  (E)
He awakes not knowing...
#1968734 by Hyperiongate


Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the line: This isn't over yet.

Day Two

The battle turned against him early on.

The heads-up display was blinking red across the board. Ammo – gone. Life support - failing. Fuel was at less than five percent; barely enough to power a drop out of Real Space. The ship's AI had checked out and began singing Daisy about ten minutes ago.

"on a bicycle built for...Sir, we have multiple incomings; and yes, the shields are still off-line," said the ship; interrupting its self-serenade in a way that said, "we're doomed so why bother?"

Josh hated to run but he hated dying even more.

He sent a wide-cast signal - "This isn't over yet."

Next, he toggled the Drop Switch and fell out of Real Space and into the Void.

The Void was a tricky place at best. Time and space were meaningless. Navigation was out, even if the ship's AI had any interest in doing so. One simply popped into Real Space periodically and took a look around. Hopefully you didn't "pop" into something like a black hole. However, space was a big place and that almost never happened; at least it never happened twice to the same person. Black holes weren't the type to give one a second chance. Once they had you, they didn't let go.

"I'm half crazy, all for the..."

"Ship! I need you to pay attention," said Josh, tiring of the AI's dramatics, "Pop into Real Space and see where we are."

"Yes, sir!"

Immediately, stars filled his field of view.

"Sir, there is an M-type planet only a parsec away. It's small but should have the resources we need."

Josh blinked in a close-up of the small plant. It would have to do. He'd need every bit of it.

"Set a course for..." he blinked up the name and then said, "Earth."

Word Count 300
© Copyright 2013 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1968899-Day-Two