*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969834-Who-Are-We-Really
Rated: E · Editorial · Emotional · #1969834
Editorial Challenge
Who Are We Really?

We are full of symbols proclaiming our sense of justice. Our country was to stand for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Certainly, all wonderful things to stand for but have we achieved them?

As they were writing the Declaration there were slaves on our land. Our great country was built on the seized land of native Americans. Don't forget the basis for all our promises is the Golden Rule.

Can we as a people actually live up to that Rule with a clear conscious. Do we really do unto others as we would have them do unto us? I think not and our soldiers are dying, even today, trying to uphold our honor.

Can we really claim honor when so many in our own country suffer. Little children don't have enough to eat and parents cant make ends meet. Don't forget those same soldiers can't get honorable care at vet hospitals.

We should have realized a long time ago that we couldn't achieve these ideals. One of our most famous symbols silently spoke the truth and no one heard it. The crack in the Liberty Bell was an early call to attention

Then, most recently, our leaders decided to turn off the Statue of Liberty. What a heartbreaking thing to see as we tried to swallow that lump in our throats. She stood there dark and I have no doubt that she cried along with the rest of us.

I have been around to see many changes come about but this era is beyond comprehension. Taking our very choices away. When those lights went out on her, that was the final crack that everybody heard.

Yellow Rose
© Copyright 2014 Yellow Rose (yellowroses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969834-Who-Are-We-Really